Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times

Advertisements

I would agree that there are some nice scenic areas in Illinois once you get away from the dense metro area or cornfields. I wouldn't rank it up there as most scenic or anything but it is there. I frequently ride out in the countryside and enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 06:55 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,197,453 times
#4. I wanted to be gone years ago. Illinois flat out sucks.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM

610 posts, read 694,998 times
I have been stopped by police something like 30+ times in my life. I have been searched like 6 or 7. And my record is cleaner than your grandma's house. But that doesn't stop the police in IL from having a generally antagonistic relationship with the people they "protect and serve." I've had cops (ON DUTY) start actual fist fights with friends of mine. I've been accused of fabricated "offenses" and actually had to pay a $150 fine for one of them. Every time I've ever said no to a "consensual" search of my car, I've got a seatbelt ticket. And, in every case, I was wearing my seat belt. Figure that one out for me. In one town I lived in, which had a college and was right off the interstate, there were FIVE... yes... FIVE police departments operating independent of each other, primarily policing ONLY that town. There was the city cops, the county cops, the campus cops, the state cops (who patrolled the area CONSTANTLY because it was RIGHT off the highway and was a mecca for easy DUI busts with the college kids), and the "Metro" cops, whatever the hell those were. F*** Illinois, and the police that work there. THAT is why I left IL. And, the funny thing is, in the year since leaving, I haven't been pulled over once. Prior to that, it was, at minimum, 4 times a year following my 16th birthday.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 PM

895 posts, read 1,231,169 times
I agree. I have been pulled over and searched. I've had canine units search and rip through my car. I have never ever been caught with anything illegal or have I ever been arrested for anything. One time I was pulled because he could smell cigar smoke? Wtf cigars are illegal? I have gotten a ticket not a warning for a burnt out license plate bulb. I've had cops make uies on Lagrange rd during the afternoon with tons of cars on the road for me playing a blown sub too loud...its seriously a mess.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times
hmm I haven't had that problem I got pulled over once on I-88 after a truck changed lanes in front of me and before I had a chance to increase my space I got a warning for tailgating and I got a bloody ticket for not having proof of insurance [2 days after the old card expired and the new one was bloody late].

Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,190,359 times
My life here is good. Job, family friends and can find my around without GPS. Cycling in Lake, McHenry and NW Cook puts me in beautiful, wooded, hilly, scenic areas. Sure winter annoys me more each year, sure the political climate is infuriating, BUT life is still good. Maybe if my job was transferable, I would look elsewhere, but I'm pretty content being here until retirement. Then maybe, I'll snowbird.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

202 posts, read 309,454 times
[#7) most people are "material" (home..car) broke. Have to work 24.7 just to live in a semi decent area.]

To be honest, that applies everywhere. People often buy beyond their means.

Like Ngrome posted upthread, I've lived elsewhere, as well. Many years in NC which is beautiful and then Malibu and hey, what can you say bad about Malibu except for the high (!) COL. Beautiful doesn't begin to describe it.

But - Illinois is my home. I hate seeing what's been done to her via crooked politicians for sure. There are things I don't like, but there are things EVERYWHERE that people will/won't like.

I also agree with Ngrome when he said that some people, not everyone, but some who complain the loudest about IL are those who have never lived anywhere else.

I never appreciated the sky here until I got back from my part of NC, where the trees were so thick it obscured the stars at night. One clear night (here in IL) we had a bonfire, you could see every star in the sky and it just hit me - I never really appreciated that before.

Maybe it's little things, but I am content to be home. I realize that won't apply to everyone and that's fine. But we change things with votes, at least we used to. Stay, and maybe change the things you (general you) don't like.

At the end of the day people need to go find out for themselves - stay away or come back with a new vision - as long as YOU are happy that's all that matters.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM

2,690 posts, read 3,154,472 times
I'm happy living in Chicago, but I was unhappy living in the Metro East. The state of Illinois itself has little to do with my satisfaction or dissatisfaction. Both are Illinois, and yet they are both two entirely different experiences.

Although I did consider moving into the city of St. Louis at one point, but the thought of being a resident of Missouri didn't rub me the right me.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Metro East is as different from Chicago as Springfield is from Peoria. I go to Trader Joe's in St. Louis because there is far less traffic and it is closer than Chicago. There is less tax and I can fill up the gas tank cheaper, too.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 PM

562 posts, read 982,961 times
There are things I like; the people, the climate of the region (which exists elsewhere in the midwest obviously), the connections and my job. I like that I can go from flat lands just a county over to the hills and bluffs of Peoria. I like the overall culture.

The crime, corruption and pollution are pretty major downsides. Plus it seems to be a very business unfriendly place, I can't imagine starting a high-tech firm in the Peoria area, for example. I wouldn't do it in Chicago, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois