U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-21-2018, 04:03 PM
 
4,018 posts, read 2,967,158 times
Reputation: 3118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Oh, I almost forgot -- you don't need the state's blessing to keep a gun in your own home or purchase ammo for it.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2018, 04:10 PM
 
Location: northwest valley, az
3,056 posts, read 1,814,602 times
Reputation: 4169
a perfect example of the attitude that tens of thousands are fleeing from..
hope you enjoy watching the ship sink; maybe JB will give you a discount on a hotel room when you have to abandon your house due to staggering tax bills that will come to bail out Madigan and his fellow criminals..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
6,346 posts, read 2,534,945 times
Reputation: 13762
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out...
Don't asphyxiate yourself while savoring your own farts...

My backside will be fine, though I appreciate your heartfelt concern. Yours on the other hand may not be once the public-sector unions and their political puppets are done bending you over. That goes for anyone else foolish enough to stay aboard this perilously listing ship.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 06:23 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 1,109,275 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
a perfect example of the attitude that tens of thousands are fleeing from..
hope you enjoy watching the ship sink; maybe JB will give you a discount on a hotel room when you have to abandon your house due to staggering tax bills that will come to bail out Madigan and his fellow criminals..
Bitterness on both sides of this. If you don’t like what Illinois and the Chicago metro have to offer then what more can a current resident do but wish you the best while leaving? It is annoying that many on here post just to trash the state and it’s current fiscal issues. What’s the point? It doesn’t make someone “dumb” for staying (everyone’s situation is different) or give someone grounds for wishing ill will upon others (like a few too many have done in this thread).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
6,346 posts, read 2,534,945 times
Reputation: 13762
The problem isn't that we don't like what Illinois and the Chicago metro area have to offer. From what I can see most people in this thread are, or until recently were, lifelong residents. The problem is that the people in charge are running the place into the ground, and furthermore the recent election results indicate that the residents are just fine with that. It is now impossible to ignore that the situation has become intractable, and it's extremely frustrating to watch.

The only hope for salvation is an amendment to the Illinois constitution allowing reductions in future benefit accruals, written in language so plain that even the idiots on the state Supreme Court can't mistake its actual meaning. That won't happen as long as the state is run by the public sector unions' puppets. I don't see any indication their stranglehold will be broken any time in the foreseeable future.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 08:10 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 1,109,275 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The problem isn't that we don't like what Illinois and the Chicago metro area have to offer. From what I can see most people in this thread are, or until recently were, lifelong residents. The problem is that the people in charge are running the place into the ground, and furthermore the recent election results indicate that the residents are just fine with that. It is now impossible to ignore that the situation has become intractable, and it's extremely frustrating to watch.

The only hope for salvation is an amendment to the Illinois constitution allowing reductions in future benefit accruals, written in language so plain that even the idiots on the state Supreme Court can't mistake its actual meaning. That won't happen as long as the state is run by the public sector unions' puppets. I don't see any indication their stranglehold will be broken any time in the foreseeable future.
Chicago was built by corrupt politicians and heavy union influence. This is nothing new to 2018. It dates back to the 19th century. This will not change overnight but the unions are gradually losing their influence as many of the blue collar jobs that often unionized are beginning to disappear or have disappeared from this area.

My opinion, in the long run Chicago will be fine. The city is in a state of transition right now and once it commits to a new direction it will come out even stronger. Another reason I prefer the quick death rather than the drawn out slow painful death. JB could be the key to the quick merciful death and then we can all move forward again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
6,346 posts, read 2,534,945 times
Reputation: 13762
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Chicago was built by corrupt politicians and heavy union influence. This is nothing new to 2018. It dates back to the 19th century. This will not change overnight but the unions are gradually losing their influence as many of the blue collar jobs that often unionized are beginning to disappear or have disappeared from this area.

My opinion, in the long run Chicago will be fine. The city is in a state of transition right now and once it commits to a new direction it will come out even stronger. Another reason I prefer the quick death rather than the drawn out slow painful death. JB could be the key to the quick merciful death and then we can all move forward again.
The disappearing blue-collar unions are mostly private sector, and they're not the ones draining government coffers. The public sector unions are not just for blue collar workers and their political influence has not waned one bit.

The transformation Chicago is undergoing is not a healthy one. It's a transformation from a middle-class city into a city of haves and have-nots. I haven't carefully thought out how that affects the entire metropolitan area, but it's not good for the city.


Last edited by Bitey; 03-21-2018 at 09:52 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 09:52 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 1,109,275 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The disappearing blue-collar unions are mostly private sector, and they're not the ones draining government coffers. The public sector unions are not just for blue collar workers and their political influence has not waned one bit.

The transformation Chicago is undergoing is not a healthy one. It's a transformation from a middle-class city into a city of haves and have-nots. I haven't carefully thought out how that affects the entire metropolitan area, but it's not good for the city.
This trend is not specific to Chicago though. Class disparity is occurring at the national level and, my guess, will continue to accelerate following the recent economic/tax reform bill.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...th-gap-america
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Brackenwood
6,346 posts, read 2,534,945 times
Reputation: 13762
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
This trend is not specific to Chicago though. Class disparity is occurring at the national level and, my guess, will continue to accelerate following the recent economic/tax reform bill.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei...th-gap-america
The problem with just measuring "wealth inequality" is that there's no upper limit to the data set so it's a theoretically infinite set. That's why it's useful to have fixed percentage points relative to the median to see where the distribution falls around the median. I'm sure the same phenomenon seen in the Chicago map has also happened in pretty much all of the major cities where investment capital is flowing. I doubt it would be nearly as dramatic across the rest of the country if it were animated from decade to decade using the same criteria.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2018, 07:17 AM
 
1,674 posts, read 1,109,275 times
Reputation: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The problem with just measuring "wealth inequality" is that there's no upper limit to the data set so it's a theoretically infinite set. That's why it's useful to have fixed percentage points relative to the median to see where the distribution falls around the median. I'm sure the same phenomenon seen in the Chicago map has also happened in pretty much all of the major cities where investment capital is flowing. I doubt it would be nearly as dramatic across the rest of the country if it were animated from decade to decade using the same criteria.
Again, this is a national trend. It’s not just a Chicago thing.

https://www.cbpp.org/income-gains-wi...t-since-then-0

https://www.cbpp.org/income-gains-at...e-households-1

https://www.cbpp.org/research/povert...ome-inequality
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top