Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

Is this law going to be law, or will it not become law. If it becomes law, when?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
According to who??
According to people who have done everything right and still can't get ahead.

Quote:
I teach as my main job,
You have a stable government job. And you are unaware of how bad the private sector instability is. No surprise.

Quote:
But I made the effort to get an education
And so do many others - who then get rejected for not having experience and can't get the good jobs. But don't worry, you'll be there to look down on them and blame them for doing something wrong (namely getting education).

Quote:
simple excuse for the lazy.
No, it is someone who is out of touch with reality, and thinks everyone can just do what you do and everything is happy happy joy joy.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I don't have a link nor am I taking time to find one but it's common sense, if a high income person buys a pack of cigarettes and a 6 pack and a low income person does the same, the lower income person has just paid a much higher rate of taxes and this combined with your flat taxes means the overall tax structure is regressive in Illinois.

Property taxes I would guess to be somewhat similar to your flat income tax rates, higher income people are likely to have a more expensive house in somewhat proportion to their incomes.
This may sound like a truly nutty idea but maybe the better solution is for people to adjust their spending habits to what they can afford? When I buy things, for example, I factor in the taxes into the cost analysis. I don't cry to the government to readjust the tax structure and get someone else to pay for part of it so I can get what I want. And why on earth would we want to essentially subsidize beer and cigarettes for demographic groups who already have a problem with those things? What I say might sound a bit old fashioned but some good ideas are.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:52 AM

638 posts, read 240,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
According to people who have done everything right and still can't get ahead.

You have a stable government job. And you are unaware of how bad the private sector instability is. No surprise.

And so do many others - who then get rejected for not having experience and can't get the good jobs. But don't worry, you'll be there to look down on them and blame them for doing something wrong (namely getting education).

No, it is someone who is out of touch with reality, and thinks everyone can just do what you do and everything is happy happy joy joy.
You mean 4 jobs so I can have financial stability?? It’s called being an adult and self sufficient, not wanting to rely on the government to take care of me with endless entitlement programs

Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You won't get any argument from me that our property tax based educational funding system is bleeped up. I've been rallying on about this on here since 2006. The school districts which need the most resources get the least, thanks to that system, which I also think violates the Illinois Constitution.

But the answer there isn't to give our irresponsible General Assembly the power to raise income taxes. Nor is the solution to subsidize vices and bad spending habits. The solution is to reform the property tax system to be more fair.
You're preaching to the choir here. I am in full agreement.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:29 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Is this law going to be law, or will it not become law. If it becomes law, when?
They have to vote to put it on the 2020 ballot, which they will do soon. Once it's approved by the voters in 2020, and it will be, they can stick it to us.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:14 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
You mean 4 jobs so I can have financial stability??
What are you talking about?

Clearly nothing I was talking about, so reading people's posts is not your strong suit.

Quote:
It’s called being an adult and self sufficient,
You're not working in the private sector, so therefore you're not self sufficient.

Quote:
not wanting to rely on the government to take care of me with endless entitlement programs
Says the person who works for the government, so the government is taking care of you, and on top of that, you have endless entitlement programs protecting his job.

When you decide to actually have your words and actions be congruent, then you can lecture people on being an adult and self-sufficient.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
What are you talking about?

Clearly nothing I was talking about, so reading people's posts is not your strong suit.

You're not working in the private sector, so therefore you're not self sufficient.

Says the person who works for the government, so the government is taking care of you, and on top of that, you have endless entitlement programs protecting his job.

When you decide to actually have your words and actions be congruent, then you can lecture people on being an adult and self-sufficient.
My point being, if someone works four jobs, they will not need to rely on the government to take care of them. I’m sorry you couldn’t grasp that concept .

I worked 27 years in the private sector, didn’t begin teaching full time until 2 years ago... and I WORK for the government, certainly not any sort of entitlement

You are desperate as you attempt to shift the discussion away from the lazy and unproductive in the state and their desire to steal even more from the wealthy

Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
And we also have a regressive system as benefits given out... so what’s the difference?? The low income person is getting SNAP benefits, section 8 housing etc... where is the complaining about that?

Instead me have become a society of jealous people wanting to blame the successful for all of our problems .. why not blame the lazy that rely on the government to support them?? Isn’t that the real problem?
We probably agree mostly on welfare encouragement, I think the system should be designed to educate, train, and move people off of welfare. But that is a different subject from the regressive tax system in Illinois.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We probably agree mostly on welfare encouragement, I think the system should be designed to educate, train, and move people off of welfare. But that is a different subject from the regressive tax system in Illinois.
Not only educate, but to also motivate them to be self reliant, to develop a work ethic and get off of government freebies. But when stuff like that is mentioned we get people playing the racism card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: