U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 07:22 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,160,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Even my wife who has up until now refused to leave is starting to see the light. Two anecdotes that have led her to reconsider:

1) She's a manager at a customer service center in a collar suburb. They have employees working as late as 9pm to handle calls mostly from the west coast. They recently opened another call center in Phoenix to handle the later evening calls. The problem is they can't get anyone in the Phoenix center to stay past 5pm. If they try, people just quit en masse because they know they can get jobs elsewhere right away. So while the Phoenix center employees get to work conventional hours, the Illinois center is still stuck taking the evening calls because her employer knows their Illinois employees are captive by comparison.

2) She saw the poll from the Paul Simon Center at SIU showing that half of Illinois residents want to leave and she finally realized we'd be shouldering a growing share of the burden if we stuck around.

So alas, I have finally won her permission to start job hunting out of state.
I really hope that a poll showing at least 25% of all Americans want to leave the state in which they reside was the reason you are moving. Anecdotes are no rational reason to make a major life decision...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:44 PM

6,322 posts, read 2,528,586 times
No, but watching the value of our property sink because it's being used to guarantee other peoples' bloated pensions certainly is. Our property taxes have risen 30% in real terms since we bought our home -- even as our real home value has dropped by 25%. Currently our property tax payments are almost as much as our mortgage payment and at the rate they keep increasing it won't be long before they exceed our mortgage payment. If this keeps up, when we pay off our mortgage we'll have paid almost as much in property taxes as we paid for our home. In summary, we're basically renting our own home from the government.

And if that weren't enough, the state socked us with an income tax hike too. Between the income tax hike and our mysteriously swelling property taxes on a home that is actually losing value, the government's uncontrollable appetite for more revenue has wiped out the last six years of our income gains. Throw in the diminished property value largely attributable to out-of-control property taxes and it's probably another six years of income gains wiped out.

As for the anecdote that half of Illinoisians want to move... well, it's not just an anecdote. People in record numbers are acting on that desire. This isn't just some knee-jerk impulse decision they're making -- they're turning their careers and their family's lives upside-down, leaving family and friends behind, sometimes leaving the place they had spent their entire lives and had hoped their kids would want to spend their entire lives too. Pennsylvania has now surpassed Illinois to become the 5th-most populous state -- just by virtue of keeping their population stagnant.

If you want to stick around and watch criminal fiscal mismanagement scare away business and employment opportunities and watch outrageous property taxes destroy your home value, that's your choice. As for me, I'll be joining the exodus once I can get the wife fully on board. I'm outta here in either case once the kids are done with school. She can keep the house if she wants to stay, as long as she doesn't expect me to help her with the property tax bill.

Last edited by Bitey; 03-18-2018 at 03:50 PM..

Old 03-18-2018, 03:03 PM

3,051 posts, read 1,812,226 times
Bitey, those are many of the same exact thought processes we had when we decided after many many years of living here, it was time to get the hell out
We are about to finally sell our house, after listing it almost EIGHT months ago in a desirable west suburban area, for over 30% LESS than we bought it for in 2005
No one in the right mind wants to buy a house here, and pay these nightmare taxes, let alone stay here if they dont have to

Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM

28,717 posts, read 31,368,126 times
I thought this piece from the Chicago Tribune editorial board was even better:

Hello, exodus deniers: No, it isn't Illinois' weather - Chicago Tribune

Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 PM

5,844 posts, read 4,524,699 times
The problem with moving to Indiana is that there's very little inventory and it's quite honestly a bit hickish around the edges and blighted in many other areas. Low Inventory of homes in the region

The problem with moving to Wisconsin is that their taxes are just about as bad as Illinois.

The problem with moving anywhere else is that it's too damn far from Chicago, which is still one of the greatest cities on earth so what's one to do? We already tried Atlanta and uh, no thanks! I'd rather pay high taxes than spend my life in a second-rate $h!thole. Texas, Arizona? Nope, too damn hot! California, not a chance - liberal hell.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:50 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,964,967 times
Quote:
No, but watching the value of our property sink because it's being used to guarantee other peoples' bloated pensions certainly is. Our property taxes have risen 30% in real terms since we bought our home -- even as our real home value has dropped by 25%. Currently our property tax payments are almost as much as our mortgage payment and at the rate they keep increasing it won't be long before they exceed our mortgage payment. If this keeps up, when we pay off our mortgage we'll have paid almost as much in property taxes as we paid for our home. In summary, we're basically renting our own home from the government.

And if that weren't enough, the state socked us with an income tax hike too. Between the income tax hike and our mysteriously swelling property taxes on a home that is actually losing value, the government's uncontrollable appetite for more revenue has wiped out the last six years of our income gains. Throw in the diminished property value largely attributable to out-of-control property taxes and it's probably another six years of income gains wiped out.

If you want to stick around and watch criminal fiscal mismanagement scare away business and employment opportunities and watch outrageous property taxes destroy your home value, that's your choice. As for me, I'll be joining the exodus once I can get the wife fully on board. I'm outta here in either case once the kids are done with school. She can keep the house if she wants to stay, as long as she doesn't expect me to help her with the property tax bill.
Where is Brackenwood(?)

Old 03-18-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
As for me, I'll be joining the exodus once I can get the wife fully on board. I'm outta here in either case once the kids are done with school. She can keep the house if she wants to stay, as long as she doesn't expect me to help her with the property tax bill.
Sounds like personal issues to me...

Old 03-18-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Where is Brackenwood(?)
https://bitey.com/category/animation/brackenwood/

Old 03-18-2018, 05:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 4,327,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I thought this piece from the Chicago Tribune editorial board was even better:

Hello, exodus deniers: No, it isn't Illinois' weather - Chicago Tribune
Yes, the statistics and facts are there to support the "anecdotal" commentary.

The Surprising States People Are Moving to—and the Ones They're Leaving - Jan 2, 2018

Not all states are seeing an influx of new residents. Illinois saw the largest percentage of folks escaping its borders, at 62.4%. That's not altogether surprising with a 4.9% unemployment rate and a higher cost of living than surrounding states.

The median home price in the state is $180,000 compared with $110,000 in Wisconsin, $128,000 in Indiana, and $135,000 in Missouri.

Illinois has seen more moves out of state than in state since the mid-1990s, according to Atlas Van Lines. Only 37% of folks looking for homes in Illinois on realtor.com were from the state.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...g-to-and-from/

Old 03-18-2018, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
The problem with moving to Indiana is that there's very little inventory and it's quite honestly a bit hickish around the edges and blighted in many other areas. [URL]http://www.city-data.com/forum/northwest-indiana/2893322-low-inventory-homes-region.html[/URL]

The problem with moving to Wisconsin is that their taxes are just about as bad as Illinois.

The problem with moving anywhere else is that it's too damn far from Chicago, which is still one of the greatest cities on earth so what's one to do? We already tried Atlanta and uh, no thanks! I'd rather pay high taxes than spend my life in a second-rate $h!thole. Texas, Arizona? Nope, too damn hot! California, not a chance - liberal hell.
There's a reason inventory is low in Indiana. Its a very desirable place that people are flocking too. Its one big reason why homes are selling like hotcakes here. Home values are going up and the residents are reaping the benefits of it.
The hickish claim is hilarious as Illinois is just as *Hickish* if not more than Indiana. Complaining about blight too is rich considering have you ever been to East St Louis? Harvey? Ford Heights? The south and west sides of Chicago? Decatur? Peoria? Sterling? Cairo? Moline? Danville? Illinois has many blighted communities and several of them are even worse than Gary, Indiana so you can't complain about blight without looking like a hypocrite. You can stay in Illinois though and endure those soaring taxes. Eventually your home will be worthless and you'll be unable to sell it as some of the commenters above have pointed out. 8 months to sell a home in a desirable suburb is very bad especially with how the housing market is nationally right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois