Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 12:24 AM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times

Advertisements

I don't mean so much with the Presidential vote, which takes Chicago into account, but I mean the legislature. (We got Minnesota to have Republicans control both houses and that's been a blue state for a long while (even was the only state that didn't go for Reagan in 1980.) )

Madigan no longer has a supermajority in the state House. A few more wins in the House and the majority could switch to Republicans in the House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 12:49 AM

197 posts, read 235,510 times
Most of the Chicago collar counties are going blue as Chicago democrats move out of the city and bring their voting habits with them. The rest of the state will continue to slide blue as normal hard working people continue to migrate to other states as well. However, I never thought Rauner would ever have a shot at winning so maybe there's hope?

Old 01-01-2017, 06:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
No. The Republicans citizens are fleeing the state.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:44 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
The problem with many Illinois Republicans (and there are plenty in the state) is that they are mostly no different than many conservative Midwestern Republicans who want to take away or alter civil liberties as well as remain fiscally conservative. Part of the reason Rauner won against Brady was that he was a less socially conservative individual. If IL republicans were 1) more organized 2) would distance themselves from their mostly extreme socially conservative base and 3) back a candidate that's worth anything, they might have a chance. Until they stop appealing to their *socially* conservative base, they aren't going to make much headway against Chicago-area Democrats, especially in a state with such a large metropolitan area with a strongly Democrat-leaning core.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:02 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default The sad fact is that money wins, but not how you think ...

... the pattern of Illinois politicians rewarding those who support them with do-nothing jobs, lifetime pensions, and unsustainable generous benefits has been key to winning office. Politicians that have an (R) after their name or a (D) have used the same tactic. The path from heading up agencies notorious for having armies of "workers" that have less skills than a service-animal -- "verify paperwork at station B-3, take eye test at station C-6, take written test at station D-11, wait for photo at station E-4..." and for this they'll get 75% of their salary plus guaranteed 3% annual increases for as long as they draw breath!

Until the state workforce has the same "you can fired anytime and you gotta support your retirement from a self managed 401k" as normal workers reform will be illusory.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 AM

1,368 posts, read 3,216,321 times
I don't know if Illinois will ever go red before King Madigan dies. The gerrymandering that man can do is amazing and his control of the courts is unchallenged. There will be a short period of about 3 months when the King dies that Illinois may change. It doesn't have to go "red" to save itself but the Democrats need to make the Labor unions realize that it is 2017, not 1967. They need to pay for their retirement like everyone else. If the daughter is his successor, nothing will change and Illinos will have another 40 years of Madigan rule.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
King Madison, Prince Cullerton and don't forget Princess Lisa all have to go!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:04 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
I don't see how anyone with the name Madigan wins a Governor's race in Illinois, but I could very well be wrong. I hope I'm not. Her, Cullerton, and Madigan himself are awful to the core.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
I'm less than 10 years from retiring and would like to move back to IL but it's just not going to happen. I have too many assets and don't want to get hosed out of them.

So good luck. I will one day pull my relatives assets out of state upon inheritance and not look back.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:26 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,168,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm less than 10 years from retiring and would like to move back to IL but it's just not going to happen. I have too many assets and don't want to get hosed out of them.

So good luck. I will one day pull my relatives assets out of state upon inheritance and not look back.
What assets do you have that you'll get hosed out of them? I'm genuinely curious.

Illinois does not have the taxing power of the federal government. Unless they're all income producing assets I don't know of any reason you'd be taxed? If they are income producing assets, you'll get taxed at 3.75 percent. Retirement income is not taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois