U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 AM

263 posts, read 1,880,701 times

Advertisements

Favorite thing about Illinois:
Portillos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 AM

20,005 posts, read 68,055,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelychicagoan View Post
the only thing that i like about illinois at all is six flags great america.
Are you serious?

BWAHAHAHA cmon, really.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:42 PM

38 posts, read 278,963 times
Quote:
the only thing that i like about illinois at all is six flags great america.
No wonder you're lonely.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:55 PM

111 posts, read 204,573 times
1) Mexicans still live in barrios...aka little mexico's. Illinois has not been cursed like flordia, texas, ca, etc. Illinois has been fortunate enough to not see the full effect of what a bunch of dirty illegals do to a state, its population, and its recources...but you guys just wait because they multiply like Fleas and flies.

Another thing i like about illinois at the sake of sounding overtly trendy...Portillos. Supposidly there is one in southern california, but im not sure if this is true. Id pay doulbe the money to have a portillos, much less a real hot dog in santa cruz.

The third thing i love is the uneducated blue collar-lower middle class people out in the suburubs who dont understand how the world works. These people always make for funny conversation, especially if you let the rant. I remember one guyat a bar in naperville telling me how he hated clinton for turning america into a welfare state. When i pointed out to him that actually under clinton the prwora act of 1996 (personal responsibilty and work oportunity act) not only reduced the number of people on welfare (by 57%), but it also made welfare available only for 5 years, and a person had to work in order to get full welfare benefits.Clinton actually made this bill to appease the republicans in the house of reps. Wen i stated these facts, the poorly dressed naperville local dismissed my facts as "bs". I love the under educated folk!

The fourth thing i find amuzing about chicago that in a twisted way makes me love the place. It is easier to find drugs like crack and herion on the streets of chicago than it is to find a simple bag of green goodness. you gotta love a place that says for get that starter drug stuff, go right for the hard stuff.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:29 PM

38 posts, read 278,963 times
Unhappy Favorite Things I MISS the Most

I've been gone for 9 years and I'm still homesick! Here's some of the things I miss the most.

(1) The view of Grant park, the harbor, the museums and Michigan Avenue from my office window in Prudential Plaza (If I were still there I'd now be looking at the incredibly wonderful Millennium Park as well! )

(2) My gorgeous garden on the park side of Virginia Avenue in Budlong Woods.

(3) Looking for warblers and other colorful little birds at 5:00 AM at the magic hedge in Lincoln Park during Spring migration.

(4) The world's most magnificent skyline!!!! Especially when viewed from the Adler Planetarium.

(5) The July 3 Fourth of July concert and fireworks in Grant Park. July 4th is my birthday!

(6) Sunday brunch with friends -- pick your spot; there are so many good ones!

(7) Chicago-style pizza! It's just not the same anywhere else.

(8) All the fabulous restaurants and really great food in Chicago.

(9) Taste of Chicago!! I love eating standing up with a million of my friends and neighbors all around me!

10) Chicago's lakefront air show.

(11) Venetian Night in Chicago..

(12) Shopping on Michigan Avenue.

I could go on for pages and pages. Oh gods, how I miss the City of Big Shoulders.

Old 12-16-2006, 04:45 AM

65 posts, read 262,405 times
Four Seasons
Museums
Food
People
Night Life
Lake Michigan
Christmas in the Loop
All major sports teams
Bluesfest
Chicagofest

Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 PM

91 posts, read 107,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelikaV View Post
No wonder you're lonely.
of course i'm lonely! no matter where i ever go in the state, nice people are extremely few and extremely far in between. the rest of the time, i always get ignored, usually, i even get mean faces as if they were saying "who the xxxx are you?!! go away!" and this is not just in chicago; i have encountered all that, like, all over the place, even in places like sycamore, de kalb, northern illinois university, naperville, glen ellyn, college of du page, river grove, triton college, franklin park, lombard, elmhurst, evanston, aurora, batavia, geneva, elgin, bartlett, and west chicago.

Last edited by lonelychicagoan; 12-17-2006 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-17-2006, 06:06 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,967,623 times
Quote:
of course i'm lonely! no matter where i ever go in the state, nice people are extremely few and extremely far in between. the rest of the time, i always get ignored, usually, i even get mean faces as if they were saying "who the xxxx are you?!! go away!" and this is not just in chicago; i have encountered all that, like, all over the place, even in places like sycamore, de kalb, northern illinois university, naperville, glen ellyn, college of du page, river grove, triton college, franklin park, lombard, elmhurst, evanston, aurora, batavia, geneva, elgin, bartlett, and west chicago.
Have you ever noticed that you're the only person on this entire board that this happens to? I can't help but notice that the one obvious common denominator with all these places you have problems with is, well, you.

Old 12-17-2006, 07:38 PM

260 posts, read 1,022,649 times
Hey Lonely- try Virginia, I understand that state is for lovers.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:20 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,055,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxtonian View Post
Hey Lonely- try Virginia, I understand that state is for lovers.
LMBO!!!!!!!

Classic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or