U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 08:09 PM
1 posts, read 106 times

I've been commuting to my job in Rockford for quite some time and I'm fed up with the extremely long drive. I've searched all the threads I could find about Rockford and talked to some co-workers about a safe area to live.

Here is my criteria:

Crime - I do not want to worry about someone breaking in my home/car, drug dealers, gun shots, etc.
Commute - Preferably no longer then 25 minutes, job is on East Side of Rockford
Age Group - I'd prefer to be in an area with like minded young professionals
Rent - Less then a $1,000 is preferred
Entertainment - Am I nearby parks, recreational centers, gyms? (I like to play basketball and badminton, any suggestions on nearby areas?)

Northeast Rockford/Loves Park is what I'm looking at right now. It's been suggested to stay east of Mulford Road and North of Guilford Road. A co-worker told me to look north of E Riverside Blvd. Is this part of Rockford safe? I have heard a few bad things near the Rock Valley College area.

I'm currently looking at the following apartments:

I looked at Rockford Police Blotter and CrimeMapping.com (crime within last 84 days). I'm a little sad to see there is some home invasions and aggravated assaults near Rock Valley apartments. The other two areas seem to be fine, not too much crime nearby.

What do you guys think about the first two links I posted? Am I safe? I've also heard Terra Creek Apartments on Bienterra Trail is ok. There doesn't seem to be too much crime nearby. What would you guys recommend?

I would prefer not to waste a bunch of time getting to work, but am considering the following regions:

Belvidere, New Milford, Davis Junction, Southampton Estates, Monroe Center, Cherry Valley, Candlewick Lane, Poplar Grove, Roscoe, Rockton, South Beloit

I've heard good things about these areas, but I have a few questions:

Cherry Valley - Most threads seem to talk positively about the area. Area Vibes shows a lot of crime, and the latest annual police report is from 2015.

Machesney Park - Usually talked about positively, but I've been told to stay away from this area.

Anybody live in these areas? Would it meet my criteria?

Thank you for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
11,707 posts, read 3,669,659 times
The areas you're looking at are in good parts of Rockford. You definitely want to stay on the northeast side of town. I lived there for about four years and never had any problems. Much of my family still lives in that area--in fact, my sister actually lived in the complex in your first link several years ago--and never experienced any crime. The area has the added bonus of being very close to Rock Cut State Park.

Candlewick Lake is a gated community with a great rec center, pool, lake, tennis courts and a golf course. There is a yearly assessment, though, and the water bills are high. And I don't think they have any apartments there, only single family homes, though I know there are houses there for rent.

The other places you mentioned are okay, too, but I think for the things you are looking for you would be better off in the Rockford/Loves Park/Machesney Park area.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or