U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 12:23 PM

2,513 posts, read 1,603,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle93 View Post
leaving chicago (the city proper) for north carolina, ideally before next winter...it's a shame that things are starting to look up (marijuana legalization, police reform, pretty good response to the pandemic, etc.), but the state isn't progressing fast enough to convince me to stay.
rotflmao
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 10:48 AM

6,522 posts, read 7,829,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Also, Nebraska??? Have you ever driven across that state?

By all means, everybody move to Nebraska and tell me how awesome it is.
No worse than the southern 3/4s of Illinois.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:36 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,101,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
No worse than the southern 3/4s of Illinois.

The southern third of Illinois(Shawnee National Forest)is more scenic than any other portion of the state, barring far NW IL.
That is, unless you consider concrete, steel, and a lake to be attractive.
Having recently driven the border of Nebraska and Kansas, twice; both states are almost treeless; having less eye appeal than all of Illinois.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:34 AM

887 posts, read 495,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The southern third of Illinois(Shawnee National Forest)is more scenic than any other portion of the state, barring far NW IL.
Having recently driven the border of Nebraska and Kansas, twice; both states are almost treeless; having less eye appeal than all of Illinois.
The Shawnee National Forest is very beautiful. I hiked the Garden of the Gods this past summer and couldn't believe that place existed in Illinois.

The point is...outside of Chicago...no one spins the globe and hopes their finger ends up on Illinois. No one plans a vacation to Illinois. No one looks at the winters in Illinois and says I want to move there!. So in many respects if it weren't for Chicago Illinois would be like a Nebraska...or Indiana if you want a better reference point. Flat and boring. So we better compete with other states on more than weather and topography like low taxes, good business climate, great schools, safe place to live, etc.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:52 AM

92 posts, read 64,507 times
Ok well, I'm gonna disagree here a little bit. I'm in unicorp Barrington, it's beautiful here. Whether driving down Cuba rd or route 22 to get to shopping in Lake Zurich, or going up to Tractor Supply in Wauconda or Carpentersville, it's a real nice drive. I'm driving down scenic roads, passing houses on acreage, woods and stuff, rolling hills...it's pretty here. Also, it's not hicksville, but for around $500k, you could get into a decent house on acreage, yet be in downtown Chgo within 45 min (if you time it right), or just hop on the metra if you don't wanna drive.

Old 02-18-2021, 02:54 PM
Status: "And just like that, Covid was gone." (set 23 days ago)

8,187 posts, read 7,096,461 times
Quote:
I've been there to that beautiful place and you are 100% right!

So many beautiful places in Illinois!

Old 02-18-2021, 03:11 PM

1,626 posts, read 1,598,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Hey if your Job is in the city! Great! If you believe that the corrupt Illinois government can spend your money better than you can, then so bet it. Sure, the downtown real estate does appreciate well, but what about the rest of the state? The real estate barely appreciates. What about the next reset?? Theres so many houses that have been upsidedown out there that its insane. That state and city are completely corrupt and I chose to left. I could have moved anywhere I wanted as my company is entirely online. You are naming one industry doing well or "upcoming" what about the rest of them ? The state is in near last place for job growth, and is completely broke. They are the second worst in the entire country at the moment for unemployment. Add up your 5% state income tax you pay for the next 30 years. See how much you are giving .....then you will know
Second place for unemployment in the country? You lost all cred bud. Near last place for job growth? Our unemployment rate is better than NY, CA Hawaii, Colorado, Nevada amongst others. Middle of the pack for unemployment, considering the hit Chicago took for tourism and conferences, better than expected. Chicago appreciated 17% year over year in real estate according to Redfin. The State of Illinois appreciated 7.7% during 2020. Stay off this forum if you are printing fake facts, and spellcheck and good grammar are your friends.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:36 PM

842 posts, read 1,175,477 times
Moved to Chicago a couple years back and have never stopped loving it. Just purchased a nice townhome with a yard in a nice neighborhood with access to the L a short walk away. Really love this city and the people, but it's not without its flaws, of course.

I'll also stick up for Illinois here. Yes, the political climate is not great (then again neither was any state I lived in), but love my trips to Starved Rock (though my favorite is actually Matthiessen) and to beautiful towns on the Mississippi. Had a great time in Southern Illinois at Garden of the Gods and in the Cache River cypress wetlands (highly recommended!). I would really like to check out Cahokia, and I think I'm planning on doing some rafting on the Vermillion if the condition are good this Spring.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:02 AM

842 posts, read 353,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Ok well, I'm gonna disagree here a little bit. I'm in unicorp Barrington, it's beautiful here. Whether driving down Cuba rd or route 22 to get to shopping in Lake Zurich, or going up to Tractor Supply in Wauconda or Carpentersville, it's a real nice drive. I'm driving down scenic roads, passing houses on acreage, woods and stuff, rolling hills...it's pretty here. Also, it's not hicksville, but for around $500k, you could get into a decent house on acreage, yet be in downtown Chgo within 45 min (if you time it right), or just hop on the metra if you don't wanna drive.
We lived near the areas you described and I loved it. Driving from Crystal Lake to Long Grove for shopping was so enjoyable. Had a doctor in downtown Barrington and always liked that town I’d still be in the nw ‘burbs if husband didn’t hate cold weather so much. I love 4 seasons.

People who think IL is boring should drive towards the Mississippi, too—it’s beautiful and rolling out there.

Old 02-19-2021, 10:19 AM

7,494 posts, read 7,556,859 times
Quote:
Yeah, both Kansas and Nebraska are some of the most mind-numbingly dull states in the country. There are a few interesting areas like the Flint Hills in KS and the Scottsbluff area of NE but that’s about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois