U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:43 PM

781 posts, read 2,559,468 times
I'll work outside in that type of weather.I forgot i do.The colder the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 06:07 PM

905 posts, read 1,820,014 times
What sort of bundling do you guys suggest? Is a huge coat along with a couple of sweaters and a scarf, gloves, hat, gonna cut it? And what about my legs? I'm from NYC - it gets cold there, but not that cold. We'd get sub-zero maybe once a decade.

'Course this has to be the three-day weekend, and so my mom is coming to town to help me buy furniture...renting a car, too. Should be tremendous fun in the zero degrees....

Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM

781 posts, read 2,559,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
What sort of bundling do you guys suggest? Is a huge coat along with a couple of sweaters and a scarf, gloves, hat, gonna cut it? And what about my legs? I'm from NYC - it gets cold there, but not that cold. We'd get sub-zero maybe once a decade.

'Course this has to be the three-day weekend, and so my mom is coming to town to help me buy furniture...renting a car, too. Should be tremendous fun in the zero degrees....
Thermal under garment with a fleece jacket works for me.A fleece head wrap and mittens with fleece lining work great also.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,029,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post

I do "thin" long underwear on top, tank top underneath. TURTLENECK A MUST FOR ME -- it's my uniform all winter. Feel freezing without one even if it's as "warm" as 30. Crew neck sweater over the turtleneck (I walk near the lake). Bottom, pants of course and tights underneath (don't recommend the tights for the gentlemen). A great pair of suede boots, and I'm done. Then on to the parka, gloves, scarf, headband (don't wear hats).

Can I go out now? I'm getting warm in here....

By the way, skipped out for a walk about 3:30. The wind had died down along the lake and I actually felt WARM for awhile there. Nuts?

When do we get whackd with this blast? Is it Saturday still?

I'm actually looking forward to it.....

Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM

19,213 posts, read 50,092,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
When do we get whackd with this blast? Is it Saturday still?

I'm actually looking forward to it.....
Yep, Saturday it is. Its gonna be cooooooooold.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Allrightey, then. I'm ready.

Looking out the 40th floor, I see a couple of fluries. I can usually see the Adler, but not today....mist.....felt pretty darn warm this morning.

Chgo weather setting us up for the kill with warm "foreword"? It was actually "nice" (temp wise) this morning.....

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

The flurries just went vertical and heavier looking.....

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBurgess View Post
Allrightey, then. I'm ready.

Looking out the 40th floor, I see a couple of fluries. I can usually see the Adler, but not today....mist.....felt pretty darn warm this morning.

Chgo weather setting us up for the kill with warm "foreword"? It was actually "nice" (temp wise) this morning.....
Are you new to the area?

If so, its quite normal to have many "warm" (40s and some 50s) days in winter, with some "really warm" (50s and 60s) days too. Then it is also normal to have several days with single digit highs.

We're supposed to get 1-2" of snow today, too.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Are you new to the area?

If so, its quite normal to have many "warm" (40s and some 50s) days in winter, with some "really warm" (50s and 60s) days too. Then it is also normal to have several days with single digit highs.

We're supposed to get 1-2" of snow today, too.
Yes, I grew up in a nearby burb, was away, then came back. Been back for quite some time, but been buried level busy....did I forget how it was so darned SCHIZO weather-wise? But, I'd say it's even more so the last few years. Am I wrong?

Okay, so just found out I have to book outside immediately.....did I actually say I was looking forward to this? Maybe the snow will be enjoyable....it isn't sticking too much here, but still on the 40th floor and it's getting....diagonal....I'll let you know.

Thanks, Steve-O.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Snow is whipping out here too, not really sticking though, its a wet snow. Temps are definitely going down. I was outside earlier this morning and was fine, my last trip outside I was actually cold and had to button up my coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois