Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 09:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
All states have their issues. I can think of a couple of State Houses that could teach the 'machine' a whole set of new tricks.

Well the thing is when an Irish, Italian, Jewish or Black person takes care of his friends it's "corruption" but when a ring knocking WASP takes care of his friends it's "good government".

Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
LOL! I was meant to be a light hearted joke. I thinking along the lines of the novel ways legislators play games in different states. Sundown towns vs Blue laws vs ABC regs.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 36,771 times
Yes, finally moving out of this state, and cannot wait! We were born and raised in Peoria, left there and went to Southern Illinois....HUGE MISTAKE. We've been here for 13 years, and we are finally done, ready to move on. We're moving to the U.P., and actually while our pay will be a little less, their cost of living is better, and their property taxes are much less than ours here. And, we will get to enjoy snow...there is no snow here, and the humidity stinks. We have more complaints about our current city, although we didn't want to settle in Peoria (wanted to raise our kids in a smaller town). Debbie is quite right about the property taxes....ridiculous, and our schools here are not the greatest (we paid $6900 this year for property taxes in a small town). Someone mentioned researching...a great idea However, as far as the grass not always greener.....I say it can't get any browner than it is here (Figuratively and literally). We spent the last two years looking for a place we would like to stay in after our kids are out of the house. I hope we've found it in Michigan...we're renting for a while to be on the safe side

Old 09-01-2012, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 36,771 times
Linicx said: "Most travelers ignore downstate because of distance between the mid-size cities and the abundance of small towns and two lane roads. I can't say that I blame them. Visitors who come for business reasons and expect horses and wooden sidewalks are generally pleased with their experience. Yes, it would be nice to have some star awarded restaurants for bragging rights, but you can still find some really good food because IL cooks are pretty good from border to border" (I apologize...I'm new to the website and I can't seem to find how to post quotes the right way)

I'm glad people from upstate come visit Southern Illinois, but you definitely can't get a good feel of the lifestyle here unless you've lived it. We've been here 13 years, and we are still outsiders from "up north". Our area is considered transient, but the people who come in to work for Walgreens or Continental all leave as quickly as they can because the residents do not allow outsiders to break into their cliques. We've built a solid friendship with people here over 13 years--most of them people from other places that come in and leave after a few years. I've lived in Peoria, Springfield, Carbondale, and Mt. Vernon....I felt most comfortable in Springfield. I know every place has its ups and downs, but Southern Illinois is really very depressed, both emotionally and economically. My husband and I both tried to get involved in the community and help, but we've been turned away multiple times by the powers that be mainly because "we're not from there". I understand that many towns can be like this, but it makes it difficult to live in, especially when you try to get involved with your kids in activities, and find out they aren't accepted because their Great Great Grandparents weren't born and raised here. I don't want to be all negative....I do like the small town atmosphere. But, there have to be smaller towns out there that don't have such stringent requirements.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 PM

There are small towns where you don't find it. .

All little towns are clannish to some degree, but SoIL tends to carry it to the extreme. I personally think a lot of it has much to do with the unspoken presence of the hate groups. Outsiders are not welcome at all in these areas. Period. There was a similar complaint from a lady of color who married a white man and move to SoIL for work; they did not stay.

This is an example of why I say to do your research. Stay at week at a motel. Read the local newspapers. Go to the grocery store and observe who is shopping. Read the yellow pages in the phone book. Eat at the most popular restaurant in town. Drive around off the main street. Talk to the teachers. River towns have a different vibe than a landlocked town. Towns that are more neutral regarding religion and politics, and towns that are racially integrated better, have a different vibe too.

If you are looking for a smaller town in Illinois to relocate here are a few I like. Some are county seats, some are not. I lived in some, but not all. I spent enough time over 30 years to form an opinion.

Astoria, Bartonville, Brimfield, Browning, Dunlap, East Peoria, El Paso, Eureka, Farmington, Havana, Jacksonville, Lewistown, Lincoln, Mt. Sterling, Manito, Mason City, Metamora, Mossville, Normal, Peoria Heights, Petersburg, Pittsfield, Robein, Rushville, and Washington. This representing 25 places in 13 counties.

The places above are listed in one of these counties: Brown, Fulton, Logan, McLean, Marshall, Mason, Menard, Morgan, Peoria, Pike, Schuyler, Tazewell and Woodford Counties.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,189,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoontobeYooper View Post
Linicx said: "Most travelers ignore downstate because of distance between the mid-size cities and the abundance of small towns and two lane roads. I can't say that I blame them. Visitors who come for business reasons and expect horses and wooden sidewalks are generally pleased with their experience. Yes, it would be nice to have some star awarded restaurants for bragging rights, but you can still find some really good food because IL cooks are pretty good from border to border" (I apologize...I'm new to the website and I can't seem to find how to post quotes the right way)

I'm glad people from upstate come visit Southern Illinois, but you definitely can't get a good feel of the lifestyle here unless you've lived it. We've been here 13 years, and we are still outsiders from "up north". Our area is considered transient, but the people who come in to work for Walgreens or Continental all leave as quickly as they can because the residents do not allow outsiders to break into their cliques. We've built a solid friendship with people here over 13 years--most of them people from other places that come in and leave after a few years. I've lived in Peoria, Springfield, Carbondale, and Mt. Vernon....I felt most comfortable in Springfield. I know every place has its ups and downs, but Southern Illinois is really very depressed, both emotionally and economically. My husband and I both tried to get involved in the community and help, but we've been turned away multiple times by the powers that be mainly because "we're not from there". I understand that many towns can be like this, but it makes it difficult to live in, especially when you try to get involved with your kids in activities, and find out they aren't accepted because their Great Great Grandparents weren't born and raised here. I don't want to be all negative....I do like the small town atmosphere. But, there have to be smaller towns out there that don't have such stringent requirements.
I hope your move works out well, the UP is gorgeous. Please post back and let us know how it goes. I am really curious to see if the Yoopers will be more accepting; I have heard stories that they are not. I look forward to hearing positive first hand accounts that completely refute what I have heard.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
To be honest, I've never seen a mopier people in my life as when I've been in the UP. Nice country up there though.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM

Default Thanks

My fav lawyer is from UP. I never did understand why he was humorless and a bit dour all the time until I read your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
To be honest, I've never seen a mopier people in my life as when I've been in the UP. Nice country up there though.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,870,212 times
Its just about ready to snow up there now. I would be dour too.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Its just about ready to snow up there now. I would be dour too.
As the old saying goes up there, "we have two seasons in the U.P. -- 'Winter's Coming' and 'Winter's Here.'"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois