Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM

6 posts, read 9,492 times

Advertisements

Hello! Newbie here. Long time lurker first time poster.

First of all, I am black and my wife is white. Not that it should matter. We have two beautiful children ( 9 y/o and 2 y/o) who are relocating from MN to the Peoria area for a great job opportunity. We've visited metro Peoria on multiple occasions and are excited to integrate (no pun intended) into the community. People have been very nice to us and we have never felt unwelcome.

My job will require me to occasionally travel to Bloomington-Normal so I was looking into moving to Tazewell county. East Peoria seems fantastic and the people I've met have been kind. But only white people live there (97%). I was surprised because it's right over the river from Peoria where the percentage is about 70%. I looked into other areas in Tazewell county that seemed nice and found that those areas were almost exclusively white as well. Morton (97%), Pekin (96%), and Washington (98%) fall into this category.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Would I place my family in danger if I moved into one of those communities? Again, I really like those areas but I've got a family to think about. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,132,872 times
Peoria is the oldes settled community on the longest river in the state. It is also the largest community in the Illinois River Valley. Peoria was built on the backs of brown, black, yellow, red and white labor. It was a black man that lived in Peoria who sold his property and personal goods.. He traveled north and founded Chicago. Chicago was a a city in Peoria County for a number of years before Cook County was formed

Peoria is not segregated by race as much as it is by money. You will find all kinds of families in Peoria. Black families attend white churches. White families attend black churches. Why? [A] They feel welcomed. [b] They like the church. Peoria has a very large religious community that celebrates each others faith. Many church members donate many hours annually to the community. It really doesn't make any difference if you are a white AME or black Jew you and your family will be welcomed. There are probably a 100 churches in Peoria that represents every organized faith in America. Black, white, mixed, South Pole, North Pole or Mars; no one cares. Peorians do not generally have that step n' fetch mentality. There are exceptions to everything. Most responsible adults in Peoria are not rude and they are kind and generous.

Sixty-five years ago it cost $5 to go the doctor. The towns around Peoria were much, much smaller farming communities that were predominately white like Ivory Soap - if you remember the commercials. The descendants of these farmers still live in the same towns, in some of the same houses, and now enjoy their grandchildren. I lived in the primary cities in five of the seven counties at one time or other plus Bloomington. Some of the cities had 'sundown' laws. A few of those cites still have that mentality, and they are still thuggish. And there are a few new NIMBY groups who suffer from too much new wealth that have forgotten their manners. It is to be exected. Peoria - Bloomington MSA is over a half-million and growing.

There will be a couple of things that make a difference. The first question is IF you work in Peoria, do you really want to drive 45 minuntes on ice and snow? If you have a critically ill child how far do you want to drive to the hospital?

Conversely, the majority of family events, shopping and doctors, and things children do are in Peoria. It is a city that loves kids and families. It always has. Yes there is crime and drugs, but it is in specific area where you do not have to live. There are a dozen grocers and enough stores to shop til you drop. But that is not important.

The only hospital in Illinois that treats more critically ill children than is OSF -Peoria is in Chicago OSF is the only hospital in the state that is affiliated with Easter Seals, Shriners Children's Hospitals, and St. Jude's Research hospital. It is also affiliated with Mayo Clinic, and the University of Illinois. The Peoria Park District has many parks and facilities including a zoo, and three parks that are several hundred acres each. You don't have to buy a pass to drive through the park or stop and have a picnic - but you will if you have 30 people. The zoo is in the process of building a children's museum in Glen Oak Park. There are two theatre groups who mentor children.

The Peoria Santa Parade is the oldest in the nation. East Peoria's FOLEPI is on the largest night time Christmas Parades in the US. I believe that ultimately you and your family will be happier in Peoria because of the convenience and many choices available. I know I was. Peoria offers many more job opportunities, and more opportunities for advancement, than in the surrounding towns.

I was raised in Peoria by my Victorian grandmothers. I do understand the area. I will still take Peoria, warts and all, even after more than 7 decades.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Welcome to Peoria.

Whether you buy or rent it is the perfect time of year to find a home. Logistically it horrible as this is the time of year when road construction is the busiest. This year construction has been complicated by destruction from spring flooding not seen in 70 years.

Renting can be thorny as some rental management companies perform background checks, criminal check, employment history, FICO, ect, - at least they did 2 years ago. A friend of mine moved from out of state and had to live with family for 6 weeks while he waited for an apartment. His circumstances were different as he was unemployed.

In any case you want to live NORTH of War Memorial (US 150) for the schools. It is an area that generally has larger homes. IE 3 bedroom, 1+ bath, basement, attached garage, larger lots.

Peoria offers public, private, and religious elementary schools, public and Catholic high school, and several options for continuing education including medical and nursing colleges. Your child can earn a doctorate in math, science technology or education, and never live farther than 40 miles from home. Homeschool is also an option.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,492 times
Thanks for your reply. It is apparent that wonderful opportunities exist for families in Peoria. You mentioned that the area is segregated by money more so than race. Is that to say that minorities cannot afford to live in those areas? I am not trying to put words in your mouth if I misunderstood you. I am just trying to get an idea if those smaller communities are "off limits" for me and my family.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,465,072 times
With children in school, you may want to consider the farther North and West sections of Peoria in which the children will attend schools within the Dunlap school district. It is surprisingly diverse and is one of the top districts in the state. One not need to live anywhere near the actual Village of Dunlap to be within the district.

Dunlap CUSD #323 -

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 AM

The comment about race v money was strictly about Peoria. There are some places in the United States where you would be herded to a less than sterling neighborhood based on color or dress. In Peoria, if you can buy a million dollar house a realtor will gladly find it for you. They won't try to put you all black neighborhood on the south side that is gang and drug infested.

The East Peoria and Peoria district 150 public school systems move all children to new schools every 2-3 years until high school. Peoria has many types of living styles from single units in neighborhoods to duplex, condo, apartment complex, lofts, and single family homes in subdivisions with cup du sac, and small closed neighborhoods. Closed in this case means there is only one entrance and exit for local traffic. These are not usually more than 2-3 blocks long on one street.

The trouble with the small white communities is the "my dog is bigger than your dog" arrogance. Some are not as nice as others. No area is off limits as long as
you understand there is little to no racial diversity and children can be very cruel to each other. It is also much harder to be accepted in small town, clannish, America. If makes no difference if you were born on Mars, or in a town ten miles away. It is what it is. You will be inspected and discussed for the first three years. When I moved to my little town I was treated like I just grew a new set of horns even though I had lived there 30 years earlier. Go figure.

I will not recommend towns that I know are thuggish. Many of the towns are upscale white collar communities - business owners, middle management, bankers, stock brokers, etc.. These adults have a better than average annual income. Labor is a big force in Peoria as it is a union town. It is also a STEM and research city. If you work for the City of Peoria I believe you must live inside the city limits, but I could be wrong.

If you do not want to live in the City of Peoria, but you want good schools I would look at Peoria Heights, Bartonville, Washington, and possibly Metamora.
You can also live on the fringe of Peoria such as off Galena Road (IL29) between Peoria and Mossville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornedWolverine View Post
Thanks for your reply. It is apparent that wonderful opportunities exist for families in Peoria. You mentioned that the area is segregated by money more so than race. Is that to say that minorities cannot afford to live in those areas? I am not trying to put words in your mouth if I misunderstood you. I am just trying to get an idea if those smaller communities are "off limits" for me and my family.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM

37 posts, read 81,662 times
Like linicx pointed out, the city is segregated by housing cost. Property taxes are more like ransom in Washington, Morton, Dunlap, Metamora and Germantown Hills area. So it all depends on how much of your earnings you want to give it away to the county. Otherwise there is no segregation by race.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 11,378 times
DuSable was in fact the first permanent non-native settler of Chicago. However, he did not come up from Peoria. DuSable actually traveled to Chicago from Michigan. There are records from that time period that document him in Michigan. DuSable is listed on land claim documents in Peoria at the same time but are believed to be fraudulent and without his knowledge.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM

This is not necessarily true as Woodford and Fulton County taxes are not as high as Peoria, Mason, or Tazewell. Overall, Peoria taxes are generally far less that those in Chicago for comparable housing stock. Let's talk taxes.

The basic Illinois Real Estate Tax stays in the county where you live. The money supports city and county services such as schools, fire, police, hospital, EMT, roads, bridges, snow removal, etc.. The tax is not necessarily the same in each county. It is set by the state taxing authority.

The City of Peoria I believe has over 13,000 students. The Peoria Park District maintains 60 parks or more. if you face, or live next to, a city park in Peoria you will pay an extra tax. PPD is the oldest and largest park district in Illinois.

Chicago and some of the other towns sell park tags. No tag? You can't enter. The added tax for some in Peoria help keep the parks open at no cost for residents and visitors alike.

Illinois Personal Income Tax is a flat 5%. Social Security and Pension are not taxed. There is no added personal property tax on items such as trailers, boats, etc.. The cost for new license plates is $125. Bring identification and a utility bill from your new address. You will also need a new driver's license. Do pay particular attention to Scott''s Law and cell phone laws. Violations of these laws are expensive.

Illinois does not have a concealed carry law. If you bring weapons be sure to break them down and transport them cased. No weapon or ammunition should be within reach of driver or passenger.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:07 AM

n/m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois