Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I've yet to get bitten by a mosquito in two years of living in Oak Park.
I live in Warrenville, surrounded by Herrick Lake (which includes a large marsh), and Warrenville Grove Forest Preserves, not to mention Blackwell Forest Preserve only 2 miles up the road, with lots of creeks and rivers, and last year I got maybe 5-6 bites all summer, and Im out all the time. Mosquitos by my grandmas house in West Chicago are REAL bad. It all depends on where you live, people dont understand that. In fact, of the 6 places Ive lived in IL, Ive only had ONE place that had a "problem", that was in St. Charles, and that wasnt even that bad at all.

Anyways, back on track here... looks like we're getting hit with another ice storm late tonight and into tomorrow morning. This is insane!!!!!!!
Chicago Tribune | Weather

Old 12-10-2007, 01:37 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,288,604 times
I will take snow over these ice storms any day. Ice-y roads are the most treacherous things. There has not been enough snow in IL recently. Glad to have some. My kids can get out and go sledding and get OUT of the house during the winter.

Hopefully we won't have much more of this ice stuff. Just nasty.

Kane county in their infinite wisdom, does not spray for mosquitoes in the unincorporated areas anymore. They used to, made a BIG difference. But it was not in their budget was the rationale.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,288,604 times
Oh yeah, and Kane county also has lots of problems with West nile virus.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 63,893 times
Default On a scale of 1 to 10, climate here is about a 5

Throw out all the stats you want, the climate here is at best a 5, with San Diego being a 10, and say Antarctica being a 1. The last week of April this year we were on a cycling training ride, and it was 8 degrees including wind chill. Memorial Day weekend 2004, my wife and I were painting the interior of our new addition, but didn't mind because it was 45 degrees and rainy for 4 days straight! Sorry, the climate/weather is not something that's a positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Not even close:

Persistent Cloud Cover Results in Near Record Gloomy Conditions

An extended period of low clouds, fog, and drizzleandflurries made headlines this week across the northern portions of theMidwest (Figure 13). Inthe greater Minneapolis, MN area, the period of December 24, 2005 toJanuary 4, 2006 was the 3rd gloomiest twelve day stretch since solarradiation records began at the University of Minnesota campus in 1963. At the National Weather Service Office in Chanhassen, MN,zerominutes of sunshine were recorded for a period of eight consecutivedays from December 24, 2005 to December 31, 2005, and again fromJanuary 2, 2006 to January 5, 2006. The cloud cover wasexpansiveacross the Midwest, and from December 24, 2005 to January 5, 2006,Chicago's Midway Airport reported only 435 minutes of sunshine out of apossible 7,174 minutes, roughly just seven hours of sunlight in twoweeks time. Further north, in Duluth, MN, save for a fewhours ofsunshine on December 25, 2005, northern Minnesota and northernWisconsinhave been cloudy since December 23, 2005, and as of January 6, 2006,cloudy conditions have persisted across this area for a stretch oftwelve consecutive days, which is the longest cloudy streak since cloudcover records began at the Duluth National Weather Service Office in1990. On January 6, 2006, in southeastern Wisconsin,Milwaukee tied for the most consecutive number of days without sunshineat fourteen, and Madison, WI also had fourteen consecutive days withoutsunshine, tying the record set in April 1992. Fortunately,sunshine broke through the thick cloud deck on January 7-8, ending thegloomy streak.

Midwest Climate Watch Weekly Highlights

By all means, 12-14 cloudy days in a row does suck, but thats still only 50% of the month, as we average. We dont usually get that many in a row. Why am I the only one who notices this?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM

572 posts, read 2,478,888 times
I do not miss the winters back there at ALL!!! sure the snow it neat to see but after a day of it im all done because then comes the cold!!! I will pass and stick to the desert. Below you will see two photos, one is right after a nice snow and the other is a nice winter sunset. Both have the beauty of mother nature but two different climates.
Attached Thumbnails
What is up with this weather???-sunset.jpg   What is up with this weather???-snow-drifts.jpg  

Old 12-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILFlatlander View Post
Throw out all the stats you want, the climate here is at best a 5, with San Diego being a 10, and say Antarctica being a 1. The last week of April this year we were on a cycling training ride, and it was 8 degrees including wind chill
Yes, the climate here is a 5 on average, but in summer Id say its a 7.5-8. And besides a 5 is what Id rate most of this country as on average, minus SoCal with would get a 8-9 in my book. No place is perfect as Ive said earlier.

And youre also completely wrong about April's weather. The last week of April, the lowest temp I found was 51 degrees, the rest of the week was in the 60s and 70s, with one day in the 80s. 8 degrees???? Who are you trying to kid?

Old 12-10-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
I do not miss the winters back there at ALL!!! sure the snow it neat to see but after a day of it im all done because then comes the cold!!! I will pass and stick to the desert. Below you will see two photos, one is right after a nice snow and the other is a nice winter sunset. Both have the beauty of mother nature but two different climates.
Enjoy your mild winters. Talk to be again when May-October are over. Talk about the most God-awful weather! Nothing like month after month of intense heat. Im down in AZ a few times each year, and have covered all seasons. This year Ive only been there in June, something Ill never, ever do again. I usually go in early fall when the temps are somewhat liveable, although still pretty dang hot. I think the coolest it was when I was down there was 108, with a few 112 days and a 116 day. Ugh. Horrible. Utterly, unforgettably horrible.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:07 PM

11 posts, read 63,893 times
Default Ok, Skilling

Ok, maybe I'm off by a week or so. So Tom Skilling, pull up either Sat. Apr 14, Sat. Apr 21, and Sat Apr 28 for St. Charles at 8:00 a.m., temp & wind chill. But hey, you win, the weather's great here! You started this thread, geez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes, the climate here is a 5 on average, but in summer Id say its a 7.5-8. And besides a 5 is what Id rate most of this country as on average, minus SoCal with would get a 8-9 in my book. No place is perfect as Ive said earlier.

And youre also completely wrong about April's weather. The last week of April, the lowest temp I found was 51 degrees, the rest of the week was in the 60s and 70s, with one day in the 80s. 8 degrees???? Who are you trying to kid?

Old 12-10-2007, 03:12 PM

296 posts, read 1,178,698 times
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:16 PM

296 posts, read 1,178,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Kane county in their infinite wisdom, does not spray for mosquitoes in the unincorporated areas anymore. They used to, made a BIG difference. But it was not in their budget was the rationale.
Ah, yes, there's nothing quite like seeing the kids chasing the malathion sprayer down the suburban streets like the ice cream truck and dancing in the fog.

Those were the days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois