U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 PM

219 posts, read 353,130 times

Advertisements

Residents in Denning Township in West Frankfort will see an 11% increase on their next property tax bill. This is a huge increase to be added all at once. I was told by an employee at the assessors office, this is a result of the assessor not properly down her job for years, and Springfield stepped in and forced the increase to occur.

If you want to verify this information call the Franklin County Assessors Office at 618-438-4331.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 02:21 PM

11,537 posts, read 29,001,851 times
The state sets the assessment for each county. Every 2 to 4 years the counties are reassessed. In these years the county tax assessor reassesses every building in the county. AFAIK s/he does not enter any building. They drive by to see if it is still standing, its physical appearance, and if any major improvements, buildings, additions or extensions have been added since the previous assessment.

There is almost always a tax increase.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The state sets the assessment for each county. Every 2 to 4 years the counties are reassessed. In these years the county tax assessor reassesses every building in the county. AFAIK s/he does not enter any building. They drive by to see if it is still standing, its physical appearance, and if any major improvements, buildings, additions or extensions have been added since the previous assessment.

There is almost always a tax increase.
I understand that, but we were advised by the officials she failed to follow the state requirements. 11% is huge in an economically depressed area...or any area for that matter. My bill is increasing by $1200.

Down here each "township" has its own assessor. Franklin County has about 6.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:42 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,417,268 times
In Illinois there is NO ROLE for the STATE in setting assessments. NONE. This is complete misunderstanding of how the process works.

The State can impose an "equalization factor" to make the inter-county factor more fair -- What is the Equalization Factor/Multiplier? | Supervisor of Assessments Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ

Understanding Your Property Tax Bill

http://tax.illinois.gov/Publications...t/PTAX1004.pdf

The OP is almost certainly correct that a township assessor that has not properly accounted for changes in value over time could leave property owners open to HUGE increases. There will likely be some news stories about this, though Franklin County is not going to get major coverage statewide ... Denning Township, Franklin County, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
In Illinois there is NO ROLE for the STATE in setting assessments. NONE. This is complete misunderstanding of how the process works.

The State can impose an "equalization factor" to make the inter-county factor more fair -- What is the Equalization Factor/Multiplier? | Supervisor of Assessments Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ

Understanding Your Property Tax Bill

http://tax.illinois.gov/Publications...t/PTAX1004.pdf

The OP is almost certainly correct that a township assessor that has not properly accounted for changes in value over time could leave property owners open to HUGE increases. There will likely be some news stories about this, though Franklin County is not going to get major coverage statewide ... Denning Township, Franklin County, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for the clarification. I probably misunderstood the little clerk that was forced to deal with me. I only found out because my home got reassessed on top of it. Double whammy. i was the only one in my neighborhood, and I have only lived in my house a year. Several of my neighbors have larger nicer homes, but for whatever reason the assessor decided mine was worth the most! I pulled 20 of my neighbors bills, one is a house twice my size, all high end, brick, etc....EMPTY for over a year, owned by a local businessman and his taxes are less than half of mine. Hmmmmmmm......I am filing the complaint, which is the first step in the appeal process. I'm also supplying them with their own records of all of the other homes in my neighborhood for comparables, my appraisal and current comps from comparable homes that have sold within the last 3 years in our county. I'm about 60k over assessed according to all public records.

Old 12-27-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Thats why our family moved out of the west suburbs of Illinois to Indiana earlier this year.
We easily save $6,000 a year just on property taxes. Income and sales tax savings are another 4,000 a year.
Then we were able to buy a much bigger home on a bigger lot for a fraction of the price we would of paid in the west suburbs.
I'm not far behind you....my son graduates in May. We are looking to get out as well.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:56 AM

11,537 posts, read 29,001,851 times
The 11% error is a horrible mistake, and an expensive one. I don't know if you will get all your hard work to stick. Then County Board will deny it. You might be able to take the assessor into civl court and sue her

Tax reductions are based on paying more for your house than it is worth, your age, if it is your primary residence and some other thing. If the comp is older than 90 days the County Board of Assessors won't consider it. If you think you paid too much then you will need an independent Home Appraisal that you pay for that is not more than 90 days old. Further, to get the reduction you must live in your house two Januarys such as Jan 2013 and Jan 2014. .

The county calls it Fair Market Value. In my county downstate the FMV is 3x the actual value of the property. I do not know if the actual value is determined by age, location, purchase price or ??? Here the court employees guard this type of information like it is the goose that laid the golden egg.

What I am learning is different counties use different schemes to not lose any more tax dollars than humanly possible. We now have a high tax on groceries that puts the cost of most of our groceries at nearly nine percent. But the cost of gasoline is down to nearly $2.

Last edited by linicx; 12-28-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 07:39 AM

Illinix....my increase is higher than 11% because my home got reassessed too. So, I'm looking at about 20+%. I have my appraisal from time of purchase, and all my comps, which they said they'd accept in my appeal. Given that all of this is public information, I had no difficulty getting the information and one of the clerks even helped me find one comp that I was looking for. The Review Board is required to consider all evidence that I submit and will have to try to justify why my house, out of 20, is more expensive than some of my neighbors. Good luck with that. That will not be possible. I'm not saying they can't try to say that, but if they would like to take a walking tour of my neighborhood, I'd be glad to show them around!

FMV is determined by the market. Our market has declined since I bought this house in 2013. All of that was affirmed by recent comps. Everyone will have a hard time finding any comparable property that has sold within 90 days. I've got all the past year. There are about 4.

The 11% is across the board for everyone. That increase we may all be stuck with.

Last edited by Beachgoer44; 12-28-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 PM

I won round one! My appeal got my taxes reduced back to where they were. I'm now going to soldier on because comparatively, our home is still taxed the highest in our neighborhood by a great deal, and many of my neighbors have larger homes with more amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois