Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM

246 posts, read 349,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Thanks. I did a search, didn't see any recent info on it.

I'd be working on the west side of town, near the community college. From what I see, that area is pretty good....but honestly...I'm seriously considering just moving out of state completely. I really am just kind of sick of this state as a whole.

223 current warrants in the area..... Stateline Area Crime Stoppers

Pretty rough compared to when i hung out there in the 80's... CRIME BEAT Archives - Freeport News Network

Some crime data............. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2019 at 01:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I did a search, didn't see any recent info on it.

I'd be working on the west side of town, near the community college. From what I see, that area is pretty good....but honestly...I'm seriously considering just moving out of state completely. I really am just kind of sick of this state as a whole.

What line of work are you in???

Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
What line of work are you in???
I'd rather not say. Sorry...don't mean to be rude.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:44 PM

For what it's worth, I withdrew my name from consideration for the job. I'm leaving Illinois as soon as I can. I'm just sick of this place.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:09 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
For what it's worth, I withdrew my name from consideration for the job. I'm leaving Illinois as soon as I can. I'm just sick of this place.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:

I can't blame ya. I've been gone 20 years now and only have visited a few times. Every time it seems to get worse.....

Old 02-19-2019, 09:57 AM

28 posts, read 29,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Oh yes lets encourage more people to stay in Illinois with that kind of hospitality.
If you think population loss is sustainable you will be in for a rude awakening. (Ask Detroit, Gary, St Louis or any other city that's lost 50% of their population how bad population loss is)

Old 02-19-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Don't plan to. Believe me.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:13 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundcakesss View Post
Oh yes lets encourage more people to stay in Illinois with that kind of hospitality.
If you think population loss is sustainable you will be in for a rude awakening. (Ask Detroit, Gary, St Louis or any other city that's lost 50% of their population how bad population loss is)
Doesn't matter where you live. If someone started bashing your state, would you be hospitable?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:03 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter where you live. If someone started bashing your state, would you be hospitable?
If their reasoning was valid, I would be sympathetic, and tell them they'll be missed, which they will be. Illinois is going to be very sorry people are leaving at the current rate, expect to lose two congressional seats in the 2020 census. If Gov. Pritzker cannot resolve many of the reasons people are leaving, it's only going to get worse. Obviously, he can't do anything about the weather, but he can make one heck of a dent in crime, economic disparity, the highly regressive tax system that places WAY too much reliance on property taxes (which hurts real estate values), and government inefficiencies (7000 taxing districts with overlap and redundancies).

I personally don't know if raising the minimum wage to $15 will help or hurt the state in the long run, but it's worth trying, I guess - border cities like Freeport may lose jobs, I just don't know. IMHO, the Dem's need to back off more restrictive gun control for non-criminals and instead punish those that use guns to commit crimes. Rauner was no prize, but he was vilified beyond what he deserved, a lot of his ideas were rejected for political reasons and will have to be adopted if the state sinks much deeper. FWIW, the income tax needs to be made progressive and in order to dig our way out of this, needs to be expanded to include retirement income beyond some reasonable exemption (Kentucky and Georgia exclude the first 40 or 50 thousand, I believe). The income tax structure needs to start at about four percent at the bottom and go to ten percent at the top, whatever allows for a deep cut in residential property taxes, I'd cap property taxes at 1% of actual value with very few other exemptions, and put the tax appeal attorneys (Madigan, Burke, etc.) out of business. His first run at the budget is about three or four billion short of being balanced, I hope he does not sign his first budget with such a gross deficit.

OP, Good Luck in future endeavors, let us know if the grass is truly greener on the other side once you land and get settled in. My guess is you'll find pluses and minuses almost anywhere you end up, I've found that little in life does not involve compromise of one sort or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois