U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:30 AM

3,337 posts, read 4,931,533 times

Advertisements

The farms and corn fields are my favorite part of the Illinois landscape. especially just before and during the harvest. The pumpkin patches are awesome, too. Kids loved them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 03:08 AM

Location: somewhere in Illinois, like maybe Havana and/or Carbondale
7 posts, read 12,602 times
There are alot more Illinois State Parks than what is in Mason county. With alot more to offer. Mason county is a back water. Monticello, White Heath, Lick Skillet area, near the Sangamon river, west of Champaign, the land is more rolling due to the river, rather than being flat land. Somewhere along interstate 72 to facilitate commuting. Not sure about the I-74 corridor, except Mahomet is long been a bedroom community of Champaign. South of Champaign; Tuscola and the Amish lands, Tolono still retains its farm town atmosphetre, where as Savoy is now a suburb of "Chambana". I would not recommend north or east of Champaign. I would not recommend Danville, Springfield, Peoria or Bloomington-Normal. And definately not Havana!

Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 AM

16,940 posts, read 10,113,417 times
"Farmland" won't be cheap in central IL - not if it is flat without trees! I don't know that's actually what you want as it may average at $10,000 / acre and you're looking for 3-11 acres? Obviously, with trees will be cheaper but most land has been cleared for farming so your choices will be more limited - pastureland may be more to your liking.

Try this for a start:

Browse Illinois Land, Illinois Acreage, Illinois Property

Old 09-28-2015, 09:22 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,967,970 times
Pike County = Pittsfield. About 20 miles from Louisianna, MO. and the Mississippi River .
Adams County is Quincy and the Mississippi River.
Schuyler County is near Peoria and sandwiched between Monmouth and Canton
Marshall County, I believe is opposite of Lacon and Stark County. Lacon crosses the bridge and is in BOTH counties. Marshall and Stark are very near Peoria, too.

Do understand when one talks about the bottoms you may experience more flooding than you expect.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
"Farmland" won't be cheap in central IL - not if it is flat without trees! I don't know that's actually what you want as it may average at $10,000 / acre and you're looking for 3-11 acres? Obviously, with trees will be cheaper but most land has been cleared for farming so your choices will be more limited - pastureland may be more to your liking.

Try this for a start:

Browse Illinois Land, Illinois Acreage, Illinois Property

Old 09-28-2015, 09:51 AM

You are very ill-informed. Mason County is where the ONLY STATE FOREST in ILLINOIS in located. State Parks such as Anderson Lake and Banner Marsh are nearby as is a state museum. Portions of Mason and Fulton Counties form the largest protected inland US Fish & Wildlife refuge in America. It is situated on the Illinois River backwaters among forest, high cliffs, and tall rolling hills. The Dickson Mounds state museum is here, too.

The Illinois River is as adjunct of the Mississippi Flyway. It is possible to see the white pelican and some of the other 200000 species that come to rest and feed

What is wrong with you? Mason County is a farming and ranch county just like the other 101 counties in Illinois. The Illinois River is it IL and IA are the #1 and #2 producers of bean and corn grown for export in America. The Illinois River is the largest river in Illinois stretching well over 150 miles. It's widest point is one mile at Peoria Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortheos View Post
There are alot more Illinois State Parks than what is in Mason county. With alot more to offer. Mason county is a back water. Monticello, White Heath, Lick Skillet area, near the Sangamon river, west of Champaign, the land is more rolling due to the river, rather than being flat land. Somewhere along interstate 72 to facilitate commuting. Not sure about the I-74 corridor, except Mahomet is long been a bedroom community of Champaign. South of Champaign; Tuscola and the Amish lands, Tolono still retains its farm town atmosphetre, where as Savoy is now a suburb of "Chambana". I would not recommend north or east of Champaign. I would not recommend Danville, Springfield, Peoria or Bloomington-Normal. And definately not Havana!

Old 10-18-2015, 04:43 PM

Linicx, your original post specificly stated 'state parks', not state forest. Besides, there is Hidden Spings and Trail of Tears STATE FORESTS in Illinois, according to Google. People come on here to get opinions and subjective assessments, not regurgitated facts that can be found by anyone with basic research. 'Whats wrong with me'? I am not an arrogant know-it-all that has to put a post on damn near every thread in this forum. Maybe what's wrong with me is that I live in Havana.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You are very ill-informed. Mason County is where the ONLY STATE FOREST in ILLINOIS in located. State Parks such as Anderson Lake and Banner Marsh are nearby as is a state museum. Portions of Mason and Fulton Counties form the largest protected inland US Fish & Wildlife refuge in America. It is situated on the Illinois River backwaters among forest, high cliffs, and tall rolling hills. The Dickson Mounds state museum is here, too.

The Illinois River is as adjunct of the Mississippi Flyway. It is possible to see the white pelican and some of the other 200000 species that come to rest and feed

What is wrong with you? Mason County is a farming and ranch county just like the other 101 counties in Illinois. The Illinois River is it IL and IA are the #1 and #2 producers of bean and corn grown for export in America. The Illinois River is the largest river in Illinois stretching well over 150 miles. It's widest point is one mile at Peoria Lake.

Your post dated 8-1-15, read it. Wikipedia says there are 5 State forests in Illinois. Whats wrong with you? I know, you live in Havana!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:08 PM

Ok,Ok, after due reflection, I do realize that you are only trying to help people. The only reason I consider Mason Co. as a backwater is that nobody comes to Mason Co. for anything except to ride horses up at Sand Ridge. Or to get drunk as a sailor up at Goofy Ridge. Nobody shops locally execpt out of conveinence. Mason city drives to Lincoln, Manito drives to Pekin and folks south of Havana drive to Springfield to shop. The only reason anybody goes to Havana is to go to court, haul grain or go to the Hospital. And don't get me started on the Hospital. 1 grocery store, Alco closed , the Dollar store is small and rundown (the DG at Manito is nicer and larger), Farm and Home is nice but small, and of the 6 bars in town, only two serve draft beer and only 1 serves Guiness in any form. The Lawford is quaint and is active as a music venue, but the video store and the bowling alley are both for sale. The two places where there are the most vehicles parked in Havana are the Ford dealer and the riverfront park, and then, only on the weekend. It's 50 miles to Peoria, Pekin, Springfield, Lincoln, and McComb. So, we could start a new thread on whats wrong with Havana, as I could go on, or we could start a thread on whats wrong with you and with me but I think it's becuase we live in Havana.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the laugh, Mortheous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois