Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:18 PM

29 posts, read 105,913 times

Advertisements

I've lived all but about a year of my life in the northern panhandle of Ford County, Illinois. Don't worry, I'm in my early twenties so that isn't saying much.

Ford County was the last county of Illinois to be formed, perhaps because it has no major rivers and at the time of settlement, about 10 trees. Settlers liked wooded areas with rivers. It is long, thin, and L-shaped. It also has some of the best farmland in the state. Farms here are very large compared to most of the rest of the state-- average farm size is 700 acres. The backbone of the economy is agricultural. The population of Ford County has stayed more or less steady since 1910, while the US population has tripled. Ford County, along with Iroquois County, is one of the most Republican counties in the state. Republicans make up at least 70% of residents. If you're not a Republican you keep quiet (except in my hometown, which is pretty different from most of Central Illinois.)

Ford County has one wind farm on it already, and a second one is due to be built next summer in the northern panhandle where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:34 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,215,916 times
Born/raised in Quincy, IL. College in Quad Cities/Champaign, then in Chicago for the past 7 years (ignoring 1 pesky year in Tampa)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:03 AM

4 posts, read 12,399 times
I live in cook county and the most amazing thing is that we have the highest sales tax in the nation! Wow we are so lucky ; )

Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 AM

288 posts, read 848,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I live in Mason County, a farming county. The most exciting part about the area as a whole, is the Emiquon Preserve in neighboring Fulton County. It is the largest wetlands reclaimation project in the nation outside of the Fllorida Everglades. Currently 6.000 acres in size, when it is finished the total size of projet, that includes both counties, will be 14.000 or more acres.
Great idea for a discussion; it's nice to find out what the locals like about their counties. I look forward to seeing that wetland preserve when it's done! (I kinda wish the Cook County folks would save their complaining for a separate thread, though. Cook County gets plenty of attention already, let's hear it from the rest of Illinois for once.)

Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,016,399 times
I live in Whiteside County. We have the Missippi River on the west side, and Chicago a few hrs drive to the east. In Fulton we have the windmill that is FREE to tour, check out the web site City of Fulton Illinois - De Immigrant Windmill .Also Heritage canyon is a great place to check out.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:13 PM

281 posts, read 924,610 times
I live in Lake County. It's not named for Lake Michigan, but for all the small Ice Age lakes that dot the area. It is very pretty and scenic with some lovely small towns. It has a very rural feel with big lots, huge old trees, old Victorian farmhouses, yet it is still commuting distance to Chicago. The county Forest Preserves are suberb, immaculately groomed and maintained with nice hiking and bike trails and several fenced open-run dog areas. We have a very honest and efficient county government that takes good care of services and keeps taxes reasonable. Police, fire and library services are excellent. There is plenty of shopping from high-end (Market Square in Lake Forest) to outlets (Gurnee Mills)--and everything in between--and all kinds of restaurants: sushi, Indian, Chinese, popular chains. There is high quality entertainment at the restored Genesee Theater in downtown Waukegan. We have several boat marinas on Lake Michigan and a superb state beach in Zion. We have Great America, the Cuneo mansion and Lamb's Farm.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:03 PM

148 posts, read 621,619 times
Default Peoria County

I live in Peoria County -

Interesting things -

Wildlife Praire Park - Open air wildlife center dedicated to the native plants & animals of Illinois.

Grandview Drive - Stunningly beautiful views of the Illinois river valley (& some nice houses too). With central Illinois so flat, it always seems odd to be able to look down on something from elevation.

The Victorian Mansions on High Street & Moss Ave area in Peoria. Along with that, Burr Oak park on High Street centered around a 500 year old Oak Tree (that thing is HUGE!)

The warehouse district south of downtown in Peoria. Interesting turn of the century industrial architecture (but not the most stellar area). Too bad many of those places are sitting empty & slowly crumbling.

Rhodell's Brewpub - A microbrewery where you can actually brew your own beer.

Festivals on Peoria's Riverfront - My favorites are Octoberfest & Erinfest.

Sports - Bradley Basketball games, Peoria Chiefs and Rivermen games. It's nice that Peoria can support both a minor league baseball and hockey team (with pretty good facilities)

Rock Island Trial - 26 mile Bike/walking trail on converted railroad bed.

Bowhunting for Asian carp - There's an operation (out of Bartonville I think) that takes people on chartered bow hunting trips for Silver carp, letting hunters/fishermen shoot the carp as they leap in the air. For anyone not familiar with silver carp, it's an invasive species of fish (originally from SE Asia) infesting the Illinois River (& much of the Mississippi watershed) that can grow up to 60 lbs. They are startled by the sounds of boat motors and will often leap right out of the water when they hear one. They're funny to see, until you're in a boat and one leaps straight at your head....

The Federal AG Lab - Nothing particularly interesting about it other than history. It was the location where it was discovered how to mass produce pencillian. I believe all strains of mold used to make pencillian today are decended from a mold growing on a cantelope in a Peoria grocery store.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,480,676 times
I've been away for many years but go back and visit often.

I was a travelin Preacher's kid so lived in many towns in Illinois.

I don't remember all the county names so I'll list most of the towns

Pontiac
Lovington
Rankin
Jacksonville
Bearstown
Bartonville
Lacon
Durand
Rockford.

Each and every one of these places had it's own natural beauty. I saw someone mentioning Wildlife Prairie Park. I lived in Bartonville when this was being built. Glad to see it doing well.

Illinois has such diverse scenery and if wasn't for the winters, I'm sure I could get my husband to move back there with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois