U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM

10 posts, read 20,663 times

Advertisements

So I have lived with my parents all my life even throughout college. I stayed to save on room and board plus Illinois is much more expensive to live compared to where we came from for a part-time worker.

I have worked hard even taking summer courses so that I could graduate early and I will be completely done with school at the age of 21 in just one more semester.

My plan was always to get a job, my own place and to become more independent. Now that the time is getting closer I am getting a little nervous.

I kind of wish I had a boyfriend to move in with but at the same time what if we break up would I feel the need to go back home or if we get married then I would never get the experience of living alone.

The things I worry about include: killing bugs by myself, having to take out the trash every week, creepy neighbors, having no one to take care of me if I catch a cold, being alone at night during scary thunderstorms, appearing as a easy target since I appear younger than I am, hearing the creeks of the place.

Most of these things I can probably get use to right?

Well the things I look forward to is becoming independent, being able to be who I want to be, becoming a woman, learning that I am able to take care of myself etc.

One day I would love to get enough nerve to move to the southeast or Texas but for now I would start slow by moving close to my parents. Would getting a dog and/or a gun help? What has you experience been like? (p.s. roommates are not an option for me, I love my friends but I couldn't live with them).
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM

369 posts, read 653,308 times
I've lived alone for over 3 years now. None of the things you mentioned are actually the hardest parts, at least for me. The biggest adjustment for me after moving out was being responsible to pay all my bills on time (I had no idea how expensive everything is until I moved out), and having to deal with clogged toilets and other such things that my landlord won't send the maintenance guy over to fix. I was used to my dad handling all that stuff. Killing bugs I got used to quickly. Get yourself a can of Raid so you can kill them without touching them. A fly-swatter is useful too. I haven't had any creepy neighbors, just rude ones. As long as you're living in a decent area you shouldn't have to worry about your safety, but put the police non-emergency number in your phone so you have it ready to report anything suspicious. Having no one to take care of you when you're sick does suck, but it's temporary. A pet is probably a good idea. I had a hamster, now I have two cats. Before moving out I thought I'd get a dog, but I realized it felt unfair to keep a dog in an apartment with no yard to run around in. People do it, but I would feel too guilty. Also, random people are going to come to your door, usually trying to sell you something. If they say they're from a utility company ask to see their ID, never let a stranger inside, and when you open the door open it just enough to stand blocking their view inside (you don't want them to see that you have anything valuable, just in case they are looking for a place to rob). Always keep your doors locked, even when you're home (and windows too if you're on the first floor).

Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Do you like living alone overall. Would you recommend it or should I stay put for a while at my parents. If you don't mind me asking what age did you move out? I don't know, maybe if I wait longer I will be more ready.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 PM

14 posts, read 31,711 times
Wow...

Well, I moved out at 19 to NYC, back in at 20, then back out about 6 months later and have currently had a good 1,700 sq ft house to myself with nearly a half acre of land! All the while going to college and holding an internship (still 21, though almost 22). I think you're grossly over thinking things. Research the areas you're thinking of moving to and decide from there. You could stay with your parents for now and save money, which is always nice and fiscally a better choice.

I think the worst thing living on your own is the bills, but I live in an extremely safe area of the Chicago suburbs, so it makes sense from my perspective what concerns me most.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,670,234 times
I lived at home during undergrad. I did this mainly to save money and because I am really close to my mom and didn't want to move away.

I moved to Urbana-Champaign for my first year of graduate school and lived by myself. I absolutely loved living by myself! Sure taking the trash out wasn't my favorite part, but before I left home I was taking out the trash. I killed a few bugs and lived to tell the tale.

The least favorite part of living by myself: not having someone to split the rent/electric/internet/etc. with and having to kill the bugs.
The upside: I don't have to answer to anyone about where I'm going/no need to worry about "Should I tell so and so I won't be home until late tonight?", being able to do whatever you want in the privacy of your home (provided it's legal and everything), and the sense of pride that comes with living by yourself. SOME people are impressed by a young 20 year old living on her own; for others its no big deal.

I wouldn't mind having a dog because I left dogs at home with my family, but living here in Chicago, I'm A-okay with not having a dog. Unless you have a yard or a balcony (and are okay with letting your dog do its business on your balcony), you have to go out every time your dog needs to use the restroom. At the moment, the cons outweigh the pros. You also have to be conscious of the breed of the dog. If you plan on renting for a while, some landlords/leasing companies/whatever only allow certain breeds. Generally small dogs are not a problem BUT if you want a dog for protection, a small dog just won't cut it.

I don't own a gun but I do own a stun gun and keep it under my pillow.

If you really feel a strong desire to get away, line up a job, and then move away. I don't regret moving for a single minute! Of course I miss my family, but I know I'm happier in my current city.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,455,845 times
Start by living in a small community near your parents. After a year you will know whether or not you want to move 1000 miles away --18-21 hours by car depending on how you drive. .

Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM

369 posts, read 653,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIgiirl View Post
Do you like living alone overall. Would you recommend it or should I stay put for a while at my parents. If you don't mind me asking what age did you move out? I don't know, maybe if I wait longer I will be more ready.
Yes, I love it. Money is the only reason I wish I had a roommate. But I love not having to share my space and deal with someone else's drama or visitors. I moved out at 23 to go to grad school downstate. I don't know you so I can't tell you if you're ready or not. Some people know when they're ready, others will never feel ready even when they are and need a push.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino369 View Post
Wow...

Well, I moved out at 19 to NYC, back in at 20, then back out about 6 months later and have currently had a good 1,700 sq ft house to myself with nearly a half acre of land! All the while going to college and holding an internship (still 21, though almost 22). I think you're grossly over thinking things. Research the areas you're thinking of moving to and decide from there. You could stay with your parents for now and save money, which is always nice and fiscally a better choice.

I think the worst thing living on your own is the bills, but I live in an extremely safe area of the Chicago suburbs, so it makes sense from my perspective what concerns me most.

I think you are right! I am just over thinking everything an I will be just fine.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM

867 posts, read 1,929,541 times
I absolutely love being alone being my own boss, doing things when I want how I want to I think your over worrying but the only way to know is to give it a try, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois