Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 PM

389 posts, read 920,911 times

Advertisements

I have seen some time ago, few new test cars on red line that featured little more space, security camera, new announcement system with live tracking map. Have they given up? The current subway cars we have are very outdated compared to other cities in North America.

NYC got new trains and it probably has had them for a long time now. Toronto subways upgraded to new cars with more space and feature an open gangway allowing passengers to walk from one end of the train to the other. I had a chance to be in HK and see MTR as modern subway and they have open gangway. In addition there, when the train moves, you get a little nice cool wind blowing from direction of the train goes, which is relief when in warm crowds and it does not smell at all. As for whether American subways will ever get safety glass doors installed on platforms, I dunno. I guess as long as people are nice and don't push others into train racks, we don't have accidents and we are safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I have seen some time ago, few new test cars on red line that featured little more space, security camera, new announcement system with live tracking map. Have they given up? The current subway cars we have are very outdated compared to other cities in North America.

NYC got new trains and it probably has had them for a long time now. Toronto subways upgraded to new cars with more space and feature an open gangway allowing passengers to walk from one end of the train to the other. I had a chance to be in HK and see MTR as modern subway and they have open gangway. In addition there, when the train moves, you get a little nice cool wind blowing from direction of the train goes, which is relief when in warm crowds and it does not smell at all. As for whether American subways will ever get safety glass doors installed on platforms, I dunno. I guess as long as people are nice and don't push others into train racks, we don't have accidents and we are safe
Given the cost of El cars and the fact that they have about a 30 year lifetime(with a major rebuild at 15), it takes a long time to replace or upgrade the current cars. Thoose new cars are replacements for the 2200's which started service in 1969! Anyway the CTA does get new trains from time to time but to replace everything at once...nope not gonna happen bar disater.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 AM

25 posts, read 58,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
CTA has been testing the 5000-series 'L' cars for a few years now. The 5000s have LED roller curtains, live tracking maps, and are AC powered so they accelerate/decelerate much more smoothly. I believe the CTA has a big fleet on order, and the 5000s are being incorporated into the system as the cars arrive from the manufacturer.

I think the Pink Line uses almost exclusively 5000s now. I have also ridden 5000s on the Red Line, but most trains are still composed of 2600s. The blinker-door 2200s from the 1970s have finally been retired, about time

Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
They have those cars on the red, green and pink lines. I imagine it will take a while before all cars on the red line are replaced.

I don't feel that the subway cars here are anymore outdated than the ones in Boston (save for the new green line cars there), or DC (which feel very much like something created in 1970).

Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
This should be moved to the Chicago forum!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM

389 posts, read 920,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
This should be moved to the Chicago forum!
I agree, somehow however i posted it in illinois forum when i thought i was podting in chicago.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardown54 View Post
CTA has been testing the 5000-series 'L' cars for a few years now. The 5000s have LED roller curtains, live tracking maps, and are AC powered so they accelerate/decelerate much more smoothly. I believe the CTA has a big fleet on order, and the 5000s are being incorporated into the system as the cars arrive from the manufacturer.

I think the Pink Line uses almost exclusively 5000s now. I have also ridden 5000s on the Red Line, but most trains are still composed of 2600s. The blinker-door 2200s from the 1970s have finally been retired, about time
Blinker-door cars are still common on the Blue Line; just saw some yesterday in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: