Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times

Advertisements

There exists what I call a price/tax ratio, where home prices adjust to balance out the tax burden with the market demand. Say hypothetically you live in Oak Park and that the average Oak Parker can pay $3,000 per month for housing. If taxes today are $1,000 per month, then your prospective buyers can pay $2,000 in principal, interest, and insurance. If taxes later go up to $1,500 per month, then that same buyer can pay $1,500 in principal, interest, and insurance. And so on.

It does not take a genius to figure out that the housing value goes down with each tax increase, because if your prospective buyers can pay less in principal and interest, then it follows that they can pay less for your house, as the tax increases shift the home price/tax ratio more and more towards the tax side, if that makes sense.

You can of course alter this by increasing the amount that your prospective buyers can spend (improve schools, improve amenities, etc). But if you start talking about all of this "tax the rich" stuff, which unfortunately is becoming more and more common in Blue States like ours, then you jeopardize your ability to do even that, as those individuals can often afford to move to states with lower tax burdens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 09:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
Get Madigan to resign. That's the only way we move forward with reducing pensions and getting out of debt.
Madigan will never resign. He is the Illinois equivalent of Fidel Castro or Francisco Franco. You can't get rid of him so you have to just wait for him to die of natural causes. Unfortunately he is too smart to get indicted for his crimes against the people of Illinois and the people who elect him are either too, dumb, apathetic, or self-serving to vote him out.

I saw his latest commercial where "he and the Democrats are on your side" and wanted to shoot the television. Most blatant BS propaganda since Baghdad Bob.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vUrAMxmO_A

Old 01-07-2019, 08:14 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,802,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Madigan will never resign. He is the Illinois equivalent of Fidel Castro or Francisco Franco. You can't get rid of him so you have to just wait for him to die of natural causes. Unfortunately he is too smart to get indicted for his crimes against the people of Illinois and the people who elect him are either too, dumb, apathetic, or self-serving to vote him out.

I saw his latest commercial where "he and the Democrats are on your side" and wanted to shoot the television. Most blatant BS propaganda since Baghdad Bob.
I agree he will never resign. But he might get indicted. Depends if the Feds can tie him to the 13th Ward scandal.http://www.google.com/url?q=https://...amW5YCvBLspqCv Too smart? That's what they said about Burke!

Last edited by pvande55; 01-07-2019 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Add link.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,671,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
What if every single property owner in IL refused to pay their outrageous prop tax bills, but instead only paid what is reasonable, say 1% of the property's worth.

If everyone did this, it would amount to a state-wide revolution and something drastic would get done in Springfield. If the teachers get pay cuts? Too bad. Strike and you're fired.

Problem is, there is NO WAY 100% of tax payers would agree to something this radical. Sad...

Nope, that's why I moved to Indiana where 1% property tax is a reality! I cut my property taxes from $12k to $3500!

Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM

4,848 posts, read 2,959,436 times
I have a better, and less risky idea:
Since every state road barring tollways is in disrepair, stop paying the annual $100 registration fee.
They are obviously not using the revenue for roads, and the premature wear on front suspension components is costing the average driver even more expense.

I know at least 1 judge who would find this a reasonable argument in court, should the police decide to issue thousands of citations.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 AM

That lovely 911 fee on your cell phone bill isn't going to 911 either. Illinois routinely misappropriates money. When I first graduated as a Chemist I considering becoming a forensic scientist. The (W) Bush admin gave a large grant to reduce the backlog because rapists were going free. Illinois didn't use that grant either as it was intended and my app went nowhere since they weren't hiring. Of course that was a blessing as I wouldn't accept a job with the state of Illinois as I consider their pensions as likely worthless.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:13 AM

28 posts, read 28,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
What if every single property owner in IL refused to pay their outrageous prop tax bills, but instead only paid what is reasonable, say 1% of the property's worth.

If everyone did this, it would amount to a state-wide revolution and something drastic would get done in Springfield. If the teachers get pay cuts? Too bad. Strike and you're fired.

Problem is, there is NO WAY 100% of tax payers would agree to something this radical. Sad...
or here's a simple, legal, peaceful nonviolent and easy way to resist these soaring property taxes in Illinois.
move to Indiana like thousands of others every year.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,487,375 times
"Idea for taxpayer revolt........."

Ok, you go first!

Old 01-10-2019, 01:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,392,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundcakesss View Post
or here's a simple, legal, peaceful nonviolent and easy way to resist these soaring property taxes in Illinois.
move to Indiana like thousands of others every year.
In the long term, this isn't really a solution. The Region is heavily dependent on Chicago. If Chicago and Illinois tank, then it's going to negatively impact a large portion of Indiana's economy. Also, there's no filter on who moves to Indiana, as much as you might wish that were so. So many of the folks who move there are sooner or later going to vote in the same kind of politicians who will implement the same types of policies which are ruining Illinois.

The simple, legal, peaceful etc way to resist is to think before voting! And not let emotion get in the way of the right decision. IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois