Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 3,890 times

Advertisements

My laptop exploded (it was plugged in) and caught fire. 911/Fire dept came and broke our neighbors doors to see the damage. We don't have renters insurance.Rental apartment guys are asking us to pay for the whole damage.Can we hire some contractor and have it repaired?
1. 6 inches of carpet got burnt (1000$ to replace entire living room carpet)
2. our ceiling is black with smoke (to paint and clean the house 1000$)
3. Fire fighters broke 4 neighbors units doors (1000$ per door). So total we have to pay 6000$.

Even if we have the renter's insurance, I guess they won't cover the building damage (outside my unit).

Are we liable to pay all the money? Should the landlord 's have property insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:43 AM

13 posts, read 47,570 times
For those costs hiring an attorney might be prudent to determine your liability. For a couple hundred bucks they could give you an honest assessment of what you might have to pay for, and represent you should any problems come up.

And renters insurance might have covered those costs. I know my renters policy has liability coverage that would easily cover those amounts. But it would depend on the specific policy.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:01 PM

We checked with our prior renter insurance agent, he said the renter's insurance would only cover the damages caused inside the unit (In our case that was below 1000$). The damage to the apartment building will not be covered by renter's insurance itseems, it should be claimed by property/landlord's insurance.

We are thinking to seek legal advice regarding our liability. Our lease document says that we are liable for the damage caused due to our negligence, but the incident was just an accident.Who will expect laptop to explode:-( Even Cop who came in during the incident told this is not tenant negligence.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:51 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
You need an attorney ASAP. You did not cause this; the exploding laptop did. Therefore you may have claim against the manufacturer of said laptop. I hope you kept it as evidence.

Call an attorney especially if you were injured.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:51 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
Sounds like a defective battery. I'd definitely consult an attorney but I'd be surprised if you are liable for anything other than damages to your own property which is what you have renters insurance for. The Landowner's insurance should take care of the other damages as that is why they have it. It was not as though you intentionally set the place on fire. Also the laptop manufacturer may have liability as Linicx said. There have been quite a few recalls on laptop batteries. I know Dell went through that around 2007 or so.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:49 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
BTW some of those damages sound inflated ($1000 per door?). Perhaps the landowner is concerned about their insurance rates going up and trying to stick you with the bill.

edit
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-ten...ire-64971.html

most of the articles on the net indicate you are not responsible for those costs unless the landlord can show intention or negligence on your part.

Here is a case very similar to yours
http://petriestocking.com/blog/2009/...r-fire-damage/

Last edited by MSchemist80; 03-16-2015 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,304,811 times
A good lawyer would sue the manufacturer of the battery and laptop.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:05 PM

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, we have the exploded laptop with us. We are collecting police and fire incident reports.
We contacted few lawyers and Illinois tenant organisation, according to them "A tenant is responsible for damage
ONLY if the loss is a result of their negligence or neglect." We are going to say our property manager that we won't pay for the damages. Will see their response and take the issue forward based on that. Once again thanks all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois