Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Who are the voters that keep Madigan and Cullerton and their failed policies in office?
I am a bit disappointed in the national results but can see some silver linings, but am terribly disappointed about the State office results. What "brilliant" laws will get shoved down our throats during the upcoming lame duck session?
My guess is it is those who have a stake in the public pension system and social services system and do not want to see any cut backs in what they receive. But are there that many with direct ties to these funds that they totally overwhelm the results? Or are too many voters just not very well informed? Or have the Republican candidates been stained by the Tea Party or past practices? How many stories about state legislator's passing laws to stuff their pockets, those of their friends and those who contribu$e to their pockets do voters need to read before this changes? Perhaps it's because we are faced with a lose/lose situation. Raise taxes or see benefits curtailed. I'm just scratching my head trying to figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I hate to say this, but more than a few legislators are from the Chicagoland area. Chicago and Springfield are joined at the hip. I think it will take a concentrated effort to defeat the machine, and how precincts politics are controlled. Don't forget it all started in NYC, and was solidly embedded, before it was forced out. If you want to change it four years from now, you have to start now.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I anxiously await illumination of the comment "it all started in NYC"....

Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I anxiously await illumination of the comment "it all started in NYC"....
I'm surprised there aren't more responses. Maybe many are in a "same old song and dance" coma or are busy enjoying the POTUS victory.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:33 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
[quote=cubssoxfan;26846115]Who are the voters that keep Madigan and Cullerton and their failed policies in office?[quote]

People in IL House District 22 vote for Madigan.

People in IL Senate District 6 vote for Cullerton.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Not what I MEANT. Why did the D majority change into a SUPER majority given their poor track record the last 10 years?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Not what I MEANT. Why did the D majority change into a SUPER majority given their poor track record the last 10 years?
You did ask who votes for Cullerton and Madigan. People who live in those districts like their representation and vote for the guys.

Poor track record is bi partisan and goes back, oh at least 30 years.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
You did ask who votes for Cullerton and Madigan. People who live in those districts like their representation and vote for the guys.

Poor track record is bi partisan and goes back, oh at least 30 years.
You are correct that the "Combine" has seen corruption from both sides. But tell me what a Democratically controlled legislature under Madigan's leadership has accomplished, especially the last 10 years. The fiscal issues plaguing the State didn't just pop up. Normally when the party in control does not address the main fiscal issues, the other party is voted in. Why is this not the case in Illinois? I have my theories but want to hear others.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
You are correct that the "Combine" has seen corruption from both sides. But tell me what a Democratically controlled legislature under Madigan's leadership has accomplished, especially the last 10 years. The fiscal issues plaguing the State didn't just pop up. Normally when the party in control does not address the main fiscal issues, the other party is voted in. Why is this not the case in Illinois? I have my theories but want to hear others.
That's a different question. I believe Edgar was involved in the 90s with the deferral of paying in to the pensions.

I imagine if you live in Madigan's district you probably like him.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:59 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
What all started in NYC, Linicx?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois