U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,794 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the possibility of moving near Carbondale if my fiancé accepts a place at SIU for a PhD. We are currently about 6 hours away from that area in a nice and safe (if overdeveloped) suburb. We've been living together for three years now in various rentals and have come to value many things in a home, including but not limited to the following:

- Safety
- Amenities (pool, gym, in-unit washer/dryer, etc.)
- Pet-friendliness (large dogs)
- Decent looking/not run down living facilities
- Guaranteed parking, possibly a garage (we each have cars, and mine is brand new)
- Affordability (around $1,000/month, but flexible)
- Running trails and lots of nature immediately outside
- A lawn, communal if necessary
- Quiet, both in the unit/house and the neighborhood at large
- Convenient to school/work/whatever we're doing

We are not particularly interested in night life etc., and would rather spend a little more and feel safe than cheap out for a not-so-good part of town. We have lived in an area with very frequent assaults and I am not willing to feel uncomfortable going outside alone again. I've done some very basic research into Carbondale and the crime rates appear to be above the national average and about 4x as high as the rates where we currently live. This is probably my biggest concern when it comes to moving. My fiancé doesn't want a long commute to school, but that is second to our being somewhere safe and desirable to us.

Additionally, if he takes the position, I will need to find a new job in our new area. I am an office manager and haven't done any looking for new jobs yet, but I would like to be somewhere that at least has some options. If there are areas where it's almost impossible to find work, that would be a definite problem.

Can anyone point me towards some good neighborhoods given our needs and desires, should we move to the Carbondale area?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 08:03 AM

219 posts, read 320,207 times
There is a fairly new apartment complex off of South Hughway 51 that has a pool. It is close to campus, as far as the name, I will try to locate it for you. Stay away from Lewis Park Apartments, older complex with a pool, but a lot of social problems in the complex due to the area. There are new apartments on Grand Ave, they look nice from the road, unsure about a pool. Your ideal location would be near South 51, Pleasant Hill Road and Grand Ave. all located close to campus. those locations will also get you close to Giant City Park, which will have your hiking, etc.

If you are not dead set on a complex, look at home rentals in Carterville. It would be approximately 10 miles from campus, but is a nice residential town.

Regarding employment, try to get on at SIU. Your options are limited here. Not a lot of options.

Yes, crime is Carbondale is high.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:32 PM

The apartment complex is "The Reserve at Saluki Pointe."

Off-campus Housing | Student Apartments in Carbondale, IL

Old 04-27-2015, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,794 times
Thanks a lot for the information! Now at least I have an idea of where to start looking. We're considering house rentals too but I really do prefer the particular amenities apartments tend to offer.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:04 PM

You are welcome. I'm local here, so I know a lot about the area. You won't find apartment complexes like you do in larger cities. The Reserve is as close as you will get. There are new ones going up called "Evolve." They are being built right on "the strip," which is convenient to campus, but there is not going to be good parking, no pool, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois