Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:04 AM

128 posts, read 266,198 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Champaign County, which is a relatively liberal county that went blue in 2008 and 2012, not surprising, it's a college town. What has intrigued me is that some of Illinois's most conservative counties surround Champaign County. These are Ford, Iroquois, and Douglas counties. While the majority of downstate Illinois is pink or reddish, these counties are solidly red (at least in presidential election data which is usually a good indicator, especially given the Perfect Storm of 2008). So what is going on here? Why are these counties so red compared to neighboring counties? Piatt is redder, Vermilion and Mclean appear to be pink.*

The only counties I can find that can give these counties a run for their money are Effingham, Clay, and Wayne (Wayne and Effingham appear to be the most conservative in the state, and I know Effingham has a heavy Evangelical population that probably accounts for their strength here). The 2012 data reveals counties going as red as these all over downstate Illinois, but I prefer to focus on the 2008 data because it shows us where real conservatives lie, as Obama far and wide had the upper hand in that election.

There must be more going on here than the rural factor, because downstate Illinois has a lot of rural farmland and rural counties that don't go nearly as red as these counties did [in 2008]. What is going on here?

Since I am asking this question, I'd also like to know if anyone can explain why McCain in the 2008 primary took massive chunks of Clinton and Washington counties while everything around it went starkly opposite? These counties also (especially Clinton) showed some of Huckabee's weakest downstate results. Huckabee represents a more socially conservative candidate, thus could it be inferred that at least Clinton county is not a very socially conservative county even though it is still Republican throughout? If so, what would explain this?

*A side note, Ford county is solidly in Huckabee's socially conservative camp while Iroquois county bucks the trend, turning out few results for Huckabee and heavily favouring McCain.

Last edited by viktor77; 08-04-2014 at 01:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
You are probably spending too much time thinking about things that are not really easy to categorize. The various trends of which issues motivate individual voters sometimes matter less than the "bulk" of votes that can be captured with broader themes.

Maybe the effectiveness of NRA or some agricultural group was effective in getting out voters but if there are only a few hundred voters in that county va the thousands of kids motivated to vote for "hope & change"...

Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
FWIW I find most college towns tend to be a bit more liberal as the college population is more global. IL is an AG state. Most farm communities are solidly conservative. Larger towns are a mix. It really makes little difference as Cook County and Chicago have a combined population hat is more than double the population of the balance of the state. Cook and Chicago elect the governor and dominate the state legislature.

Welcome to Illinois politics.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
I think it is too naive to determine whether a county is conservative or liberal based on ballots cast in one or two presidential elections.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

Maybe the effectiveness of NRA or some agricultural group was effective in getting out voters but if there are only a few hundred voters in that county va the thousands of kids motivated to vote for "hope & change"...
Funny that if the NRA or an ag group gets people out, those U.S. citizens are classified as "voters," whereas in the reverse, those U.S. citizens are classified as "kids."

Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,936,054 times
Sheesh, is there really any doubt that majority of VOTERS in Chambana are college students that may be elligible to vote for the first time? I doubt any of them are on the "robocall" lists of any partcular advocacy group...

In contrast there is also little doubt that the "poltical action committees" that do cross reference NRA members and folks that sign up for agricultural groups (and in more urban areas those on the other side that suppport "health issues" or "immigration reform" or whatever) are a big factor in certain kinds of elections.

Btw -- Survey: Students Faith in National Leaders Nosedives

Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Sheesh, is there really any doubt that majority of VOTERS in Chambana are college students that may be elligible to vote for the first time? I doubt any of them are on the "robocall" lists of any partcular advocacy group...

In contrast there is also little doubt that the "poltical action committees" that do cross reference NRA members and folks that sign up for agricultural groups (and in more urban areas those on the other side that suppport "health issues" or "immigration reform" or whatever) are a big factor in certain kinds of elections.

Btw -- Survey: Students Faith in National Leaders Nosedives
I think you're neglecting all the faculty, staff, and general population that live in the Champaign area that aren't students and aren't kids. The 200,000+ people in the area are not even half students.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
Do we actually know how many of the U.S. students at UIUC actually vote in national elections?

In the Fall of 2013 there was a total of registered students (43,400) in a city with an estimated population of 83,424 in 2013. Urbana population is smaller at 41,752.

UIUC students equal about 1/3 of the total Urbana and Champaign combined population (cities only) in 2013.

The population count does not include any of the many UIUC teaching faculty. For this exercise only I assume the teachers who are Illinois residents vote in the same place where they are registered.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 AM

128 posts, read 266,198 times
Quote:
You are probably spending too much time thinking about things that are not really easy to categorize. The various trends of which issues motivate individual voters sometimes matter less than the "bulk" of votes that can be captured with broader themes.

I thought this might be a likely outcome, that these were more flukes, or just the result of various insignificant data that can't really be used to characterize an entire county. I still find it interesting that certain counties go far redder than others, but it may not be that significant. The 2012 vote shows a much more solidly red downstate Illinois where the 2008 vote is pink dotted with red.

I do though think that Champaign's tendency to go blue isn't 100% a result of their student population. Yes, it's a factor, but faculty who work at large universities tend to be more liberal minded. The more academic you become the more liberal you become, generally speaking. Also Champaign has some factories, that is also a factor. The faculty in fact might not always live in Champaign, and they may be commuting from Monticello, Bloomington, Decatur, and so on, causing those cities to move towards pinker.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:59 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,324,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
FWIW I find most college towns tend to be a bit more liberal as the college population is more global. IL is an AG state. Most farm communities are solidly conservative. Larger towns are a mix. It really makes little difference as Cook County and Chicago have a combined population hat is more than double the population of the balance of the state. Cook and Chicago elect the governor and dominate the state legislature.
What?!?

12,880,000 people in Illinois -
5,231,000 people in Cook and Chicago, combined =
7,649,000 people in Illinois outside of Cook and Chicago

There are 1.5x more people outside of Cook and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois