Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM
tlw

96 posts, read 428,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimster View Post
Much of the above post is about Peoria, not Quincy.

I was raised in Quincy throughout the 80s-90s. I watched the major factories close and cheapskate employers replace them. Quincy has a significant brain drain. Most of my generation's college graduates have left due to the lack of decent work, and the people moving in are uneducated hill folk from surrounding rural areas. As a result, the city has become far more religious and conservative than it was 30 years ago. The Tea Party has a significant presence everywhere: yard signs, uncritical newspaper articles, etc.

Disinvestment has become obvious over time. Much of the fine older housing stock has deteriorated, replaced by particle board boxes built to last several decades. There also seem to be an above average number of smokers and heavy drinkers.

It's still home, but I tend to stay away.

Yeah, but the Quincy Tea Party did recently have Ex-GOP Rep. Joe Walsh speak in Quincy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

No word as to whether he screamed "SHUT UP" to anyone in the audience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 10:11 PM

15 posts, read 41,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Quincy is still in central Illinois. The last two paragraphs pertain to Peoria.
Quincians consider themselves Western Illinoisans, not Central, which refers more to Decatur, Bloomington, Champaign, etc.

Peoria and Quincy are rust belt cities with stagnant populations, both on rivers. They don't have much else in common overall. Peorians are closer to Chicago, BN, places with culture and shopping. Quincy is the largest town in 90 miles. Hiking and truck mudding are more prominent hobbies. Bluffs aside, Peoria is surrounded by level farmland. Quincy is more rolling backwoods with less agriculture. Most farms aren't as productive as Central Illinois prairie. It's in the St. Louis orbit, and the STL area (2-3 hours away) is a conservative, quasi-southern metro with an anti-city attitude.

As to health care, QMG has expanded a great deal in recent years, demolishing entire neighborhoods in the process. I know nothing about the quality.

Quincy isn't quite comparable to Macomb, a college town, or Farmington, a Peoria exurb. It's more like Jonesboro, AR or Paducah, KY. The closest Illinois equivalent might be Marion.

This is all my biased opinion, so if any current residents want to chime in, please feel free.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,559,019 times
Quote:
Much of the above post is about Peoria, not Quincy.

I was raised in Quincy throughout the 80s-90s. I watched the major factories close and cheapskate employers replace them. Quincy has a significant brain drain. Most of my generation's college graduates have left due to the lack of decent work, and the people moving in are uneducated hill folk from surrounding rural areas. As a result, the city has become far more religious and conservative than it was 30 years ago. The Tea Party has a significant presence everywhere: yard signs, uncritical newspaper articles, etc.

Disinvestment has become obvious over time. Much of the fine older housing stock has deteriorated, replaced by particle board boxes built to last several decades. There also seem to be an above average number of smokers and heavy drinkers.

It's still home, but I tend to stay away.
Sadly, you just described most of the US.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:36 PM

164 posts, read 375,299 times
Quote:
Quincians consider themselves Western Illinoisans, not Central, which refers more to Decatur, Bloomington, Champaign, etc.

Peoria and Quincy are rust belt cities with stagnant populations, both on rivers. They don't have much else in common overall. Peorians are closer to Chicago, BN, places with culture and shopping. Quincy is the largest town in 90 miles. Hiking and truck mudding are more prominent hobbies. Bluffs aside, Peoria is surrounded by level farmland. Quincy is more rolling backwoods with less agriculture. Most farms aren't as productive as Central Illinois prairie. It's in the St. Louis orbit, and the STL area (2-3 hours away) is a conservative, quasi-southern metro with an anti-city attitude.

As to health care, QMG has expanded a great deal in recent years, demolishing entire neighborhoods in the process. I know nothing about the quality.

Quincy isn't quite comparable to Macomb, a college town, or Farmington, a Peoria exurb. It's more like Jonesboro, AR or Paducah, KY. The closest Illinois equivalent might be Marion.

This is all my biased opinion, so if any current residents want to chime in, please feel free.
Former resident: It's really Blessing that's destroyed neighborhoods. Farmington is very small, no comparison, and if Western wasn't in Macomb, the town would be nothing - and it's minor even now.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM

15 posts, read 41,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianist1972 View Post
Former resident: It's really Blessing that's destroyed neighborhoods. Farmington is very small, no comparison, and if Western wasn't in Macomb, the town would be nothing - and it's minor even now.
For some reason I thought Blessing had QMG had merged, as Blessing/St. Mary's and the Quincy/QP&S Clinics had. If they're still separate entities, I stand corrected.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Nope, they are separate. Probably 3,000 employees at least between them. Health care is a big industry there. If Blessing would just get a Level 1 trauma center....

Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,445,189 times
standard town with good amount of old people and families. pretty conservative, pretty religious, but illinois as a whole is accepting anyone of any religion or (non religious) . compared to austin you will probably be in for a shock though.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:43 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times
Peoria is about midway between Chicago and St, Louis. It's just about the same time to drive from either one. The difference is St. Louis might be 1/10 the size of Chicagoland. It is easier and faster to shop in St. Louis than it is in Chicago. But, if you want to experience the mega city then Chicago is the place to go and stay for a weekend. Most of us don't bother going to either unless there is a Cards-Cub game, and sometimes a Bears or Bulls game.

Central Illinois stretches from the Mississippi River to the Indiana border. The last time I looked Quincy was still in the central zone just as Champaign is.

Quote:

Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 AM

The metro area of StL is just under 3 million. The metro area of Chicagoland (depending on how you figure it) is around 9-9.5 million. Only about 3 times bigger. Of course, Chicago itself is far larger than StL. No place in IL is anything but Central time!

Old 09-14-2013, 04:04 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,109,392 times
The city of St. Louis is less than a million population. Chicago is approaching 3 million. It's sprawls more than St. Louis, and it is in Cook County the second largest county in America. Cook County is 1000 square miles or larger. For what I do shopping in St. Louis is easier and less expensive. Neither Missouri or St. Louis has the 24/7 traffic Chicago and Illinois does on any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois