Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times

Advertisements

I left NW IL a few years ago for Az for health reasons....the heat and low humidity help my arthritis and fibromyalgia. But I lived there over 30 years and, aside from weather, absolutely loved it!

My brother is still living there (Freeport) and he and his wife own a very modest tract house(worth about $40,000 in good repair) with a badly leaking roof. (currently has a tarp over it) She is disabled; he has worked his whole life and is still working, but his hours have been cut and they have been living paycheck to paycheck for a long time. He's never been in the position of being able to save money.....just has never made enough. He does own the house, though, with no mortgage. This is kinda a long shot, but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a program to help homeowners with major repairs. I'm in no position to help them out myself....my own future is kind of precarious due to health problems, very high insurance premiums, and divorce. (unwanted by me)
He's tried the VA (served in Army in Korea) but they can only offer a few hundred dollars. He's tried getting a loan, but can't.(bad credit, tight restrictions) He's asked a few organizations, but no money available. He's willing to pay it all back, but honestly, I don't know what they're going to do.....there seems to be no help anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Yes there is help. Low income families, disabled, and seniors in rural areas -- not Cook County may qualify for home repair loans at 1% interest. Champaign serves a large portion of Illinois. They will know the nearest Field Office if you do not find it in the list here. There is grant money available for smaller repairs and handicap necessities. The 16" handicap toilet is nice. The doctor can order the toilet handrails. Medicare will pay it as well as walkers, wheel chairs, ports-potty, etc.. The Division of Blind and Hearing provides other aids.

USDA Rural Development-IL_Contact Us

There is an Illinois Weatherization program for low income. It won't do much good until the roof is fixed. IF the insulation is wet, you will need to get rid of it. You do NOT want hidden mold in your house. Insulation at 15 - 20 years is end of life, anyway.

http://www.benefits.gov/benefits/ben...t-details/1850

Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 AM

Thank you so much, linicx, for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it! I clicked on the links you provided. As I understand it, the first only supplies help for repair loans to persons age 62 and over. Did I misunderstand? My brother is 56, his wife 55. The help in the weatherization program applies to the need for the insulation to be replaced if damaged by the leaking, right?
Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Rural Development it is a new name for an government program that was probably created in the '30s to help folks who live in rural America. Chances are if they can't do "A", they can do "B", or they know of another program that offers a different level of services similar to A and B. The first step is to to talk to the program Administrator in the office nearest your brother to determine if the town he lives in considered 'rural', and which services they may qualify for. That your brother's wife is handicapped may well change the qualifiers in their favor.

What the Weatherization program can/will do depends upon [1] the contractor hired by the state that works in the area where your brother lives, and [2]*the services the company decides to offer. Some of the companies are very good, and some are awful.

Habitate For Humanity does not advertise everything it does. I'm pretty sure it has a list of contractors who may be able to help your brother.

Habitat for Humanity of Illinois - News

Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks again for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: