Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:23 PM

41 posts, read 44,575 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

My 10-month experience is that it is more overcast than rainy. Although, it rained a lot this winter. The weather is mild, and the scenery is beautiful. It just does not feel like it will ever be home to me. I am in Kitsap County by the way not Seattle. This does not mean that I want to go back to Illinois though. I don't right now.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-06-2016 at 12:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,985,635 times
I fled to Austin , Texas

No state income tax
No sales tax on groceries
Cheaper gas
Bought a house for 50k less
Warmer weather for winter
More outdoor activities
Economy is a lot better
More jobs
People here are happy

Old 06-21-2016, 08:10 AM

408 posts, read 997,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
What are the differences between your new home and Illinois? Do you like it better or no?
Tokyo, Japan: I got a job at a local university.

Differences (from a Chicago perspective) higher cost of living, less crime, more humid spring/summer weather, skinnier/more fashionable people, less diversity in general, better public transportation, better but more expensive shopping options.

I like Tokyo a lot; but sometimes I miss Chicago/Illinois, and sometimes not.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:58 AM

13 posts, read 20,692 times
Trying to flee to Miami, LA, San Diego or NYC....somewhere warm Honestly as much as I like to complain about Chicago, trying to move and seeing how good I had it here really made me appreciate it a lot more. Its a good balance of being an affordable, relatively safe city (if you stay away from the bad areas), but at the same time having a lot to do. Only thing is I HATE is the weather, so moving somewhere warm is a huge reason why I want to leave.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:55 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
I didn't flee Illinois. My Professional career took me to Raleigh. Lower property taxes, housing costs less, generally, but you aren't swapping a $600k house for a $200K house usually. While location and schools do determine real estate costs, schools aren't funded by local property taxes and are run by the county. So, imagine that North Chicago and Deerfield had the same teacher pay administered by the same district. It generally works out pretty well; most of the problems with the district seem to stem from gaining new students faster than they can build schools, and parents that are educated and invested in their children's future buy homes in neighborhoods of like minded people and those schools perform correspondingly well. The area is very safe. The weather I could take or leave, but that's everywhere.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 AM

903 posts, read 664,395 times
Moved to Wisconsin 30 years ago from Chicago. At the time we paid cash for our house, so no mortgage, lower crime rates, we never locked our doors and left the keys in the cars all the time. Private school tuition was $150 a year, we were paying $1600 a year. No traffic and the kids could bike to town to swim or visit friends. We were close enough that we could go home and visit all the time. The weather wasn't much different.
30 years later we still love living here. It isn't quite as safe, we do lock doors now but never feel unsafe. Out grand kids are here and they still have the freedom to bike or play outside. Walk home from school or practice.
We daytrip to Madison, Milwaukee or to visit family in Mchenry County. Glad we came, glad we stayed.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:30 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Moved to Wisconsin 30 years ago from Chicago. At the time we paid cash for our house, so no mortgage, lower crime rates, we never locked our doors and left the keys in the cars all the time. Private school tuition was $150 a year, we were paying $1600 a year. No traffic and the kids could bike to town to swim or visit friends. We were close enough that we could go home and visit all the time. The weather wasn't much different.
30 years later we still love living here. It isn't quite as safe, we do lock doors now but never feel unsafe. Out grand kids are here and they still have the freedom to bike or play outside. Walk home from school or practice.
We daytrip to Madison, Milwaukee or to visit family in Mchenry County. Glad we came, glad we stayed.
I worked in Lake Geneva, and we lived in McHenry. We loved Wisconsin and considered moving up there but that's another high tax state, and it turned us off to it.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,089,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4122 View Post
What are the differences between your new home and Illinois? Do you like it better or no?
I briefly lived in Denver, but I'm back! I really want to get out again. I want to head to the West Coast. The COL is worth it IMO.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 PM

685 posts, read 766,977 times
I once moved from Illinois to Missouri. The St. Louis area in particular. Moving from Southern Illinois wasn't a significant change.

Of course, Downstate is entirely different than Chicagoland. The Downstate COL is still reasonable.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,553 times
Moved from western IL to Ramona, CA (semi-rural town of 40,000 northeast of San Diego) in August 2015. I do miss the thunderstorms, rain, and green grass and of course family. Outside of that, I am happy to be in California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.