U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2017, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me pros and cons of living in Sterling, Rock Falls, and Morrision?
Schools are a big concern. I have 3 kids 14, 7 and 2. Any information on these areas will be great. Thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 12:33 PM

28,460 posts, read 81,463,351 times
I've driven through those towns many times, usually on the way to Galena or NE Iowa. They are very much "agricultural / rural" with all the pluses and minuses that go along with an area that is seeing big declines in the number of people needed to produce vital crops like corn and soy. Sterling is probably the most developed, they do have a distribution center for Wal~Mart as well as a few industrial firms like Sterling Steel that makes wire cables and Raynor that makes garage doors. Rock Falls is kind of a "twin city" to Sterling and is perhaps more residential as well as smaller.

Morrison in a little to the west and probably is a bit more charming / old fashioned. It seems like the traffic on Rt 30 to Galena / DuBuque fosters some businesses for travelers.

I think there are a few smaller clinics / hospitals in the towns but for more serious things people probably do travel into Chicago or Iowa City.

Interestingly each town does have its own high school and the performance as well as demographics do vary more than I would have thought -- https://iirc.niu.edu/classic/School....260001&level=S
https://iirc.niu.edu/classic/School....260014&level=S
https://iirc.niu.edu/classic/Distric...301017&level=D

Hope this helps!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:50 AM

1,874 posts, read 752,920 times
Go back while you still can

Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 PM

1,081 posts, read 480,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Go back while you still can
My thoughts too...

I lived in Sterling & Rockfalls for 5 years back in the 80's & 90's. The area was dying then. I still have extended family in that area. I would not recommend moving there.

Morrison died in the late 70's / early 80's. You only go there to die (quite literally).

The entire area along US30 from Clinton, Ia to Sterling, IL, then on up IL2 to Rockford, is economically depressed. If you are moving there to marry a rich person or you have a guaranteed income, the cost of living isn't bad. However, schools, services (hospital care), etc... are sub par.

The people are nice. The pace is "rural" meaning that things move slower than the city. (Trying to come up with good things.)

If you have a specific "Has to have..." list, I can probably recommend other areas either in Illinois or the Midwest.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,671 times
Thanks everyone! If we move it will be due to my husband taking a job offer.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM

1,081 posts, read 480,032 times
Dixon may be a better option than Sterling/Rock Falls. However, I see Morrison's school rating is rated higher than Sterling, Rock Falls, or Dixon. Sterling and Dixon both have an arrangement with Sauk Valley College (half-way between the two cities) that the high school kids can take classes there.

Most of my recent experience is with the elderly and health care. If you go to the hospital in Sterling as a senior, you end up in the recovery home in Morrison. It's where they send you to die. Most people I know avoid the local hospitals. Some drive as far as LaCrosse, Wi for decent care. As someone else said, Iowa City or Barrington, IL (Chicago) are the closest best hospitals. Avoid the Clinton Ia hospitals and clinics.

One thing I considered heavily when I was looking to move is, "where do I want my kids to put down roots?" If this is a hop-and-a-skip to the next place, I would say "Go for it." However, I would not recommend it as a place you want your kids to grow into adulthood. You would be limiting their potential.

Illinois was a hop-and-a-skip for my youngest two. The youngest never made friends here because she was always looking back fondly at Illinois and telling everyone how much better it is (it's not... she's was too young to understand economics.) The next youngest loves it in Wisconsin and couldn't imagine ever leaving here. She has friends and things to do (including a vibrant teen employment market.) When I reach retirement, where I am at now has excellent health care. I won't have to leave the kids and their families behind to move closer to good healthcare. The moral here is that once your kids get rooted, make sure it's somewhere they can thrive and you can stay for a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois