Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM

37 posts, read 115,988 times

Advertisements

Hello, We are looking for a place to rent in Glenview, Deerfield, or possibly Northbrook...or somewhere near there. We need a good school system...for a child in early grade school. We're hoping to find a small house to rent but are willing to take a condo or townhouse...something ideally in the $1400-$1500 range or lower. I realize we probably have to go higher for a house. Is $1600-$1700/month realistic for a house?

I have seen in some forums to watch the local newspapers. We are from WI so have been watchinghttp://searchchicago.suntimes.com/homes/ and urbanrealestate.com in addition to realtor.com, trulia, zillow, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What newspapers should we pick up when we're there? And finally, are there particular days of the week that are best to get the papers? (up here, Sundays are the big day for real estate to be listed, and Thursdays also in some cities).

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
The link to the SunTimes is generally pretty good, as it includes the "lmitied distribution" local papers that come out once a week or so. I think your budget is WAY TOO LOW for the town you are interested in -- there are folks renting 3+ bedroom townhouses and single family homes paying double that in the areas you are considering.

I saw a townhouse in an older part of Northbrook where the HOA alone is $300+ a month, taxes are another $300-400 /month, a mortage could easily be well over $1500 a month on $225K+ 3br 2 ba unit, you have to allow for realistic prices...

Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
You should post in the proper forum: Chicago Suburbs. This forum is for all areas outside of Chicago and Cook County.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM

linicx - Thanks. I just found "Illinois" and posted this. I will repost in the Chicago Suburbs. I appreciate this.

chet everett (and anyone else) - I'll move my posting to Chicago Suburbs. Do you have ideas of places you would recommend that have good schools for a young child and good safe areas? My job will be in the far north area of Skokie.

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2013, 03:32 PM

You're welcome!

Most of us in the Illinois Forum are not familiar with Cook County schools or Chicago as a whole. Skokie I know a bit about. It is predominately a Jewish community and a nice one. Do not live near any large apartment complex any where. Park Ridge is next door to Skokie. Hillary Clinton lived there as a child. The same applies. You cannot go wrong living either community. Politically Chicago is blue

Use a search engine and look at the city websites. Use the 2012 US Census Quick Facts to find other useful information. You do have a train station is Skokie so you don't want to live by it either due to noise and traffic. The transit system is very good, by the way. I did talk to the secretary at one of the Skokie elementary schools one day this summer. She said the students were doing well.

IL schools started last week. The kids shots must be up to date, with current eye and physicals. You will need records from their old schools and all of your medical records. You will find you are moving into a very good medical care area with good children's hospital, etc..

Old 08-27-2013, 06:13 PM

Ok, thank you very much! I really appreciate this.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:32 PM

You are welcome. It's what we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois