Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 09:50 AM

6 posts, read 10,373 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is on the move again due to my husband’s job. We have 3 kinda day aged 6, 12, and 14 so I need a great family area with excellent schools. We like to do things on the weekend also so I’m also looking for someplace close to activities and other fun things. My kids are into football, cheer, and softball so good programs are really important. Please help me find our new home! In the past 2 years we moved from our home in Indianapolis to Highland Park, IL, and now again to the Springfield area. I’d like to be east of Springfield with easy access to visit Indianapolis frequently. Thanks in advance for any help you can us!

Lanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 10:25 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanna20 View Post
Hello! My family is on the move again due to my husband’s job. We have 3 kinda day aged 6, 12, and 14 so I need a great family area with excellent schools. We like to do things on the weekend also so I’m also looking for someplace close to activities and other fun things. My kids are into football, cheer, and softball so good programs are really important. Please help me find our new home! In the past 2 years we moved from our home in Indianapolis to Highland Park, IL, and now again to the Springfield area. I’d like to be east of Springfield with easy access to visit Indianapolis frequently. Thanks in advance for any help you can us!

Lanna
Access to I72 and subsequently I74 to Indy is pretty easy from Springfield. Maybe look into Rochester or Chatham or Sherman just outside of Springfield. I wouldn't recommend Decatur...The suburbs of Decatur are okay, but that city has been pummeled by job loses for decades, and its best days look to be far behind it. Otherwise, the Champaign area has been rapidly growing for years and is anchored by the U of I, among other small industries, making it a good location. However, being that it is so strongly dominated by the University, many things in the area will revolve around the U of I.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:13 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Quote:

Lanna
Of the three I have always felt Champaign is nicer.

Such minutiae like specific sports or activities are best answered by more boots on the ground inquiries. Call respective school districts and/or PTOs in those areas once you nail down a few good home choices.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:05 PM

9,971 posts, read 5,667,931 times
I think you're greatly underestimating the distances between these cities if you imagine they're all within reasonable commuting range from one another. It would be like asking where to live in the "Indianapolis/Bloomington/Lafayette area." That would greatly depend on where in that so-called "area" you need to be 5 days a week. Same in this case.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,373 times
Thanks for your replies! So, if we decide to stay in the Springfield area is Rochester the best choice for schools? I’m a high school teacher as well so I’ll be looking for a job in the area also. Greatschools.org is not being very forgiving to the districts in the area so that’s why I’m hoping to get some honest responses on here. ��

Old 03-24-2018, 05:32 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies! So, if we decide to stay in the Springfield area is Rochester the best choice for schools? I’m a high school teacher as well so I’ll be looking for a job in the area also. Greatschools.org is not being very forgiving to the districts in the area so that’s why I’m hoping to get some honest responses on here. ��
There are parochial high schools in Spfld that are great (I was the graduate of one, and I think we had a 90% college acceptance rate at that time). The best public high schools are probably Chatham Glenwood and Rochester. The central Springfield high is probably the best in the city limits. Lanphier and Southeast can be very hit or miss. There are also several other okay high schools in the other small towns outside of Spfld. I have no idea what it’s like to work for any of these, but my former brother-in-law is an admin at Southeast and seems to like it, but of course that story is merely anecdotal.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,154 times
Quote:
As a high school teacher, you would appreciate the ‘IL report card’ published for most schools. Greatschools should be ignored.

Go here:

https://www.illinoisreportcard.com/

Old 03-26-2018, 08:21 AM

384 posts, read 383,075 times
Quote:
Chatham is pretty popular and they seem to love their football.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Default Bad Move

Worst place to move to is Decatur! ANYWHERE else is better! Its turned into crime capital..no where safe for kids.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:50 PM

89 posts, read 272,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaox View Post
Worst place to move to is Decatur! ANYWHERE else is better! Its turned into crime capital..no where safe for kids.
First of all, thanks for reviving a 5 month old thread. Second of all, this is a false statement. I'm not saying Decatur is the nicest or most amazing place & it certainly does have areas with crime issues but it's far from the "crime capital". Springfield actually has a higher crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois