U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM

6,466 posts, read 2,603,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Sounds like personal issues to me...
It isn't yet but it will be if she expects us to go down with the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
The problem with moving to Indiana is that there's very little inventory and it's quite honestly a bit hickish around the edges and blighted in many other areas. Low Inventory of homes in the region

The problem with moving to Wisconsin is that their taxes are just about as bad as Illinois.

The problem with moving anywhere else is that it's too damn far from Chicago, which is still one of the greatest cities on earth so what's one to do? We already tried Atlanta and uh, no thanks! I'd rather pay high taxes than spend my life in a second-rate $h!thole. Texas, Arizona? Nope, too damn hot! California, not a chance - liberal hell.
Property taxes in Wisconsin tend to be on par with Illinois as a percentage of home value, but we can find a comparable home to ours in a comparable suburb with comparable schools for about $80K to 100K less. Plus there's a state-imposed cap on the rate of property tax increases. Plus their sales taxes are roughly half what they are in the Chicago area. Plus their gasoline taxes are lower even though there isn't a toll booth in sight. And perhaps most crucially, their public-sector pension fund is 98%+ funded.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 11:45 PM

4,016 posts, read 2,990,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post

Property taxes in Wisconsin tend to be on par with Illinois as a percentage of home value, but we can find a comparable home to ours in a comparable suburb with comparable schools for about $80K to 100K less. Plus there's a state-imposed cap on the rate of property tax increases. Plus their sales taxes are roughly half what they are in the Chicago area. Plus their gasoline taxes are lower even though there isn't a toll booth in sight. And perhaps most crucially, their public-sector pension fund is 98%+ funded.
Where specifically in WI are you looking? Trying to get a baseline of which Chicago suburb you will be fleeing.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:22 AM

5,887 posts, read 4,562,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI12 View Post
There's a reason inventory is low in Indiana. Its a very desirable place that people are flocking too. Its one big reason why homes are selling like hotcakes here. Home values are going up and the residents are reaping the benefits of it.
The hickish claim is hilarious as Illinois is just as *Hickish* if not more than Indiana. Complaining about blight too is rich considering have you ever been to East St Louis? Harvey? Ford Heights? The south and west sides of Chicago? Decatur? Peoria? Sterling? Cairo? Moline? Danville? Illinois has many blighted communities and several of them are even worse than Gary, Indiana so you can't complain about blight without looking like a hypocrite. You can stay in Illinois though and endure those soaring taxes. Eventually your home will be worthless and you'll be unable to sell it as some of the commenters above have pointed out. 8 months to sell a home in a desirable suburb is very bad especially with how the housing market is nationally right now.
I take the estimates on zillow/redfin with a grain of salt, but both show the home we bought ~2 years ago to be worth 5% more than what we paid. I know the blighted areas you mention very well. I grew up in the South burbs, but would never live there today. I use the West and North bubs as a comparison to NWI and there's nothing close. Not saying I still wouldn't move to NWI someday, but it's apples and oranges.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Where specifically in WI are you looking? Trying to get a baseline of which Chicago suburb you will be fleeing.
Curious about this as well. We looked in WI and didn't find home prices to be any different than comparable Chicago burbs. But, how do you compare? Milwaukee is nowhere near the level of Chicago. I looked up the current gas prices in Pleasant Prarie, WI and yeah, they're 25 cents p/g cheaper than the Chicago burbs. If you drive a lot, I guess that makes a difference. Sales tax looks to be 5.5% in PP so I'll give you that one too. And to be clear, I'm not an Illinois flag waver. I'll jump ship faster than anyone if the conditions are right.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I take the estimates on zillow/redfin with a grain of salt, but both show the home we bought ~2 years ago to be worth 5% more than what we paid. I know the blighted areas you mention very well. I grew up in the South burbs, but would never live there today. I use the West and North bubs as a comparison to NWI and there's nothing close. Not saying I still wouldn't move to NWI someday, but it's apples and oranges.

Curious about this as well. We looked in WI and didn't find home prices to be any different than comparable Chicago burbs. But, how do you compare? Milwaukee is nowhere near the level of Chicago. I looked up the current gas prices in Pleasant Prarie, WI and yeah, they're 25 cents p/g cheaper than the Chicago burbs. If you drive a lot, I guess that makes a difference. Sales tax looks to be 5.5% in PP so I'll give you that one too. And to be clear, I'm not an Illinois flag waver. I'll jump ship faster than anyone if the conditions are right.
Prices in WI *are* slightly lower on average, there's no disputing that.

I would probably use more established suburbs of Milwauke or Madison as a litmus test though. For example, compare Middleton, WI (by Madison) to Northbrook; or Whitefish Bay (north Milwaukee) with Wilmette.

I am curious where the OP is moving from.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Sorry- I forgot to respond to your first part.

It's likely to vary, obviously depending on when you bought. FWIW, there are still really nice areas in the NW burbs that are far from blighted but with sales prices well off. Friends of mine in Hoffman Estates have a great home but it's far from it's previously value, nor will it likely be going up, being somewhat inconvenient from public transportation and part of the U-64 school district. A double whammy, if you will ;(

Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 AM

12,803 posts, read 16,539,712 times
I believe that whoever is inaugurated as Governor next year will take action to solve the fiscal crisis. Hopefully also tackle the pension problem. True, many want to leave but what's keeping them here, irionically, is a job! As the population ages that is less an anchor.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 AM

6,466 posts, read 2,603,436 times
Quote:

I prefer not to be specific about where I live, but I'll narrow it down to the boundaries of LPCHS District 108. About where I'm looking in Wisconsin, there are a number of high-quality Milwaukee suburbs in high-quality school districts with houses of the same general size, age, and condition as my own for about 30% less -- depending of course on what we can actually get for ours -- and half the tax bill. And if you don't need to live in a big metro area, there are plenty of very nice small cities with great schools and a high quality of life with an even lower buy-in price and property tax bill.

Forget about the Madison suburbs. I can't figure out why a mostly up-to-date 3 bedroom house in the farm fringes of Dane County should start at 250 grand. Maybe it's the double dose of government largesse that fuels the local economy? Middleton has to be the most overrated town this side of Barrington.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 AM

5,887 posts, read 4,562,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I believe that whoever is inaugurated as Governor next year will take action to solve the fiscal crisis. Hopefully also tackle the pension problem. True, many want to leave but what's keeping them here, irionically, is a job! As the population ages that is less an anchor.
or School, I hate to move kids out of a school they're familiar with...

Regarding the aging population, Illinois doesn't tax retirement income so that keeps many here after retirement. But, how long before that gets axed??

"Of the 41 states that impose an income tax, Illinois is one of only three that exempt all pension income and one of 27 that exclude all federally taxable Social Security income, according to the Civic Federation, a nonpartisan budget watchdog. In all, just 12 states, including Illinois, do not tax retirement income."

Good luck Bitey, don't blame you for skipping out! Hopefully, you won't turn into a Packer fan! lol. I've got a line in the water too, but not sure if we'll stay in IL or end up in WI, IN or MI. A lot depends on who wins the upcoming Governor race. If Pritzker wins, we are guaranteed to see more tax increases all around and that will be the last straw for us...

Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I prefer not to be specific about where I live, but I'll narrow it down to the boundaries of LPCHS District 108. About where I'm looking in Wisconsin, there are a number of high-quality Milwaukee suburbs in high-quality school districts with houses of the same general size, age, and condition as my own for about 30% less -- depending of course on what we can actually get for ours -- and half the tax bill. And if you don't need to live in a big metro area, there are plenty of very nice small cities with great schools and a high quality of life with an even lower buy-in price and property tax bill.
I agree completely. Provided you find the right employment opportunity, WI could work quite well with so many nice communities to live- not just metro either. The only drawback in some areas, especially small towns well outside the larger WI cities, is WI Act 10, which negatively impacts teacher salaries and will over time impact quality of education.

Quote:
Forget about the Madison suburbs. I can't figure out why a mostly up-to-date 3 bedroom house in the farm fringes of Dane County should start at 250 grand. Maybe it's the double dose of government largesse that fuels the local economy? Middleton has to be the most overrated town this side of Barrington.
[Full disclosure: Madison native here]

Of course. I can understand if you are used to greater Chicago trappings like I am now living here, Dane county fringes might be a tad ridiculous. Regarding your comments on home prices though, you are somewhat misguided. Those are entry level home prices within a very reasonable driving distance to a location with decent jobs. That will be always attractive to those individuals not wanting to live in a city but have no problem with a 20-30 minute easy commute to white collar employers along Madison's Beltline, etc. Yes, the state government is in Madison, along with a major University. And stop signs are red too(!)

I agree that Middleton can be a little bland, but again- you are comparing to something it is not. It's excellent schools, low crime and proximity to Madison makes it quite popular.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM

3,080 posts, read 1,841,071 times
only problem with Wisconsin/Indiana/Michigan, is there is still winter in all those states..and, the older you get, the less you want to deal with sub zero/ice/snow storms, and, as mentioned before, the taxes, even though lower than the land of Lincoln, are still high compared to many other states.

some one also mentioned that the next governor will fix the pension/budget nightmare... how can that possibly happen, unless giant tax increases come, or spending is cut 75%, which cant even be talked about in a democratic controlled legislature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois