Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 04:11 PM

667 posts, read 2,294,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This has turned into quite the soap opera.
NO kidding!
I didn't mean to cause THIS kind of drama!
But, hey, I think that everyone stated some good points about both areas & I still love IL or AZ ANY day of the week!
And that's not counting Chicago (which I'm sure is a great & wonderful place), bc I've never been there. But after this thread, I'm MOST DEF going to vacation there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 11:48 PM

17 posts, read 103,037 times
Left IL last year for final move to AZ, third time here lucky charm! Have, too, noticed so many from Illinois. Lately enough from TX and OK. The winter, high cost of living, high property taxes, current Chicago style politicking government in Illinois drove me away. AZ people in general more culturally and environementally aware and astute, better spoken, less swearing, less road litter and filth living.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:07 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,874,140 times
Arizona is a like a big southwestern Chicago suburb with desert instead of prairie (same thing to me, being from Michigan). I'll take Seattle ... have been talking with a girl in Seattle for about a week now. Now I just need my PhD and a job offer.

Anyone in a northern state who dreams of Arizona past February should, like, get on a Southwest Airlines flight and remind themselves what a desert does in summer. It gets HOT.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I'll take Seattle ... have been talking with a girl in Seattle for about a week now. Now I just need my PhD and a job offer.
Is her name "LaFonda" by chance? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Anyone in a northern state who dreams of Arizona past February should, like, get on a Southwest Airlines flight and remind themselves what a desert does in summer. It gets HOT.
...and spring and fall too!

Old 05-01-2008, 11:03 AM

572 posts, read 2,478,063 times
Its not just hot 8-10 months out of the year its VERY HOT 6 of these months. Dont move there unless you like HOT and lots of sunshine.
Its not for everybody. There is no such thing as a cool summer in the desert southwest.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
There is no such thing as a cool summer in the desert southwest.
Santa Fe was kinda pleasant. Hot, but not obnoxious like Phoenix or Vegas.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:07 PM

381 posts, read 837,423 times
Not to be mean, but those that live in Arizona are the ones who actually care about Arizona. I don't live in Arizona or Scottsdale*cough*Mega-Naperville*cough*so I could care less.

Bottom line: This is a "my-city/state-is-better-than-yours-so-lets-compare-and-see-who-can-dig-the-most-crap-for-each -other."

Yawn.

Last edited by nJohn; 05-01-2008 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 10:31 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,451,965 times
I joined this forum just to respond to this thread, and specifically the people defending Chicago. I live in Chicago, and have for the last seven years. It is probably one of the uglier states in the country, people, weather, and terrain wise.

Some pro's. We got a nice city, probably one of the nicest in the country. It is kept very clean in parts of it, and the architecture is not too bad. I prefer that of Cincinnati, Ohio. More Euro look. But Chicago is very modern.

Food-It's alright. The pizza is pretty good, overhyped but pretty good. You cannot find pizza like this, or italian beef's at most places in the country. However, I tend to find a couple great pizza places in any city that are almost as good. Lot's of ethnic and cultural restaurants for your choosing if you want some diversity.

Public transport ain't half bad either.

Con's. Chicago get's old. Sorry, but I can only visit the Lincoln Park Zoo and the various museums a couple times before I have to say big deal.

If you want to go hiking, or enjoy nature, Chicago and the rest of Illinois is as ugly as it gets when it comes to terrain. A few preserves exist, but I like serious hiking where I can potentially get lost in the woods. It's called fun. People in Illinois do not appreciate this.

You cannot ride a bike down any road without danger of getting hit by a car. Just the way it is, especially out in the suburbs. In the city it is possible.

The people are NOT friendly, despite what anyone says. Go behind the wheel of a car to see what I mean. I work at a restaurant as well. When I worked at a restaurant in Texas for the summer last year, I never dealt with the crap I deal with up here. Reserved is one way to put it, I noticed someone used that as a plus for Chicago people. Stuck up and snooty is another way to put it. Materialistic? You bet.

The weather blows. It isn't as cold as people make it out to be, but it is cold enough to suck a lot. And it is actually surprisingly hot in the summer. Most of it has to do with the humidity, not the actual heat. I've been to Arizona, and I'll take their heat over this muggy crap anyday of the weak.

I can't really say much for Arizona, I'm not a fan of the desert, but Chicago is very far from paradise. Most people who are raised in Chicago will defend the city to the death, despite high taxes, corruption, extremely high cost of living, etc. I can't even afford an apartment out here. I am a college student, but still. I would encourage most people from Chicago to at least take a look at some other states. You will be much better off in retirement when the cost of living and taxes aren't through the roof, trust me. And you can avoid the urban sprawl.

Chicago BLOWS.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,467,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I live in Chicago, and have for the last seven years. It is probably one of the uglier states in the country, people, weather, and terrain wise.
...You do know that Chicago isn't a state right?

Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
If you want to go hiking, or enjoy nature, Chicago and the rest of Illinois is as ugly as it gets when it comes to terrain. A few preserves exist, but I like serious hiking where I can potentially get lost in the woods. It's called fun. People in Illinois do not appreciate this
Complete BS. Have you even ventured out of Chicagoland? There are dozens of state parks that offer some excellent hiking (ie Starved Rock, Matthiessen, Apple River Canyon, Garden of the Gods, Mississippi Palisades, etc). And on the weekends, guess what? Those parks are PACKED with hikers. You know, those people that "dont appreciate" it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois