U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2016, 10:07 PM

111 posts, read 167,195 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am moving from out of state to Illinois and would like to know what paperwork I need to have with me.
I am confused from what I have read, seems Illinois has the functions of the DMV "separated". The written exam is at the DMV and there is a Driver Services facility or Office of the Secretary of State?
I am relocating to the Collinsville area and on Google I see the following:
Granite City DMV, Driver Services Facility in Edwardsville and Collinsville License Service.

Also from this website "org", I just see these five locations within Madison County:
Collinsville Illinois SOS Office Locations & Hours | DMV.org
Maryville, Illinois 62062 DMV Office Locations | local.dmv.org
1. East St. Louis Facility
2. Edwardsville Sec. of State Facility
3. Granite City
4. Belleville Sec. Of State Facility
5. Bethalto Sec. Of State Facility

I was looking on the website https://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/new-to-illinois.php:
mentioning you need to do the following within this timeframe.
Driver License 90 days:
Car Registration, 30 days:
"When most people think about motor vehicle and driver services they often think about the DMV. In Illinois, however, it is the Office of the Secretary of State (SOS) that administers driver and vehicle services within the state."

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 01:58 AM

157 posts, read 119,709 times
Don't rely on any information on those DMV websites. The only official website is the Illinois SOS website:

The Official Website for the Illinois Secretary of State

You are correct in that you have 30 days to update vehicle registration and 90 days to update your driver license to an Illinois address.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:24 AM

Caglee,
Do you know what the vehicle registration entails-Is it just paperwork? Or is there an actual vehicle inspection by an official?
I am assuming you would also need a physical address by then.
https://www.ilsos.gov/facilityfinder/facility
From the Link, I see an office in Edwardsville and Belleville and I don't see an office in Collinsville.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,857,786 times
Vehicle registration is paperwork and money though cars need to be taken to an emissions testing station for an inspection every 2 years though when I moved back here I didn't have to do so immediately but my car was only 9 months old.
You also need to pay for an Illinois title.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:23 AM

28,461 posts, read 76,220,082 times
Default No such thing as "DMV" in ILLINOIS!!!!

The private firms that try to compile things nationally get the info scrambled. Do not waste your time with any site that pretends to offer DMV info for Illinois!

The only site that has official info about drivers licenses, titles, registration / plates is the site run Illinois Secretary of State is cyberdriveilllinois.com -- The Official Website for the Illinois Secretary of State

The various physical offices will offer drivers services and vehicle services. Illinois does not do safety inspections. If your car got you there they are OK, though if you do need a road test to renew your license you need to make sure seat belts are safe and all the blinkers work.

The Illinois EPA is phasing out state runemissions tests, the few cars that need such tests just get plugged into OBDC and stations are closing and regular auto shops will handle compliance -- http://m.theintelligencer.com/mobile...9484ad674.html

Like most things in Illinois there are too many state employees with bad attitudes and they are not going to win any awards for speed or efficiency but the system is relatively easy to understand once you see that each "function" has its own "station". It like a bad "cafeteria food court" where the various "soup Nazi" type state employees enforce their ridiculously narrow task -- "eye test here" "rules of road test" "license fee cashier 11A" "registration fee cashier 22F" "no gum chewing" "no license for you six weeks"...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-02-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 12:40 AM

Caglee, Chet,
Thanks for the links.
What happens if you take the written exam and fail? You have 90 days - Can you take it more than once in that timeframe?

Old 11-03-2016, 07:32 AM

9,893 posts, read 14,857,786 times
It isn't that hard. As long as you can identify street signs and know basic driving concepts you should get a passing grade at least. I didn't even know I needed to take it when I moved back here and went to the SOS and got a perfect score.

Look at all the idiots they give drivers licenses to.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:12 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,063,213 times
Goto Motorist Publications/Forms, .look at Rules of the Road and Rules of the Road Review Course Workbook. Pay attention to identifying signs, surprisingly it trips up a substantial number.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:40 PM

Hi BOBNCHI,
Rules of the Road/Traffic Safety
If I read all the manuals, in the link above should I be okay with the exam? How many questions were there? Are there examples of the street sign portion, that you know floating around the net.
I am looking at some residencies at this time.
Thanks

Old 11-07-2016, 04:26 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,063,213 times
Yes. All the street signs are on the web, use google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois