Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 PM

164 posts, read 375,150 times

Advertisements

City of St. Louis is 320,000, metro is 2.9 million. Trust me-I live there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 08:36 PM

Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 PM

15 posts, read 41,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Central Illinois stretches from the Mississippi River to the Indiana border. The last time I looked Quincy was still in the central zone just as Champaign is.
With all due respect, I wish you would stop making things up. Central Illinois doesn't extend from Quincy to Danville any more than it does from Cairo to Rockford. I lived in Quincy for years and no one ever referred to it as Central Illinois... always Western Illinois or the Tri-State Area.

Central Illinois consists of Springfield, Decatur, Champbana, Bloomington-Normal, Peoria... and depending on who you ask, Jacksonville. Danville is usually classified as Eastern Illinois, as is CU part of the time. I don't know whether Danvillians ever call themselves Central Illinoisans, but Quincians absolutely do not.

Western Illinois is a distinct region with its own personality, quite different from the above cities. The Quad Cities are the largest urban area, followed by Quincy at about 40,000. Macomb, Galesburg, Carlinville, sometimes Jacksonville, and occasionally Alton are included, but the area is overwhemingly rural. Few four lane highways exist, and Western Illinois is sometimes jokingly referred to as Forgottonia.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM

Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 PM

So sorry about the multiple posts, not sure what happened there. Quincy is West-Central Illinois. Usually Danville and Champaign (lived there for about 20 years) are East Central IL. I should add there has been interstate access to Quincy for some 20+ years, and there are expressway standard roads to Macomb as well. The "forgottonia" moniker is outdated and inaccurate.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
There are different designations within Illinois. Central Illinois by location, separate from Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois, does extend from the Mississippi River to the Indiana border. The fact an area is defined as Eastern Central does not mean it is not in Central Illinois. Quincy, by location, is in the Central Illinois.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 PM

15 posts, read 41,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There are different designations within Illinois. Central Illinois by location, separate from Northern Illinois and Southern Illinois, does extend from the Mississippi River to the Indiana border. The fact an area is defined as Eastern Central does not mean it is not in Central Illinois. Quincy, by location, is in the Central Illinois.
You're using the same argument Chicagoans make to identify 80% of the state as "Southern Illinois." Regions are defined by their residents, not by outsiders. A TV station in Champaign can call itself "Central Illinois' news soruce." If a Quincy or Moline-Rock Island station said that, viewers would wonder WTF. They don't relate to the Spfd/Peoria/CU area. It isn't home, any more than Peorians relate to Carbondale or St. Louisans to Sedalia.

When I lived near Peoria, I hated when a friend from Chicago introduced me as being from Southern Illinois. That's how Western Illinoisans feel when you lump us together with Central Illinois. They are distinct regions. People speak and act somewhat differently.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:48 PM

Skimster is correct. I lived in Quincy in the 80s and Champaign-Urbana for almost 20 years after that. 3 hours apart, and different culturally, socioecomically, and geographically. Drawing an arbitrary swath through the middle of the state doesn't work. The whole southern Illinois being anything south of I-80 nonsense is still out there, and it's as nonsensical today as it was 30 years ago.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:15 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
In the 1960s everything south of State and Madison was Southern Illinois. It's a my dogs bigger than yours mentality, and it doesn't speak well of Chicago residents.

Look on a map. If there is a Northen Illinois and a Southern Illinois, what is in the middle chopped chicken liver maybe?

Will and Kankakee counties identify with Chicago, Stark, Marshall, Woodford, Tazewell, Fulton, Peoria, Mason, Champaign, Mclean, Logan, Sangamon, Cass, Knox counties all identify with some part/region/location in Central Illinois.
I do live in Central Illinois about 40 miles or so southwest of Peoria. My cousin lives on US 24 in Quincy. It is about 90m due east to my door.

She says she lives in the western most part of Central Illinois near the Mississippi River. "We call it Western Illinois but it really isn't. It's a destination to most travelers. No, QC is not in our area."

You can also tell a bit about an area by the phone prefix. 309 and 217 are in Central Ilinois. 815 is north and 618 is south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois