Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Also, Kenosha has Metra service to Waukegan and all the way to downtown Chicago!! I'm not sure you'd be within distance of the station when you get off in Waukegan, so I really wasn't suggesting it as a commuting option (of course it could be), but simply pointing out that if you choose Kenosha, you can get downtown Chicago (and other parts of the city) for events, shopping, cultural stuff, etc. and you have great options other than driving.

Are you at the Bur Wood Dr. facility in Waukegan or the Sheridan Road facility in North Chicago (right next to Waukegan) or somewhere else?
Bur Wood Dr.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 AM

597 posts, read 666,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimetraveller View Post
Bur Wood Dr.!
Yeah, it's 5-5.5 miles from the Waukegan Metra station to Abbott on Bur Wood Drive, so probably not a great commuting option unless they have a shuttle.

But, again, I just brought up Metra to underscore the fact that living in Kenosha area, you would have train service, if you need it, straight to downtown Chicago (and obviously all the stops on the way).

Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie seem like seem like great choice for where you're working.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:28 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Yeah, it's 5-5.5 miles from the Waukegan Metra station to Abbott on Bur Wood Drive, so probably not a great commuting option unless they have a shuttle.

But, again, I just brought up Metra to underscore the fact that living in Kenosha area, you would have train service, if you need it, straight to downtown Chicago (and obviously all the stops on the way).

Kenosha/Pleasant Prairie seem like seem like great choice for where you're working.
It is nice that Kenosha has METRA, but keep in mind that the Metra runs on that line that go all the way to Kenosha are far less in frequency than the ones that terminate in Waukegan (coming from Chicago & vice versa). It is also a pretty lengthy trip with numerous stops along the way. Sturtevant, WI (just west of Racine, WI) also has Amtrak service to Chicago (far speedier, but more expensive).

Old 01-30-2017, 03:42 PM

170 posts, read 571,244 times
My dad commuted from Kenosha to Waukegan when we lived there. I guess it was due to taxes.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabeacon View Post
My dad commuted from Kenosha to Waukegan when we lived there. I guess it was due to taxes.
Within the scheme of Chicagoland commutes in the outskirts it's actually a very reasonable one. Downtown Kenosha (WI) to downtown Waukegan (IL) is only about 16 miles via local roads & the traffic is not brutal like you get going from the city of Chicago up to the northern suburbs.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:11 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
If I was working in northern Lake Co I would also opt for living in Wisconsin due to Illinois inability to not tax people out of their homes and run a solvent govt.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 617,955 times
Wisconsin actually has high property tax. It has the fifth highest average property tax amount of any state. The average tax rate for Kenosha county is 2.3%.
Sales tax in Wisconsin is lower. Income tax is more complicated because Wisconsin has a progressive tax vs Illinois's flat tax. Overall, Wisconsin is in better shape financially than Illinois.

Traffic between Waukegan and Kenosha is not that bad. I-94 is still under construction for the tenth year it seems like. If you need to fly, you have a choice between MKE and ORD.
There has been quite a bit a development in Pleasant Prairie/Kenosha. The Amazon warehouse has brought other companies to the area.

Old 02-03-2017, 04:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesiss23 View Post
Wisconsin actually has high property tax. It has the fifth highest average property tax amount of any state. The average tax rate for Kenosha county is 2.3%.
Sales tax in Wisconsin is lower. Income tax is more complicated because Wisconsin has a progressive tax vs Illinois's flat tax. Overall, Wisconsin is in better shape financially than Illinois.

Traffic between Waukegan and Kenosha is not that bad. I-94 is still under construction for the tenth year it seems like. If you need to fly, you have a choice between MKE and ORD.
There has been quite a bit a development in Pleasant Prairie/Kenosha. The Amazon warehouse has brought other companies to the area.
2.3% is lower than most of Illinois counties especially Lake and McHenry.

Compare your property tax rate (database) - Chicago Tribune

Old 05-24-2017, 12:26 AM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
It is nice that Kenosha has METRA, but keep in mind that the Metra runs on that line that go all the way to Kenosha are far less in frequency than the ones that terminate in Waukegan (coming from Chicago & vice versa). It is also a pretty lengthy trip with numerous stops along the way. Sturtevant, WI (just west of Racine, WI) also has Amtrak service to Chicago (far speedier, but more expensive).
Not to forget if you take Amtrak, MUCH fewer stops vs. Metra. The only stops on Amtrak Hiawatha trains between downtown Milwaukee and downtown Chicago are Milwaukee Mitchell Airport, Sturtevant, and Glenview. You'd be out of luck for taking that train, if you wanted a stop anywhere near Waukegan/North Chicago for Abbott.

I love the idea of living in Kenosha, and seeing if Abbott offered a shuttle from the Metra train to the facility you'll work at. Like repping_the_847 said, DO STUDY the schedule before you take Metra. And become aware of those few train times on the Union Pacific-North line, that go past Waukegan and serve the stops north of there to Kenosha. I will WARN that on weekends(and most especially Sundays/holidays), that's where you'll see the fewest trains going all the way north to/from Kenosha.

Anyway, here's a pdf link to the Metra schedule for this line, in case the OP wants to look it over: https://metrarail.com/sites/default/...tt_proof_1.pdf

And just for good measure, the Amtrak Hiawatha schedule(Chicago-Milwaukee, and vice versa):
https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/192/381...ule-101516.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois