Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,933 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that students are not required to register their vehicles in IL or get an IL driver's license.

How does this work out in the cities and villages that require stickers?

How's it work out in any way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 04:41 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
All vehicles that have an Illinois license plate are registered. All residents in Cook County buy a parking sticker good in their respective villages, towns, cities, townships, etc.. It may or may not include the City of Chicago - which also requires a paid parking sticker. As far as I know all Illinois drivers are licensed. Learner Permits, as far as I know, reuqire an adult licensed driver to be present when student is driving.

Transit in Chicago is good enough most don't need a car. If you need one for a special event you can rent a Zip Ca,r or from a car rental agency. There is also taxi and limo service.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:19 PM

369 posts, read 759,659 times
It all depends on where you claim your primary residence. You're not required to have an Illinois license and registration if your primary residence is in a different state. As far as I know this also makes you immune from having to get a vehicle sticker, since your primary residence isn't in that city. They're typically only required for residents. For places that only allow street parking with a vehicle sticker you might want to get one anyway so you can park.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
It all depends on where you claim your primary residence. You're not required to have an Illinois license and registration if your primary residence is in a different state. As far as I know this also makes you immune from having to get a vehicle sticker, since your primary residence isn't in that city. They're typically only required for residents. For places that only allow street parking with a vehicle sticker you might want to get one anyway so you can park.
This is the statute...

Sec. 6-102. What persons are exempt. The following persons are exempt from the requirements of Section 6-101 and are not required to have an Illinois drivers license or permit if one or more of the following qualifying exemptions are met and apply:
1. Any employee of the United States Government or

any member of the Armed Forces of the United States, while operating a motor vehicle owned by or leased to the United States Government and being operated on official business need not be licensed;
2. A nonresident who has in his immediate possession

a valid license issued to him in his home state or country may operate a motor vehicle for which he is licensed for the period during which he is in this State;
3. A nonresident and his spouse and children living with him who is a student at a college or university in Illinois who have a valid license issued by their home State.

It doesn't say squat about what happens if you buy real estate, work, etc.

And no, I'm not interested moving my residence from where I am.

Last edited by pnwmdk; 05-28-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-30-2013, 11:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyJaneway View Post
Well I can't speak for other cities that require window stickers but in Chicago you are required to buy a city sticker if your car is "principally garaged" in the city for at least 30 days out of the year, regardless of where it's registered or where your permanent address is.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 PM

15 posts, read 42,302 times
Its an mandatory to get a IL License, when we get the vehicle..Otherwise it causes to punishment by the IL Govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois