Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,171,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
U of I: Home of the World Wide Web.
Not exactly. Marc Andreessen, an undergrad student at the U of I, along with another person, developed the Mosaic web browser, which eventually evolved into Netscape. This made the Web user friendly.

If you have Microsoft Internet Explorer previous to version 7, click on help and then click on about - you will find credit given to the U of I.

Of course, if you ever watched the movie "2001," you will know that the fictional computer "HAL" was also created at the U of I.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 PM

128 posts, read 172,643 times
Well this is an easy one! Because the enitre population of suburban Chicagoland covets the California and Arizona lifestyle! Sure, you find people that also love Seattle too. But the amount of people that would move to either of these two states on any given day is sad. I know for fact that the streets of the Phoenix area are packed with Chicago residents at this very moment, many of which are dreading coming back to the sad reality that awaits them in Siberian suburbia!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Blah blah blah blah blah.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM

166 posts, read 482,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I don't know how many or how few people have moved from Illinois to the Pacific Northwest, but I did.
I am from Chicago and currently live in outside Seattle, WA.

AND.....I wear my BEARS gear no matter where I live. I am a loyal fan. I hope that you are as loyal to your team. Plus, I don't feel the need to 'dis other teams or their gear - good sportsmanship is important.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert student View Post
Because the enitre population of suburban Chicagoland covets the California and Arizona lifestyle!
The entire population? Really now. I'll have to inform my suburban mother who, if anything, talks about moving back to New England if she talks about moving anywhere, that she is clearly deluded and desires to live in the wrong place.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
This thread is a complete waste of time.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Well this is an easy one! Because the enitre population of suburban Chicagoland covets the California and Arizona lifestyle! Sure, you find people that also love Seattle too. But the amount of people that would move to either of these two states on any given day is sad. I know for fact that the streets of the Phoenix area are packed with Chicago residents at this very moment, many of which are dreading coming back to the sad reality that awaits them in Siberian suburbia!
LOL

If its Siberian suburbia here, its Saharan suburbia there.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
Quote:
I know for fact that the streets of the Phoenix area are packed with Chicago residents at this very moment, many of which are dreading coming back to the sad reality that awaits them in Siberian suburbia!
Yeah, and they're all over 70 years old and driving golf carts around town! Am I one of the only people who actually prefers Chicago's weather to Phoenix's? Sure, Phoenix is nicer from December through March, but man those summers are awful! And the town itself is completely bereft of anything interesting. What a hellhole! Just wait until the water supply dries up.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:14 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Quote:
Arizona is where god will send me if I am damned to hell. I lived in the PNW, its beyond glorious. I would take drizzle over dry,brown,baking heat any day. Your info is way off base, illinois people may like to escape a bit over winter, but thats why theres florida.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,779,208 times
I know a few ex-Chicagoans who have moved to Portland and/or Seattle, and they love it. But they still love Chicago too.

Portland and Seattle, along with San Francisco, are the only major cities west of the Mississippi that are good urban environments. I wish Portland had a more extensive public transportation system--but they do fund the one they have quite nicely and have excellent regional urban planning strategies. Most Chicagoans I know have very good opinions of these cities, but the only mass migration out of Chicago at this point is towards the Sun Belt. I think this has much more to do with economics than weather, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois