Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,036 times

Advertisements

Cairo was a wonderful city in the 50's, it now is an example of why you can not give people something for nothing. Race and greed destroyed a once beautiful city. The blacks felt they deserved more and they whites did not want to give up what they had worked for. the government tried giving more to the have nots and that will never work.

Boycotte may work wonders in large cities; Cairo is also the result of small town boyacott.

The old damaged building can not be destroyed because of asbestos, I guess the government has to draw a line some where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:27 PM

65 posts, read 293,652 times
Default I-57

The people in charge did not want I-57 running through town. Turned out to be a poor choice.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,985,578 times
I-57 doesn't run "through" Cairo, but it's about a mile from the exit to town. About the same as all towns of similar size.

For all intents and purposes, Cairo is located on I-57.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 38,445 times
I am curious about this town as it is in the "middle of nowhere" BUT what about Paducah or better yet, Carbondale?! I was browsing jobs and since I want to attend SUI, I figured Cairo might be a good bet- but since we have kids (check Sex Offender list- creepy) I'm from Chicago and we have suburbs 45 minutes away! I read a thread which declared they did not know why folks did not come to Cairo in droves- well, that's because they are like me and my husband: too broke to move! Well, at least right this minute. Where is the local government in Cairo- anyone know? Sounds like Marion would be a better deal.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:08 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em1970 View Post
I am curious about this town as it is in the "middle of nowhere" BUT what about Paducah or better yet, Carbondale?! I was browsing jobs and since I want to attend SUI, I figured Cairo might be a good bet- but since we have kids (check Sex Offender list- creepy) I'm from Chicago and we have suburbs 45 minutes away! I read a thread which declared they did not know why folks did not come to Cairo in droves- well, that's because they are like me and my husband: too broke to move! Well, at least right this minute. Where is the local government in Cairo- anyone know? Sounds like Marion would be a better deal.
I made a trade last week that required me to take a vehicle down to Sikeston to meet the guy.... I hadn't been through Cairo in a few years and decided to drive around in town and show my kid some of the big old houses.....Cairo has been going down for decades,but I was floored at what a dump it now is.

Cops everywhere with people pulled over in parking lots and side streets(we were followed right on our back bumper by one all the way through the old main street as we took pictures of the decaying buildings...He may have been doing us a favor) .....EVERYTHING either boarded up or behind steel screens......windows busted out of both unoccupied and occupied buildings....IMO East St.Louis almost looks like a country club compared to that mess.

I'd say the best way to "revitalize" Cairo would be with a half dozen D11 L track Cat bulldozers....have them start on one side of town blade to blade and shove the whole mess into the river and then plant corn where it once stood.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 AM

767 posts, read 2,057,561 times
Obviously, there hasn't been much in the way of competent leadership in Cairo. A good mayor and city council could tap into numerous sources of funding and adopt other types of economic incentive programs (such as TIF, economic stimulus grants, development of enterprise zones, establishment of business incubators, and and apply for rural development funds in order to facilitate growth and make the town a better place to live). Tax abatement programs could facilitate new businesses moving to town and individuals building new homes there. More businesses and new homes mean much more in the way of tax revenue to improve existing city infrastructure and the school system. Things seem so bad there now that special government funding for targeted areas might also be available. Leadership also has to develop a strategy for marketing the city to potential businesses and residents and work closely with local civic and community groups in order to improve various aspects of living in the town.. It sounds like the current city leadership needs to pack their bags to make room for a new, dynamic group to come in who can get the job done. Obviously, the current leadership team is not getting the job done. The results are just not there.

Last edited by Central Illinois 1; 06-14-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 10:43 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Obviously, there hasn't been much in the way of competent leadership in Cairo. A good mayor and city council could tap into numerous sources of funding and adopt other types of economic incentive programs (such as TIF, economic stimulus grants, development of enterprise zones, establishment of business incubators, and and apply for rural development funds in order to facilitate growth and make the town a better place to live). Tax abatement programs could facilitate new businesses moving to town and individuals building new homes there. More businesses and new homes mean much more in the way of tax revenue to improve existing city infrastructure and the school system. Things seem so bad there now that special government funding for targeted areas might also be available. Leadership also has to develop a strategy for marketing the city to potential businesses and residents and work closely with local civic and community groups in order to improve various aspects of living in the town.. It sounds like the current city leadership needs to pack their bags to make room for a new, dynamic group to come in who can get the job done. Obviously, the current leadership team is not getting the job done. The results are just not there.
You are right about that....you can almost FEEL the corruption and seediness in the air...it is unreal.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,648,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
A good mayor and city council could tap into numerous sources of funding and adopt other types of economic incentive programs (such as TIF, economic stimulus grants, development of enterprise zones, establishment of business incubators, and and apply for rural development funds in order to facilitate growth and make the town a better place to live). Tax abatement programs could facilitate new businesses moving to town and individuals building new homes there. More businesses and new homes mean much more in the way of tax revenue to improve existing city infrastructure and the school system. Things seem so bad there now that special government funding for targeted areas might also be available. Leadership also has to develop a strategy for marketing the city to potential businesses and residents and work closely with local civic and community groups in order to improve various aspects of living in the town.. It sounds like the current city leadership needs to pack their bags to make room for a new, dynamic group to come in who can get the job done.

With all respect I gotta ask "why bother"? I don't see the place as worth the effort, an effort that if made would probably fail anyway. Cairo is a place that time passed by, it's done. I think the ole Skinner has the right idea.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:18 PM

5,398 posts, read 8,078,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'd say the best way to "revitalize" Cairo would be with a half dozen D11 L track Cat bulldozers....have them start on one side of town blade to blade and shove the whole mess into the river and then plant corn where it once stood.
You idea seems to be catching on:
US cities may have to be bulldozed in order to survive - Telegraph

Old 06-14-2009, 07:52 PM

767 posts, read 2,057,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
With all respect I gotta ask "why bother"? I don't see the place as worth the effort, an effort that if made would probably fail anyway. Cairo is a place that time passed by, it's done. I think the ole Skinner has the right idea.
Well the dozers are tempting. But where do the people go and who pays for all of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois