U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:54 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,304,131 times

Advertisements

I read Illinois had 36 tornadoes in 1996. How do you protect yourself...do people have saferooms in their basements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2006, 08:12 AM

1,280 posts, read 3,848,650 times
you go to a safe place in your home
you watch for signs
and you never NEVER 2nd guess!

Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,861,113 times
my saferoom IS my basement.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 60,640 times
i all was told that there no toradoes in my town at all and i live in a trailer they been around us but not in the town so far

Old 11-16-2006, 12:19 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,960,131 times
Ive lived here 29 years and have never even seen one yet. Youre supposed to take shelter in the basement or in a bathroom.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 60,640 times
or go to a ditch out side

Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 PM

5 posts, read 29,848 times
Default Tornadoes not a problem in Chicago & 'burbs

I echo Steve-o: In the 25 years I've lived in IL, I've never actually experienced a tornado.

There have been plenty of tornado warnings and tornado watches, but the only one I've been close to was the one that destroyed a lot of Plainfield, IL in 1990. You can read about it on Wikipedia, actually! Type in "Plainfield Tornado" and it'll tell you the whole story.

Other than that, I think that most of those tornadoes you mentioned (36 in 1996 - why are you quoting stats from 1996, anyway?) were mostly in unpopulated areas or very low-density population areas in IL.

For some reason, tornadoes hardly ever form or touch down near the suburbs and definitely not in Chicago since 1893 (when a tornado swept through the Chicago World's Fair but it didn't knock over the Ferris Wheel!).

According to the NOAA National Weather Service: The most recent significant tornado occurred on May 18 1997. This F2 had a path between Lindenhurst and Gurnee in Lake county (IL) and caused no deaths or injuries. Check out their website for more tornado-information (www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/severe/SigChiTorn.php) (broken link).

Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,861,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestermann View Post
I echo Steve-o: In the 25 years I've lived in IL, I've never actually experienced a tornado.

There have been plenty of tornado warnings and tornado watches, but the only one I've been close to was the one that destroyed a lot of Plainfield, IL in 1990. You can read about it on Wikipedia, actually! Type in "Plainfield Tornado" and it'll tell you the whole story.

Other than that, I think that most of those tornadoes you mentioned (36 in 1996 - why are you quoting stats from 1996, anyway?) were mostly in unpopulated areas or very low-density population areas in IL.

For some reason, tornadoes hardly ever form or touch down near the suburbs and definitely not in Chicago since 1893 (when a tornado swept through the Chicago World's Fair but it didn't knock over the Ferris Wheel!).

According to the NOAA National Weather Service: The most recent significant tornado occurred on May 18 1997. This F2 had a path between Lindenhurst and Gurnee in Lake county (IL) and caused no deaths or injuries. Check out their website for more tornado-information (www.crh.noaa.gov/lot/severe/SigChiTorn.php) (broken link).
I was living in Grayslake during the 1997 storm. I remember it.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 AM

260 posts, read 1,021,185 times
I've lived in Illinois all my life and have never even seen one. I have seen the damage they cause, normally you'll get a swath of damage about a quarter-mile wide where it's been. IF you pay attention to the skies, and you keep a weather-alert radio handy, you should be fine. When a warning is given, go to the basement and hunker down. Or in an interior room without windows if a basement isn't handy. The only recent deaths I know of in Illinois from a tornado happened when a 150 year old stone building collapsed upon people who had sought shelter there. Tragic yes, but something that happened entirely by chance. BTW, the sky usually turns an odd color when a tornado is near, plus you'll feel edgy. Once you're here for a while you won't give tornados much thought, it's something to be dealt with, like rain and snow.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:15 AM

131 posts, read 682,413 times
I've seen five tornadoes, and I won't lie: they'll scare the pants off you if you see one. But as evidenced by most of the rest of the people in this thread, it IS rare to actually see a tornado. They strike fast, and vanish just as fast. Most of the time they don't do much, or they tear up something unimportant, or they touch down somewhere uninhabited.

Every community has tornado sirens. Listen for them when a tornado warning has been issued for your county. If you hear the siren go off, that means a tornado is confirmed in your area. Don't panic, but also don't waste time making yourself safe. 99.9% of the time nothing will happen, but all it takes is once. Always take that siren seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois