Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 11:30 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Yeah, I know. Some people may come to this message board and take such assertions as fact by accident, so I'd prefer to correct the record. Although these are just message boards, I'm sure City Data wasn't intended as a place to just spread false information.
Gosh, yes. There's a reason why there's a whole sub-forum on politics and controversies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:02 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
He also made the Dems go completely insane and drop any pretense of being rational...open borders unlimited immigration...
Quote:
I haven't seen or heard evidence that a single elected Democrat that believes in this.
The Democrats, Illinois Democrats included, decided in the '90s that they could not win with the Americans who are already here and that encouraged them to do a 180 on immigration. If you go back into the NYT archives, you can see many editorials and op-eds from left-leaning columnists criticizing large-scale unskilled immigration. There is also a social media video website that allows you to see how people like Senator Feinstein have 'evolved' on the issue—opposing border enforcement, opposing immigration legislation that does not include an amnesty proposal, and so on. Here is the most important fact you need to remember when looking at the Democrats and Illinois Democrats' position—no Democratic Presidential candidate has won a majority of white voters since 1964. Yes, not since 1964.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM

949 posts, read 571,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Yes, I didn't understand that point either. Trump aside, the Republican Party has been the most enthusiastic about free trade and opposed to protectionism in the modern era. The GOP has been behind every trade agreement, including those signed into law by Democratic presidents. As for myself, I am a supporter of both right-to-work and reduced barriers to trade. Those things usually go hand-in-hand, and they are some of the key reasons that my party preference is GOP.
Constrains prevent free trade when deficits on one side of the ledger have bottom line consequences that cannot be overcome without adding value, fees or taxes.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:43 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Here is the most important fact you need to remember when looking at the Democrats and Illinois Democrats' position—no Democratic Presidential candidate has won a majority of white voters since 1964. Yes, not since 1964.
Hiruko, I appreciate this fact. I was aware of it. However, this might be the least important fact I've ever read on City Data even if I hadn't already known it.

Someone else already mentioned in this thread, but both parties generally have been big proponents of unskilled immigration.

Plenty of people's positions evolve. Literally every 2016 Republican primary candidate evolved their position over the course of two months.

Again, I have yet to hear anyone say lets just open the borders, Republican or Democrat. If you'd like to post evidence here, I'll read it.

Old 04-23-2019, 12:55 PM

997 posts, read 849,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
MS likes to deal in excessive hyperbole ...or he/she's so irrationally spiraled down the rabbit hole that he thinks the vast majority of Democrats believe or advocate for all of these points, and he/she doesn't bother to make any effort to discern rational proposals. Just like the cuckoos on the right fringe advocating for ludicrous policies, those on the far left make up a small number of individuals.
He’s pretty good at getting thread topics shut down too.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:44 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
I haven't seen or heard evidence that a single elected Democrat that believes in this.
Ever hear of a sanctuary city [or state]? We don't even cooperate in deporting criminals victimizing our citizens.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Democrats believe or advocate for all of these points, and he/she doesn't bother to make any effort to discern rational proposals.
I don't expect anything rational from a party that thinks it is acceptable to send 5 figure a year tax bills to working families to pay for bad/self-serving government.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Oy. Vey.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
If you're referring to the Smollett thing, I'm guessing like 5% or less of people think this was handled appropriately.
It isn't just Smollett he was just a high profile example. She is refusing to prosecute for entire categories of crimes. Heck no need to even pay for things at the store in Cook Co she is not prosecuting for shoplifting. The police are so demoralized and fed up with her office they issued a joint no confidence in her and asked her to resign.

It also isn't just her. In places like Seattle and San Francisco the police won't even bother showing up unless there is serious violence.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:53 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Ever hear of a sanctuary city [or state]? We don't even cooperate in deporting criminals victimizing our citizens.
I have. That's not an open border. I certainly appreciate the nuance of immigration laws, but calling everything an open border is inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois