U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 03:55 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,719,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Only someone who hasn't had experience being on public assistance would claim a person has a child for the sole purpose of getting benefits. Actually, scratch that. It happens in the military quite often...
Your statement makes me think that maybe we should try stopping relief benefits to low income parents altogether? It might encourage contraception usage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM

375 posts, read 458,203 times
Right, East St Louis' hellish status is the result of multiple factors. The city saw the full share of labor and racial woes in the early 20th century. Then, industrial retooling post-WW2 and resultant job flight, and the LBJ 'War on Poverty' / dissolution of the black family, continuing white flight, and a negative feedback loop. Though I will probably be called a racist for pointing it out, black supermajorities in a community combined with widespread poverty equals massive dysfunction, with no path to recovery clear. There is an interesting discussion to be had here, I think, but City Journal is probably not the best medium for it.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 AM

1,043 posts, read 2,570,889 times
I had the same questions a long time ago and what answered a lot of them for me was to watch several YouTube videos about its history. It’s actually pretty fascinating. This is unrelated but I also loved watching the videos where people walk into abandoned buildings in St Louis and explore them. Talk about a super easy way to get yourself robbed or killed! But it’s fascinating to watch.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,235 times
One thing that's "interesting" (i.e. infuriating) is how National City and Sauget (formerly Monsanto, IL) separated from the city just to favor the large, polluting industrial corporations there and decimated the tax base.

https://beltmag.com/a-short-way-to-h...s-mean-profit/
https://www.stlmag.com/history/ghost...he-stockyards/

Good articles to start to get an idea of why things are the way they are.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:43 AM

2,273 posts, read 2,624,775 times
For those interested in the history and rise and fall of East. St. Louis there is an interesting documentary on youtube: 'The rise of an all American city: East St. Louis'.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 PM

451 posts, read 307,611 times
The metro river valley communities in St. Louis aren't doing great.

Alton and Roxana are losing pop. to St. Chuck and Edwardsville.

Granite City is holding on thanks to the reopening of the Mill.

Dupo remains strong.

E StL, Washington Park and Cahokia are not doing well. At all. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-28-2019 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Language.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:17 PM

13,807 posts, read 28,417,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
The metro river valley communities in St. Louis aren't doing great.

Alton and Roxana are losing pop. to St. Chuck and Edwardsville.

Granite City is holding on thanks to the reopening of the Mill.

Dupo remains strong.

E StL, Washington Park and Cahokia are not doing well. At all. [snip]
What's your take on Belleville, Fairview Heights, and Collinsville?

I was in the area last year, and liked all of those^. Granite City doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-28-2019 at 11:01 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 12:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,900,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post

I was in the area last year, and liked all of those^. Granite City doesn't make any sense to me.
To jump in, I'm less familiar with Collinsville than the other two, but overall Belleville and Fairview are fine. For decades Belleville has been suffering from the fact that it appears not all of the city can be nice at the same time, which is still true today. I'd say part of this stems from the city being long and narrow, so you can have a lot of sections that are quite far apart from each other. Right now there's some sketchy pockets, especially on the West End, but you'll still have pockets that are fine and even sections with large grand old homes. Downtown Belleville is going through a rebirth in comparison to previous decades.

As for Fairview, it primarily exists to be the big box retail hub, and that's what it still is. Not much else to say about it. Both it and Belleville are going to have older homes in comparison to places like O'Fallon and Shiloh where a lot of the new construction, not to mention quite a bit of wealth, are moving to.

Collinsville is primarily following in the same vein as Belleville far as I'm aware, but it's losing money to places like Edwardsville.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:14 PM

672 posts, read 651,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post

Belleville has slowly declined on the west end, although the east end is still doing alright. Downtown has really improved over the past decade. The relocation of St. Elizabeth Hospital was a sting though.

Fairview is essentially an older suburb that is known as a shopping mecca. IL 159 is probably the largest retail strip south of Chicago, and one of the largest in the StL area. We are seeing development moving east towards Green Mount Rd, but Fairview is still the busiest area in the Metro East. Most new housing is now being built in O'Fallon and Shiloh. The I-64 corridor is doing good.

Collinsville used to be a mining town, but is largely a working/middle class town nowadays. With a 10 minute commute to Stl. I've always liked Collinsville. It sits on 255 and 70. It has StL's only horse track, Cahokia Mounds...and the Ketchup bottle! Real estate is a great value there. I've always dreamed of owning one of those blufftop homes that overlook StL! The area by Cahokia Mounds is an immigrant community, and more so resembles Fairmont.

Granite City is an interesting place, somewhat similar to Collinsville and Belleville. It's always been a blue collar manufacturing town, and remains so today. The south end of town is rough, but most of GC is doing fine. It doesn't have a large retail base. It has a wide array of housing from working-class to new subdivisions. It's biggest draws are an easy commute to Stl and a wealth of manufacturing/shipping jobs. It's always been blessed with the best transportation facilities in the area. It's where the railroads, shipping canal, and freeways meet and that's a big draw for those businesses. The Chain-of-Rocks Bridge and Horseshoe Lake are beautiful places to cycle/walk.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:07 AM

3,154 posts, read 1,671,301 times
I have to wonder what Edward Longshanks' opinion would be of "Why is East St. Louis in such bad shape?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81K38VOyVL8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois