Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times

Advertisements

Hi! My name's Maria. I'm from Russia. I'm a participant of an exchange program Work and Travel. I like the USA very much and my dream is going there. I'd like to learn more about the culture, make new friends, see a lot of beautiful sights... Can anybody help me with looking for a job? I'm surfing the Internet all day long, but I can't find unfortunately. Do you know any employers in Chicago? (or in the other cities). My e-mail is [email]mperepecho@mail.ru[/email]
I will be very grateful to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:45 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,181,731 times
We see these same requests every summer. The answer is he same. You need the student VISA that allows you to work, enough funds to support yourself for 90 days, a US sponsor, complete medical records, insurance, and a place to live.

Politically speaking, you probably won't get a VISA now as RU and US are not on friendly terms.

Employment possibilities are poor. Qualified unemployed Americans must be hired first. Unemployed Americans must be hired next. It is true of every job in America. If I were you, I would stay in Russia until the cold war thaws between our two countries.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:17 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,239,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperepecho View Post
Hi! My name's Maria. I'm from Russia. I'm a participant of an exchange program Work and Travel. I like the USA very much and my dream is going there. I'd like to learn more about the culture, make new friends, see a lot of beautiful sights... Can anybody help me with looking for a job? I'm surfing the Internet all day long, but I can't find unfortunately. Do you know any employers in Chicago? (or in the other cities). My e-mail is mperepecho@mail.ru
I will be very grateful to you.
Здравствуйте!

Chicago actually has the highest unemployment rate in the entire United States, so I'm not sure that you will find a job here. Can you tell me about the work and travel program? What kind of job are you looking for?

Here are few sites that you can try, but the employers will not want to talk to you until you can work legally in the United States. Have you looked into a student visa?

Bright
theLadders
Dice
Salary
USAJobs
ZipRecruiter
Snagajob
Beyond
JobDiagnosis
Simplyhired
GlassDoor
CareerBuilder
Monster
Indeed

Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,181,731 times
She might find many jobs, but she still MUST meet the basic requirements of funds, sponsor and proper VISA. And she still must understand Americans get first dibs. It is the law.

If no American is qualified, then she may or may not get the job if another is more qualified. She will compete with students from around the globe who may be better educated and speak better English.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:22 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,016,019 times
The Wisconsin Dells is a seasonal vacation area about 300km northwest of Chicago. Last time I was up there I noticed that a lot of the workers were young Eastern European people, presumably there on the type of summer exchange work program you are describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois