Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 14,602 times

Advertisements

My husband and 1(almost 2) yr old son are moving to Springfield, IL from Phoenix, AZ because my husband is basically getting into the labors union. He would be making what we make combined here in AZ. Except benefits included. I'm wondering if anyone had some input on this, whether they've made a similar move and if it basically would be worth it. I understand that the cost of living is similar if not less in Springfield but what could we expect? Does it snow? Is there any Mexican or Hispanic type of grocery items? Any information really would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 06:38 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,005,756 times
One thing you can count on in Springfield is snow in the winter. Average is about 20 inches a season, although it can vary from a little (winter of 2011-2012, 9" total) to a lot (winter of 2013-2014, 45" + total with 17"+ in a single event.)

Is it worth it? Only you can say and you won't know until you try. Every family has different values and priorities. You can have a decent quality of life in Springfield. You do need to exercise caution in choosing where to live as there are some crime infested neighborhoods. Also, many people find the Springfield public schools inadequate. There are some decent "suburbs" around if you want something a little more small-towny. Do you have to live in the Springfield city limits, or do you just need to be in the area? Are you looking to buy a home or rent?

Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 PM

No I don't have to live in the city and I would probably prefer the suburbs anyway. Looking to rent for the time being but I've read that the market might be small since most people own their homes in the area. Should I be worried?

Old 08-11-2014, 07:33 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,005,756 times
I'm not familiar with the current rental market, although when I lived in Springfield (late 90's, early 2000's) I rented two different homes (one a duplex unit, one a single-family) before buying a home.

If I were to go back to the area, Rochester would be the first place I'd look to live. The west side of Springfield proper would also be in consideration if I had a 2 year old since schools wouldn't really be an issue for a number of years.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
There is always a risk in moving, and there is always a bit of a culture shock, too. plus every region is different. IL is an AG state, dominated by Chicago./Cook County, that has 102 counties and 12+ million people. In between Chicago and East St. Louis, IL is Central IL that stretches between the western border (Mississippi River) and the eastern border (Indiana) border. Springfield is one of 3 large communities situated between I-55 and the Mississippi River: Peoria, the twin cities of Bloomington and Normal, and Springfield. Collectively, the MSA (metropolitan statistical area) is approaching 900,000 spread over 90 miles. The population of the Cities of Peoria and Springfield are very similar with both over 100,000 population. Both are union towns. Springfield is the State Capitol city. Peoria isa STEM city and the oldest community in the seven county Illinois River Valley that is surrounded by high rolling hills and tall cliffs. There are children's museums, history, culture, planetarium, performing arts, summer stock theatre, the only State Forest, the wetlands are allegedly the largest inland wildlife and fowl refuge in America,and more.

Presidents Lincoln and Reagan both have trails "to follow" and museums. Mucht of Lincoln's history is in Springfield and as far NNW as Metamora Court House in Woodford County, where as Dutch Reagan's one-of-kind items not found elsewhere are also in Woodford County at the Eureka Liberal Arts College where Dutch earned a double degree. . The Peace Garden dedicated to him is on the school grounds and contains a piece of the Berlin Wall.

There is waterpark at Springfield, and a new watermark at East Peoria not far from a children's animal farm. The children's museum in Normal, and a new museum for children that is soon to open in Glen Oak Park in the Peoria Zoo campus. The Luthey Botanical Garden are in the same campus. There is a Chuck E. Cheese in Peoria and a Illinois Wild Animal Zoological Park with food and lodging. There is also a wheels of time museum in Peoria. If it has some type of wheel or round gear that moves it is in mthe Wheels O' Time. Howeve, your kids are probably not old enough to enjoy it, yet. I don't know anything about Springfield for toddlers. Springfield and Peoria have different versions of many similar items manx events.

Our twin sister cities are as different from each other as Peoia is from Springfield. Normal is smaller and home to Illinois State University and its 22,000 student population. It has the only Meijer's grocery store in this part of central Illinois. It is home to the busiest Amtrack station in Illinois outside of Chicago, plus it has the children's museum. Bloomington has the airport. A Trailways Bus or a Grayhound Bus is at one of the two locations. As the trains stop in Sprinfield it is easy enough to spend the day in St. Louis or Chicago and return home the same night. Bloomington is the seat of county business and home two two of the nation's largest insurance companies. ISU has one of the top 14 actuary programs in North America. ISU grads often work for the insurance companies. There are some very good colleges and universities in central Illinois.

Between the 3 communities there are 7 college/universities, several trade schools, two medical schools, nursing schools and 2-3 community colleges. There is also 10 hospitals, and six malls, probably two dozen shopping centers, and as many grocery stores, meat and fish markets, farmer;s markets, etc. As far as entertainment, sigh, well you can find it every weekend. The offerings can vary from Broadway to the Pepsi medallion hunt, 4K race, triathlon club, one of the largest night Christmas Parades and displays in the nation, the oldest Santa Parade in the nation, National TT Finals, the oldest juried art fair outside of Chicago, and the obligatory cook off and car shows.

You can find natural food stores, alternate medicine, and Costco. What you cannot find is Trader Joe's. The closest to Springfield is in St. Louis, the largest store I believe is off Rose Street in Brentwood. Its about a 100 miles from Springfield. There is one in downtown Chicago if you drive an extra 200 miles up and back. Sunday morning there is little traffic in St. Louis before about 11am. Taxes in the St. Louis store are cheaper than in Chicago. .

IL public schools are Pre-K to 12th grade. The schools offer a descent education K-8. The biggest problem with high schools (grade 9-12) is they are filled with teenagers.

Central Illinois does not have dry desert heat in the summer. It is hot and humid. Winter's can be downright pleasant or bitterly cold. You'll find Shnuck's, Aldi, Walmart, and others. Krpger's is better known in the SW and in SoCal as Ralph's. Pricewise Aldi's house brand is very good and bests the pants off the others when it comes to veggie, bread, dairy, cereal, and some meat and fowl.

IL Ipersonal come tax is a flat 5%. Groceries outside of Chicago are !%. Tax on non-essentials such as liquor, convenience and deli food, cigarettes, are obnoxious. I lived in southern states and didn't see much difference in the cost of car/house insurance, utilities.
There is no secondary personal property income tax, or tax on pension or SS., but real estate taxes can be a shock. They stay in your county and support schools, colleges, hospitals, EMT, parks, city and county services such as fire and police, roads and bridges, museums and government buildings, etc.. Now, if you live in the county, and not inside the city limits of any town your real estate taxes will be lower. And with two babies you may qualify for the WIC program. The state has some really good services for children and seniors, and some really good doctors. I personally prefer the smaller town such as Lincoln that has a very good hospital, good city services, its pretty safem and the COL is lower. However, what you don't get anywhere in rural America is a fast internet.

Welcome to Illinois! It is not the worst place you could ever live. It's green; it's leafy, the parks are beautiful and the shopping iand health care is pretty good overall.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
I did the move from IL to AZ (Phoenix) and can relate. Springfield is a pretty decent place to live. I never actually lived there myself, but visited it a lot. As others have mentioned, there are some bad areas to steer clear of (not unlike Mesa, AZ). Just do a little research, and maybe visit the area first before you make the move. As youve noticed, IL does pay quite a bit more than AZ, and from my experience, the COL is about the same as AZ, but maybe a little more in IL. There is a decently large Hispanic population in Springfield, but nothing like in AZ, so Im sure there are some carniceria's around town, but I can say I didnt see any when I was there. Yes, it snows in Springfield. Not as much as Chicago, but its a yearly occurrence. When your kid gets older, Im sure theyll love it. You can take em sledding, etc, which theyll dig.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks guys for the input! I guess it's just a lot of adjusting since I come from the west. I've lived in AZ and before that CA so it is something different. Kinda nervous about missing the Mexican food. Lol. When it comes to winter I'm not sure what to expect I've never lived somewhere it snows yearly. That's going to be interesting. Do I need to get snow boots? Or is it more like just be careful with the slush?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
Snow boots? Depends on the weather. What you DO NEED is water proof shoes/boots with a non-slip sole. You have to remember when you are walking in 3-6" of slush your feet will be wet and cold if you do not wear some type of boot. You will want to keep your kids ears and nose/mouth covered between house and car. The wind chill can be brutal.

I loved the desert southwest for the food and the items with the Spanish influence. I have the pepers hanging in my pantry, but I digress. Central Illinois has very good food. Peoria has had a small Mexican grocery story for 30 years., I did find a restaurant/ small grocery where you should be able to find mole, and small items, but you probably won't find the kitchen tiles, or large items. If this store doesn't have it, the Pottstown Deli @ Metro Centre on University does sells Chorizo. It isn't too far from the 3 Reales Tiendabuilding or difficult to find.

(The) 3 Reales Tienda Mexicana@ 1621 N. Knoxville. No phone, but I expect it to be open for Lunch and Dinner most days. The is located in the old Lum's restaurant building on the west side of Knoxville. Peoria is not compact; it sprawls. It can be a little comfusing at first.

Peoria and Springfield are about 90 miles apart plus five miles to the stores. If you are interested I'm happy to help further. Your other options are Chicago and possibly St. Louis.

Last edited by linicx; 08-13-2014 at 04:29 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 16,703 times
As someone in my early 20's, who spent the first 18 years of their life in Springfield, I agree with the Rochester comment. There are numerous nice duplexes for rent there (unsure of prices, etc.) In my opinion, all the schools suck. Rochester is probably the nicest public school in the area, but the students are all hicks, or sl*ts. I recommend private schools.. aim for lutheran > catholic though... Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 PM

159 posts, read 198,934 times
You will find decent Mexican grocery stores. Don't worry! You will probably find a restaurant or two that serves acceptable food, but it probably won't "blow your mind."

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you whether or not you'll be okay with the weather. In some ways it is similar to AZ, but in reverse. In both places people spend 3-4 months favoring the indoors. For AZ it is to avoid heat, and IL it is to avoid cold. I do prefer IL over AZ, personally, because I like how green and lush it can get here and I'm not that into the brown, desert landscape (even though it has its own beauty). But that is just me! YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois