U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Western Chicagoland
18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Well as bad as a dust storm may be, I don't think it quite compares to the collective powers of the weather in Illinois. Tornados, blizzards, ice storms, hail, and flooding just seem to be much worse than a cloud of dust. You can clean up after that in a few days. When a tornado or comes along a takes out a whole town, that is a little bit harder to deal with. Say nothing of the weather that all of the state is going through right now!
Blah, blah, blah. Tornados occur in AZ too, although in far less numbers. Ice storms happen in AZ too, as well as monster snowstorms. Heck, AZ lays claim to the city in the lower 48 with the most days below freezing (Flagstaff). Lets also forget the flooding that occurs from monsoons, the high wind storms that damage houses every year (and even badly damaged U of P Stadium when it was being constructed), monsoons, crazy lightning storms, etc, etc. Throw in some dust storms, lack of water, months on end with searing high temps, etc, and voila! Your weather sucks bad too. Ive been here 30 years and have never even seen a tornado. And quit pretending that your winter weather is soooo glorious. Highs in the 50s? lows in the 30s and 20s? Rainy? Give me a REAL warm winter anyday over that garbage (ie Miami, etc). Actually, our lows tonight are warmer than yours.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...weekday=Friday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2007, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Red Rock, Arizona
683 posts, read 1,706,336 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Why are so many Illinoisans attracted to AZ?!
GOLF! I moved to Arizona from Illinois in 1985 because I wanted to work on golf courses and play golf 365 days a year (366 days every leap year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Red Rock, Arizona
683 posts, read 1,706,336 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Building upon bought cornfields, while still bad, doesnt compare to tearing down super old saguaros, etc.
A lot of the homes being built now are going up on old cotton fields. A housing development will use less water than land used for agricultural reasons. Old saguaros aren't being bladed down like they were in the old days. I think that's illegal now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 12:14 AM
 
Location: Red Rock, Arizona
683 posts, read 1,706,336 times
Reputation: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I like the laws that requiring xeriscaping (desert landscaping), no lawns. Things like that are good.
Very common misconception about xeriscaping, lawns can actually be part of a xeriscape when there is a purpose for the grass and it's done properly.

Xeriscape, not zeroscape.

http://xeriscape.org/turfarticle.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2007, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, Arizona
128 posts, read 1,084 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Blah, blah, blah. Tornados occur in AZ too, although in far less numbers. Ice storms happen in AZ too, as well as monster snowstorms. Heck, AZ lays claim to the city in the lower 48 with the most days below freezing (Flagstaff). Lets also forget the flooding that occurs from monsoons, the high wind storms that damage houses every year (and even badly damaged U of P Stadium when it was being constructed), monsoons, crazy lightning storms, etc, etc. Throw in some dust storms, lack of water, months on end with searing high temps, etc, and voila! Your weather sucks bad too. Ive been here 30 years and have never even seen a tornado. And quit pretending that your winter weather is soooo glorious. Highs in the 50s? lows in the 30s and 20s? Rainy? Give me a REAL warm winter anyday over that garbage (ie Miami, etc). Actually, our lows tonight are warmer than yours.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ekday=Saturday

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...weekday=Friday
Funny how the weather in Arizona has lured more people into Phoenix, than it did into Chicago for the past couple years. So if you describe Arizona that bad, I can't imagine what Illinois might be like. But I guess you haven't been keeping up with the post before this, because I stated that I am now back in Chicago and know exactly what is is like here. Yes, looking out my window and seeing mud, sparse pockets of dirty snow, haze, drizzle, rain, fog, etc, really makes up for the fact that Chicago had a warmer low than Arizona. At least in Phoenix when it gets cold like this it feels awesome, and dos nothing to uspet the beauty of the valley. Here it is just miserable, and makes everything look ugly. I finished up my Christmas shopping today in Shaumburg and it only made me realize how nice we have it in Phoenix. It took me almost 45 minutes to move three miles! It was raining, damp, and everyone just looked miserable and unhappy. The roads seem to be in even worse shape then the last time I was up there, not to mention the fact that Chicago's roads are tolled! The cheap restarants were packed, the overcrowded malls were a mess and dirty, and besides shopping or eating there was nothing else to be had in the entire area. Unless you went into the city, which is like taking your life into your own hands, where everythig I described above is twenty times worse. I'm sorry this is the Chicago perfection that you love sooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Western Chicagoland
18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
Funny how the weather in Arizona has lured more people into Phoenix, than it did into Chicago for the past couple years. So if you describe Arizona that bad, I can't imagine what Illinois might be like. But I guess you haven't been keeping up with the post before this, because I stated that I am now back in Chicago and know exactly what is is like here. Yes, looking out my window and seeing mud, sparse pockets of dirty snow, haze, drizzle, rain, fog, etc, really makes up for the fact that Chicago had a warmer low than Arizona. At least in Phoenix when it gets cold like this it feels awesome, and dos nothing to uspet the beauty of the valley. Here it is just miserable, and makes everything look ugly. I finished up my Christmas shopping today in Shaumburg and it only made me realize how nice we have it in Phoenix. It took me almost 45 minutes to move three miles! It was raining, damp, and everyone just looked miserable and unhappy. The roads seem to be in even worse shape then the last time I was up there, not to mention the fact that Chicago's roads are tolled! The cheap restarants were packed, the overcrowded malls were a mess and dirty, and besides shopping or eating there was nothing else to be had in the entire area. Unless you went into the city, which is like taking your life into your own hands, where everythig I described above is twenty times worse. I'm sorry this is the Chicago perfection that you love sooo much!
Guess what, chump? It was raining and cold in PHX too. I bet you wouldnt be crying there though. Youre just a miserable bag o bones, who cannot handle living in a real city and cries when it gets cold out. Please, go back to Phoenix, Lord knows youll be amongst all the other wussies who you can cry together with. Maybe you can go back to AZ and start the "1st annual convention of Phoenix babies who cant handle cold weather". Be prepared for an onslaught of tanned, wrinkly nasty women coming in droves (one of them might be Alice Cooper, so be warned) to celebrate your event. You can hold such activities as "who can mow their rock yard the fastest", or maybe a "collect all the scorpions from your bed" contest, that would be a winner! Or how about a "chew off the melanoma from your neighbor's back" contest! Mmmmm. In all honesty though, I think holding a "which Arizonan's skin most resembles a catchers mit" contest would probably draw the most contestants.

There. Now I sound like a whiny crybaby too. Sound familiar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, Arizona
128 posts, read 1,084 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Guess what, chump? It was raining and cold in PHX too. I bet you wouldnt be crying there though. Youre just a miserable bag o bones, who cannot handle living in a real city and cries when it gets cold out. Please, go back to Phoenix, Lord knows youll be amongst all the other wussies who you can cry together with. Maybe you can go back to AZ and start the "1st annual convention of Phoenix babies who cant handle cold weather". Be prepared for an onslaught of tanned, wrinkly nasty women coming in droves (one of them might be Alice Cooper, so be warned) to celebrate your event. You can hold such activities as "who can mow their rock yard the fastest", or maybe a "collect all the scorpions from your bed" contest, that would be a winner! Or how about a "chew off the melanoma from your neighbor's back" contest! Mmmmm. In all honesty though, I think holding a "which Arizonan's skin most resembles a catchers mit" contest would probably draw the most contestants.

There. Now I sound like a whiny crybaby too. Sound familiar?
WOW! I think it is safe to say that you have just taken this post to a whole new level! I shouldn't even reply to such a post, but seeing that there is nothing to do in Chicagoland today, I guess I will take a few minutes.

I think the only thing that I got from your post was the fact that you were "trying" to attack Arizona for being tan. Ummm......!! This of course would make sense, only if most of the suburban Chicago women weren't sun worshippers. The people the tan in Arizona do it from the real sun. In Chicago they have to go "fake bake" in some greasy nasty beds which looks cheap, and ugly. Not to mention the fact that negative aspects of tanning beds are just as bad if not worse from the sun. Of course this time of year it only makes it worse looking. LOL LOL! There is nothing like seeing a bunch of very tan people in the middle of winter in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,652 posts, read 1,755,579 times
Reputation: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
...chump ... Youre just a miserable bag o bones, who cannot handle living in a real city and cries when it gets cold out. ... youll be amongst all the other wussies who you can cry together with. ...
There. Now I sound like a whiny crybaby too. Sound familiar?
Classy. With friends like you Illinois needs no enemies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Western Chicagoland
18,533 posts, read 48,397,692 times
Reputation: 7274
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Classy. With friends like you Illinois needs no enemies.
Damn straight. Now, go west young man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Phoenix/Tempe, Arizona
128 posts, read 1,084 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Damn straight. Now, go west young man.
I think we may have found the reason why people find Arizona far more attractive than Illinois. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top