U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 05:04 PM

19 posts, read 17,116 times

Advertisements

Hello

I've used city-data so many times in the past and I always find at least a few helpful posters, so I'm back. Moving again. Hopefully this time to settle a little more permanently..ish. My husband grew up in Streator and he and I are currently living there. Over the past 5 years we've lived in Ottawa, Streator and then Bloomington for two years before moving to Tucson for the past year. (I love Tucson so much that I hate that I'm even having to look for anywhere that isn't Tucson =( ) Anyhow, we're thinking about Pontiac. Family is in Streator/Ottawa, husband's work and things that we like to do are in Bloomington. We don't want to move back to Bloomington, though. We have a baby now and we're looking for a smaller town to settle in. We're going to go down to Pontiac and spend a day or two casing the place but I'd like to hear your knowledgeable opinions, too. Good areas? Hidden gems? Places to avoid? We'll be renting at first so any suggestions on that would be great, too. It's me, my husband and my 8 month old son. We have two cats. We're thinking about trying out the Episcopal church? Any one familiar with it?

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:22 PM

30 posts, read 37,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millshre View Post
Hello

I've used city-data so many times in the past and I always find at least a few helpful posters, so I'm back. Moving again. Hopefully this time to settle a little more permanently..ish. My husband grew up in Streator and he and I are currently living there. Over the past 5 years we've lived in Ottawa, Streator and then Bloomington for two years before moving to Tucson for the past year. (I love Tucson so much that I hate that I'm even having to look for anywhere that isn't Tucson =( ) Anyhow, we're thinking about Pontiac. Family is in Streator/Ottawa, husband's work and things that we like to do are in Bloomington. We don't want to move back to Bloomington, though. We have a baby now and we're looking for a smaller town to settle in. We're going to go down to Pontiac and spend a day or two casing the place but I'd like to hear your knowledgeable opinions, too. Good areas? Hidden gems? Places to avoid? We'll be renting at first so any suggestions on that would be great, too. It's me, my husband and my 8 month old son. We have two cats. We're thinking about trying out the Episcopal church? Any one familiar with it?

Thanks so much!
I used C-D in the past for moving too - it's great. Not sure how much help you'll get on this one, but have you been to Pontiac? The population is under 12,000. I don't think it would be possible to spend 2 whole days casing the place.

It's been a while since I've been through, but last I recall it was like most small towns with things kinda mixed in. Unless there's a realtor helping you, I'd just make appointments in one day, and drive around looking in-between.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 PM

19 posts, read 17,116 times
Thanks for responding! You're right, it is quite small. However, I'm originally from a town of about 5k, so it's not all that tiny to me. We're kind of weird. We'll spend some time looking at restaurants, schools, businesses etc and then spend tons of time driving around neighborhoods looking at old houses and stuff just to get a feel for things. We spent 45 minutes driving around looking at random houses (just to admire, not to even think about buying or anything) in Ottawa and we're not even planning on living there! We just want to spend a couple of days to see if it "feels" right for us, I guess.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:57 AM

11,544 posts, read 22,630,298 times
I live in small town Illinois. I've lived in small town America for about 25 years because I like it. Life in not the same today as it was even 30 years ago. Most are isolated, have few residential services and medical care is not very good.

I had relatives in Tuscon, so I can understand your reluctance to leave. B-N and Peoria can offer everything Tuscon does except Trader Joe's, mountains and desert living. While you are looking, you might take a look at Eureka. It is half the size of Pontiac, and I believe Woodford and McLean counties share a border. The two communities are as different as a cat and a boat even though they are both farm towns.

If Eureka has an advantage it is you would have easy accss tp a larger area for major shopping with Costco, Sam's Club and and full compliment of national stores between B-N and Peoria plus shopping in Springfield. Between the three areas you'll find 5 malls. 4 zoological parks, 9 hospitals, more than a dozen grocers and specialty vendors, large parks and family recreation, community events, theatre, and 1000 restaurants. You'll also find 5 excellent schools for continuing education plus nursing schools, medical school, and trade schools.

The church Rector is Rev. Carolyn Bevaro. It is a member church of the Chicago Diocese;its Bishop is Dr. Lee.

Most of the children's doctors in central Illinois, including those who are affiliated with Pontiac hospital also practice at Children's Hospital. Here are links.

Home: Home | Children's Hospital of Illinois
Grace Episcopal Church - "Come grow in God's love...experience Grace."
Eureka, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois