Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2007, 02:56 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
I may not be a geologist, but sand is sand in my book.
I think you're vastly understating the ecosystem a desert maintains. And regardless of the sprawl in Chicago (no i do not like it), why do you feel its a good idea to have millions of people living in a desert with next to no available long term water source?

Last edited by via chicago; 12-20-2007 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 05:37 PM

128 posts, read 172,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I think you're vastly understating the ecosystem a desert maintains. And regardless of the sprawl in Chicago (no i do not like it), why do you feel its a good idea to have millions of people living in a desert with next to no available long term water source?
Why do people invest in any large metro area? Seattle, Portland, every major city in California, Houston, Miami, Chicago, New York, Philidelphia, Washington D.C., and Boston, all have factors associated with mother nature that could destroy them. Even though Phoenix has a water problem, I would rather have the possibilty of a drought, rather than an earthquake, hurricane, tornade, flood, etc. At least you can plan for a drought decades before it happens, just like Phoenix is doing. It isn't like people are going without at this point in time. Virtually every big city in the world has at least a good chance of having massive devastation due to weather, since many cities are close to water. Not to mention the fact that we live in the 21st century, and like it or not, the threat of an attack is a very real issue. People are no more "vastly understating" issues of desert life, than others that don't see eating up farmland that cannot be replaced as a pressing concern. I think more people in the world care about eating rather than making sure the people in Phoenix have water. It will be the ignorance of places like metro Chicago that will cause far more problems, then the growth associated with Phoenix.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Well if it came down to sand or world class soil, which one would you feel less guilty puting your house on?
Believe it or not, sand is hard to come by in AZ.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Believe it or not, sand is hard to come by in AZ.
But you can't eat sand.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
But you can't eat sand.
My brother did. We were at the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan and my bro was running full force down the dune and face planted. LOL What made it worse was that he had braces at the time. A month later back in IL we were eating dinner and he was still crunchin on sand from time to time. LOLOL Ill never forget that. LOL

Old 12-20-2007, 10:04 PM

Quote:
My brother did. We were at the Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan and my bro was running full force down the dune and face planted. LOL What made it worse was that he had braces at the time. A month later back in IL we were eating dinner and he was still crunchin on sand from time to time. LOLOL Ill never forget that. LOL
OK, well you shouldn't eat sand.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
OK, well you shouldn't eat sand.
Sooner or later in Phoenix, you WILL eat sand.

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/...y=#slideanchor

Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM

269 posts, read 1,100,003 times
Quote:
Sooner or later in Phoenix, you WILL eat sand.

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/...y=#slideanchor
Well as bad as a dust storm may be, I don't think it quite compares to the collective powers of the weather in Illinois. Tornados, blizzards, ice storms, hail, and flooding just seem to be much worse than a cloud of dust. You can clean up after that in a few days. When a tornado or comes along a takes out a whole town, that is a little bit harder to deal with. Say nothing of the weather that all of the state is going through right now!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:57 AM

572 posts, read 2,485,771 times
Compare Arizona to Illinois
Arizona--- http://www.alec.org/fileadmin/newPDF/Arizona.pdf (broken link)
Illinois---- http://www.alec.org/fileadmin/newPDF/Illinois.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-21-2007, 02:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
But in the end, the chances of a tornado ACTUALLY tearing down your house or community is SOOOOOOOOOOOO small. I mean they happen ever year, but we're talking about hundreds of thousands of square mile in the midwest where they take place. I grew up in Iowa and we had a few dozen tornadoes every year, but no one ACTUALLY thought one would hit my community (it never has). You just go downstairs and then an hour later you come back up.

I know for Illinois, on average .00003% of people in the state are killed by tornadoes each year. That's a 1 in 3,250,000 chance.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 12-21-2007 at 02:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois