Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 7,074 times

Advertisements

Hi my family and I are moving to Il. We are looking to move to the area around Sterling or Rock Falls as this is where my husbands job is. My problem is we dont know anything about the areas such as how good are the schools are they safe places to raise a family etc. I have heard one good thing about the area but then i have also heard some bad stuff dose anyone have any first hand knowlege of the towns ( good or bad ) that can help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Sterling and Rock Falls are not that great, the better of the two being Sterling, IMO. If you absolutely must live in that area, pick Oregon, IL. Its not nearly as bad as Dixon, Sterling or Rock Falls. I suppose Dixon is semi-decent, but dont expect any nightlife, fine dining, etc. Schools, Ive heard, are not that great either. In Oregon the scenery is better, there are at least a few choices (still not many) of some nicer restaurants, Lowden-Miller State Forest access, Castle Rock State Park and the Blackhawk statue on the bluffs on the east side of the Rock River. Homes seem to be in better shape in most of Oregon too, and youre still a decently short drive from Dixon/Sterling/Rock Falls. The only thing I liked about living near Dixon is that it was close to I-88 so I could get the heck outta there and back to Chicagoland on the weekends to go eat/shop/etc.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sterling and Rock Falls are not that great, the better of the two being Sterling, IMO. If you absolutely must live in that area, pick Oregon, IL. Its not nearly as bad as Dixon, Sterling or Rock Falls. I suppose Dixon is semi-decent, but dont expect any nightlife, fine dining, etc. Schools, Ive heard, are not that great either. In Oregon the scenery is better, there are at least a few choices (still not many) of some nicer restaurants, Lowden-Miller State Forest access, Castle Rock State Park and the Blackhawk statue on the bluffs on the east side of the Rock River. Homes seem to be in better shape in most of Oregon too, and youre still a decently short drive from Dixon/Sterling/Rock Falls. The only thing I liked about living near Dixon is that it was close to I-88 so I could get the heck outta there and back to Chicagoland on the weekends to go eat/shop/etc.
Do you know why the two towns are not that great? other than no entertainment and stuff? Im asking cuse we are from California and what might be bad to you is great for us that kind of thing

Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
Do you know why the two towns are not that great? other than no entertainment and stuff? Im asking cuse we are from California and what might be bad to you is great for us that kind of thing
Well, what are you looking for? Rock Falls and Sterling are very small, with crime levels that are quite high considering their small size. Storefronts are old and rundown, the "mall" in town is tiny and 1/2 the stores are closed down. The hotspot is the super WalMart or Menards. The homes are old, not very well kept up. There is practically no diversity in those towns either. The only diversity youll see is what group of people likes what Nascar driver. j/k Im trying to think of a city in CA that can compare, but I cant. Maybe Needles? In any case, Id give Sterling and Rock Falls a 3 out of 10 (10 being highly recommended). Dixon is slightly better, as its larger and has more stuff to do, but its still not very desirable. Id really need to know more about what youre looking for in the towns, then I can tell you if its a good fit or not.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:38 PM

what kind of crimes are they? B&E My dog will stop anyone from that at our home Drugs(not to good) Assalts That kind of thing. Not to big on shopping and anyway I guess My husband already found some huge outlet mall out there I kind of like older homes they have more character. And as long as there are Gordon Johnson & Jr. fans well be O.K. Haha. Basicly I want to know if my kids can play out side and I wont have to worry about a drive by. Can I talk to my Next door Neighbor or is it like here where you dont even know the people you live next to and really dont want to. Thanks for your help by the way

Old 01-08-2008, 10:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
This topic was also covered pretty extensively in this thread.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mira1 View Post
what kind of crimes are they? B&E My dog will stop anyone from that at our home Drugs(not to good) Assalts That kind of thing. Not to big on shopping and anyway I guess My husband already found some huge outlet mall out there I kind of like older homes they have more character. And as long as there are Gordon Johnson & Jr. fans well be O.K. Haha. Basicly I want to know if my kids can play out side and I wont have to worry about a drive by. Can I talk to my Next door Neighbor or is it like here where you dont even know the people you live next to and really dont want to. Thanks for your help by the way
Well, then it sounds like you might like the area. Drive-bys? Nothing to worry about. Seems like most of the problems in the area are related to drugs and DUI's, some domestic violence. Im sure there are some gang members in the area, but they wont make a noticeable difference. And if you like older homes, youll love the area. Everything from Victorians to cookie cutters. But like I said earlier, all the ones we looked at were in dire need of repair, but once fixed would be beautiful. Im not sure what outlet mall your husband is referring to, it must be new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois