Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 01:46 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Stay away from the West side.
Freeport is quite a ways out, what draws you to that town?
An acquaintance who lives in southern WI said to me recently, that "Freeport has the longest bridge in the world, it starts out in Freeport and ends up in Africa". Took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about, LOL.

Just from driving through, it appears as if Freeport has a lot in common with other post-industrial smaller towns like Decatur - when the manufacturers left, the jobs went with them, and left behind a significant population who have no ties to the remaining agricultural economy. Is that a fair description? Is the tire factory in Freeport still active? It was sad to hear that the train car facility (can't remember the name, but it's Japanese) at I-80 and Rt. 39 is closing, I'm sure they were a boost to the local economy in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM

812 posts, read 736,645 times
I lived in Rockford until I hit my late 20s and you couldn't pay me to move back. I don't miss hearing sirens 24/7 or seeing the news of the latest murder or mall shooting on a regular basis.

Also beware, home prices are low but property taxes can be downright ridiculous. My sister lives in Loves Park, her house is appraised at about half the value of mine and yet her property taxes are almost twice as high.

If you are set on Rockford, the further north and east you can go, the better, maybe consider Poplar Grove or Rockton (but expect to pay more).

Rockford has its good aspects, lots of great local restaurants for one, but they just don't outweigh the negatives for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois