Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM

233 posts, read 82,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Didn't New York City declare bankruptcy in 1975?
I think they were literally on the brink back in the 70’s but they came out of it and NOW they’re at the same point they were at back in the 70’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 PM

2,177 posts, read 1,806,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgzown View Post
Wait, are you serious? Do you know what’s going on in the world? You talk about Illinois being bankrupt and Chicago being a dump. Chicago is a global destination. 55 million tourists last year. Makes 609 billion dollars annually. So it’s just enough to keep Illinois afloat. Speaking of which, why don’t you talk about California going bankrupt? They owe 1 trillion, possibly more in unfunded pensions. Texas? It’s going bankrupt. How about New York City? And on and on. Every city known to mankind has areas that are an eyesore. I hate to say this but do you even know what Chicago looks like? Because you sound like you don’t. Sorry, but it needed to be said...
Dcisive has made his "d"ecision.

I will just continue enjoying the world class city I reside in. Continue to eat great food, meet interesting people, walk to my train, drink way better beer, go to better city beaches and well, you get the idea.

Funny, the other night I was talking to a new neighbor of mine. He said they've lived in Brooklyn, Toronto, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and felt that our neighborhood in Chicago was the best neighborhood he'd ever lived in, and it wasn't even close.

I just laugh at these comments. Let him think Chicago is a crap hole - less competition for housing and dinner reservations.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:18 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,337,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Now that I no longer live in the Midwest I feel comfortable commenting. I lived in both Illinois and Wisconsin. I'll take Wisconsin every day of the week. Better more sensible people, better manners and better attitudes. Not the FIB's that flee to Wisconsin for their vacations to dump their trash and attitudes and head home to their pressure cooker lives. Besides Illinois at the rate it's going will be bankrupt anyway. Especially with the dump of a city known as Chicago. I grew up there when it was a decent place but today you can flush the toilet as far as I'm concerned. Won't be through there the remainder of my life thankfully. Wisconsin on the other hand remains in a high place in my memory.......the place, the people, the land and the water. All more than just refreshing as compared to being south of that border.
Seriously? The dump of the city known as Chicago? A record 58 million tourists last year enjoying a world class city, this post says more about you and your attitude or tastes than Illinois and Chicago. Thanks for not coming back ever, one less malcontent to deal with.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,844,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I am sure you heard of the M*******s.
That' s a nickname given to this state by ANYONE outside of Massachusetts, not just other New Englanders. Funny how many MA natives won't argue the point, though..

Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,996,987 times
https://www.thecentersquare.com/illi...8ec3c4af1.html

"Due to a new broadening of the sales tax, Illinois residents won’t get as much back in value when they trade in their cars for new ones.Beginning in 2020, a new law signed by Gov. J.B. Pritzker will apply Illinois’ sales tax to any traded-in vehicle’s worth over $10,000. That means trading in a $30,000 car for one worth $60,000 will cost the customer an extra $1,200 in additional sales taxes."

Even for out of state purchases, democrats never met a sales tax on the street they didn't like. I'm sure the defenders will say..."but but other states tax soda, air, oxygen and trade in cars. Besides it's only a small fee" or they will argue they are closing a loop hole, which is said anytime anyone doesn't give their money to the "gubment".

Old 08-02-2019, 09:27 AM

629 posts, read 534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
https://www.thecentersquare.com/illi...8ec3c4af1.html

"Due to a new broadening of the sales tax, Illinois residents won’t get as much back in value when they trade in their cars for new ones.Beginning in 2020, a new law signed by Gov. J.B. Pritzker will apply Illinois’ sales tax to any traded-in vehicle’s worth over $10,000. That means trading in a $30,000 car for one worth $60,000 will cost the customer an extra $1,200 in additional sales taxes."

Even for out of state purchases, democrats never met a sales tax on the street they didn't like. I'm sure the defenders will say..."but but other states tax soda, air, oxygen and trade in cars. Besides it's only a small fee" or they will argue they are closing a loop hole, which is said anytime anyone doesn't give their money to the "gubment".
ouch, combine that with the highest sales taxes in the nation and that sucks! I would imagine this will lead to a lot more private party sales and scams... nice job JB looking out for the middle class!!!

Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
ouch, combine that with the highest sales taxes in the nation and that sucks! I would imagine this will lead to a lot more private party sales and scams... nice job JB looking out for the middle class!!!
I predict that this law will be changed in a few years, or some sort of additional credit will be re-legislated (similar to current law).

In reality though, the new vehicle is also financed most of the time, so it’s not particularly significant.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:44 AM

638 posts, read 237,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgzown View Post
Wait, are you serious? Do you know what’s going on in the world? You talk about Illinois being bankrupt and Chicago being a dump. Chicago is a global destination. 55 million tourists last year. Makes 609 billion dollars annually. So it’s just enough to keep Illinois afloat. Speaking of which, why don’t you talk about California going bankrupt? They owe 1 trillion, possibly more in unfunded pensions. Texas? It’s going bankrupt. How about New York City? And on and on. Every city known to mankind has areas that are an eyesore. I hate to say this but do you even know what Chicago looks like? Because you sound like you don’t. Sorry, but it needed to be said...

All of that, and people are still fleeing the state... and while parts of the city are world class, the other 2/3 is garbage, the middle class in the state is vanishing.. and the state and their taxes are throwing gas on the fire..

And how about your provide a link that shows Texas is going bankrupt?? Prior you posted Dallas had a pension issues as serious as Chicago, that took about 30 seconds to prove you were full of crap..

Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,200,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
All of that, and people are still fleeing the state... and while parts of the city are world class, the other 2/3 is garbage, the middle class in the state is vanishing.. and the state and their taxes are throwing gas on the fire..

And how about your provide a link that shows Texas is going bankrupt?? Prior you posted Dallas had a pension issues as serious as Chicago, that took about 30 seconds to prove you were full of crap..
TX problem with debt is well acknowledged.

https://www.city-journal.org/html/de...xas-13556.html

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politic...ing-debts/amp/

https://www.texaspolicy.com/fragilit...blic-pensions/

Old 08-02-2019, 03:02 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,721,204 times
It is just amazing if not interesting that among a number of forums I visit (from various places I've either lived in or traveled to for my work when I was a national sales rep) to see the utter delusion so many are will to create in order to live in a place and situation that for most that have both eyes open would find untenable. The term "to each their own" sure does apply here. I for one have no desire to live somewhere where I have to so much as have it in the back of my mind that my well being or life would potentially be in any danger nor a place I happen to KNOW is unfairly taxing me. BOTH of those most certainly DO apply to Illinois in general and most certainly the greater Northern portion including the Chicago metro. It is a VERY faint speck of a place I recalled growing up and living there in the 50's, 60's and 70's. When a person (white) could hop on a CTA bus and travel virtually anywhere they wanted to cheap, and safely. Where a trip downtown was free of concerns for one's safety let alone if they drove and wanted to find competent parking not worrying about damage to their vehicle. You lifers there can argue till you turn blue but I'm sorry to say anyone defending the way it currently is there be it their State government or anything remotely close to the greater Chicago area is purely delusional. As they say "good luck with that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois