U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 AM

449 posts, read 1,278,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
That's the problem. If the law could be revised to prevent anyone receiving a State-funded pension from collecting if not maintaining a legal domicile inside Illinois it would be more fair. I do not pretend that most of those leaving are former Illinois payrollers, but those ought to be forced to stay.
Sounds like a prison to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:38 PM

12,064 posts, read 3,531,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They tried to reduce pensions, it was ruled unconstitutional.
Interesting they are so worried about it being unconstitutional. Graduated taxes are ALSO unconstitutional yet JB (or rather Madigan) is already figuring out a way to get around it.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:52 PM

12,064 posts, read 3,531,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I don't think that's true. Probably the vast majority of posters on here who live in Illinois have had their representative, including "I'm so sorry I tried to reform pensions" Biss, vote to keep Madigan as Speaker of the House. Make your voice heard. Let your representative know you do not approve of that.
Dan Biss came to my door once. I told him I would NEVER vote Democrat again. Haven't heard from him since.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:03 PM

9,904 posts, read 14,869,152 times
I took a Dem ticket in March just to vote against Preckwinkle, Berios, and Pritzker (Biss is probably the least objectionable of the Dems but they all suck).

Old 07-27-2018, 05:17 PM

604 posts, read 563,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
While I agree with you on that point, I will say I think everyone realizes things people were doing along the way were not sustainable. I get its kind of unfair to hold for example the average school teacher accountable but when I think back to the 2008 Financial Crisis when most people were struggling, people were getting laid off, doing more work for less money and the Chicago Teachers Union got a 2% raise and bitched and moaned and marched through the streets about how unfair they are treated when they get great healthcare, great pension, work 9 months out of the year, etc and were completely ungrateful when tehy were doing better than most. Unions often get so greedy they would rather destroy the job or industry for everyone than make a little sacrafice on their part. Look at what happenned with Hostess and Twinkies. For that reason its hard to feel bad for cutting people's pensions who are getting way more than they really should be getting in the first place, but yes I do get it was promised to them
This, a million times this!! THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!

Old 09-02-2018, 03:47 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,023,370 times
The fact that Illinois and Chicago have large unfunded mandates for pensions has been talked about for years. Since they are still in business means they must be pulling some kind of stunt to pay their debts. Does anyone know how what they have been doing to keep from going bankrupt? Sure they could be moving money around or getting short term financing but that only holds off the wolves so long.

I am sure someone has mentioned cutting pensions. That might be a negotiation point going forward but would not affect current retirees. The pension for current retirees could only be changed by the courts. Good luck with that.

BTW, I left Illinois years ago and would never want to live there again. The last time I visited there everything seemed so dark and depressed. Was I imagining things?

Old 09-03-2018, 11:22 AM

12,801 posts, read 16,495,493 times
It can't be that bad if a wealthy business man is willing to spend millions trying to become its next governor. And the incumbent is also spending millions defending his position.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:58 PM

28,461 posts, read 76,254,813 times
Default Motivations are a funny thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It can't be that bad if a wealthy business man is willing to spend millions trying to become its next governor. And the incumbent is also spending millions defending his position.

This past spring the current governor sat down with WSJ writer in a wide ranging interview that included interesting insight into way he originally ran -- https://www.wsj.com/articles/bruce-r...fia-1520030669
Quote:
“I was recruited to run by the business community in Illinois, because many of them were leaving and the rest of them didn’t want to leave,” he says. “They knew that I was passionate about job creation and free enterprise.” “You fight for your home. Illinois’s home. I was born in Chicago, near Wrigley Field. I’ve lived there my whole life, and we’re going to make it good.” Mr. Rauner says that if he succeeds in reforming state government, an economic renaissance is in the state’s future.

In contrast if one reads profiles of JB it is clear his motivations are very different -- J.B. Pritzker: The Other Mayor of Chicago | Chicago magazine | March 2014
Quote:
But Pritzker—gregarious like his father and passionate about such liberal causes as early childhood education (“I think much of what you learn as a kid comes before age seven”)—felt that his true calling was politics. “I was always fascinated by politics, and I was exposed to it quite a lot,” Pritzker felt ready to launch his own political bid in 1998. He tossed his hat in the ring, along with five other Democratic challengers, for the congressional seat in Illinois’s highly competitive 9th District. Despite spending more than $1 million of his own money, he lost the primary to Jan Schakowsky. The experience left him feeling bruised

Old 09-05-2018, 02:19 PM

1,207 posts, read 838,337 times
Unfortunately, pretty sure JB is going to win. And he'll be this jolly, affable, likable guy that smiles while he robs the state of more money. And millions of people will bend over and say, it's okay JB, we know you love us.

I'm actually pretty liberal when it comes to national politics. But in Illinois, I will never vote Democrat for any power position again.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 PM

451 posts, read 224,941 times
I'm not voting for either of these two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois