Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GivMeABreak View Post
I was born in Kankakee County, moved away a few times and am back again, probably for life. One must not confuse the County of Kankakee with the City of Kankakee. The County takes on a bad rap for the City. The most interesting thing about Kankakee County is it's "Politics as Usual" attitudes of it's residents. You are either a Democrat or a Republican and follow along that party line. If you have a mind or conscience of your own, you are shunned in this County. Nothing ever changes. Several bad politicians have come from this County, George Ryan being the latest and most residents still see these 'bad politicians' as heroes ! Sad. Change is unforeseeable.
I live in south suburban cook and have been looking in Kankakee county (bourbonnais)for a new house. I have been trying to learn about the area for a year now, with a lot of my neighbors moving down there, I get some feed back. But, do you see the change coming for the good. I hear it's suppose to be the new Orland when all is done. Do you also know anything about the schools. Thanks for any info you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 AM

445 posts, read 1,430,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I live in Mason County, a farming county. The most interesting business is the Winery in Manto, but on the other hand the Oktoberfest in Havana is a lot of fun. If you like cigars, the Cigar Festival is the place to be.

On the serious side, Havana, the seat of Mason County, is the southern entry point of the Illinois River Road National Scenic Byway and the Illinois River Country Nature Trail. The most exciting part about the area as a whole, is the Emiquon Preserve in neighboring Fulton County. It is the largest wetlands reclaimation project in the nation outside of the Fllorida Everglades. Currently 6.000 acres in size, when it is finished the total size of projet, that includes both counties, will be 14.000 or more acres.
As a former Mason County resident (east of Teheran and west of Luther) it is wonderful to hear about the Emiquon reclamation project. You also brought back memories of the Spoon River Drive each fall.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:50 PM

526 posts, read 1,054,147 times
Cook County (CROOK COUNTY)
gotta say its the best because of our HONEST POLITICIANS AND CITY OFFICIALS lol yea right

Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 AM

265 posts, read 870,970 times
Born in Idaho, raised in Cook County. Then moved to Will County, off to CT and MA before returning to Will County. Now retired on the Ogle Lee County line. Between Oregon and Dixon . Beautiful Rock River country and the home of Ronald Reagon in Dixon. Definitely colder than Chicago in the winter and hotter than Chicago in the summer.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,119,245 times
I was born and raised in Peoria. Left when I was old enough to know better to OK and SW MO. When I had enough southern hospitality I came home to stay.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 AM

328 posts, read 724,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GivMeABreak View Post
I was born in Kankakee County, moved away a few times and am back again, probably for life. One must not confuse the County of Kankakee with the City of Kankakee. The County takes on a bad rap for the City. The most interesting thing about Kankakee County is it's "Politics as Usual" attitudes of it's residents. You are either a Democrat or a Republican and follow along that party line. If you have a mind or conscience of your own, you are shunned in this County. Nothing ever changes. Several bad politicians have come from this County, George Ryan being the latest and most residents still see these 'bad politicians' as heroes ! Sad. Change is unforeseeable.
I was born in Kankakee County and still but planning on moving to Las Vegas for warn weather. Where have you moved to and what keeps you coming back?

Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 AM

81 posts, read 326,427 times
Default Cook & Franklin

Born and raised in Crook, I mean Cook County (I believe it's the highest in the nation or maybe in 2nd running). Like it's diversity but dislike the segregated areas. Much to do, but most overpriced.

Currently residing in Franklin County, like the slow pace and no traffic, HATE that racism is the "norm" and still acceptable. I was happy here (just moved here this past summer) until my children shared some interesting stories about their middle and high schools, students and teachers alike. Plus my experience or two have shed some light on the quality of some (not all) teachers. Just within the last month, my opinion of where we live has made a complete 360. We will be leaving Franklin really soon.

Last edited by New2SouthernIL; 01-19-2009 at 02:03 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,612,203 times
We live in western Kane County. As a previous poster mentioned, the main towns along the Fox River are quite scenic. We also have a lot of farmland, some nice country roads, some great forest preserves. The riverboat is in Aurora for those who want to gamble. Also, downtown Aurora has the historic Paramount Theater. The Aurora Municipal Airport is located here in Sugar Grove. It is one of the busiest small airports around! Also, this coming August, Sugar Grove will be the host community for the international Solheim cup golf tournament. (The Women's version of the Ryder Cup).

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,159,886 times
I attend college in the city of DeKalb in DeKalb County (gee, what university could that be?).

*DeKalb is the hometown of supermodel Cindy Crawford.
*Barbed wire was invented in DeKalb
*Roads are in terrible condition (and lord save us when it snows)

Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,027,692 times
Williamson,but right on the four corner lines of Johnson,Saline and Pope counties.....Big hills,farm bottoms,lakes,creeks,beautiful views,some decent timber left,good hunting,fishing,hiking and horseback/motorcycle riding area.Easy going way of life here.

Our biz is in Saline, but when you go out the door and walk a few feet you are in Williamson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois